I make all my horses picky.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

I make all my horses picky.

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:54 pm

In the beginning of my life with horses I didn't think about it, but I realize now I make all my horses picky. I notice this most of all with Leo because when he came here he would eat anything. He certainly was not picky and now after a few years with me it's like this. I have some very nice hay orchard grass/alfalfa left over from last year. I got new exquisite orchard grass/alfalfa hay this year. He will only eat the new hay. He turns his nose up at everything else. And I have made him this way just like I did with all my other horses.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: I make all my horses picky.

Postby PaulaO » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:01 pm

Don't we all if we have the chance?????? Yesterday I hand fed Ariel. :roll:

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:04 pm

Rockabilly wrote:And I have made him this way just like I did with all my other horses.

Fortunately, most of mine are fat, because the ones that aren't get whatever they want as often as they want. They seem to like variety, so wander around eating a little of this and a little of that, including the stemmy diet hay.

The chubbies though, only get the stemmy hay, and they can eat it or not, as they wish, because they could stand to lose some weight, anyway.

Course, after a day or two of picking through it they adjust and then start cleaning it up, which is why they're chubby. That, and I'm feeding from round bales and forking the hay out to them, and I just can't seem to stop giving them an extra forkful, just so they don't run out and develop ulcers.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:33 pm

PaulaO wrote:Don't we all if we have the chance?????? Yesterday I hand fed Ariel. :roll:

Your comment got me thinking. No. We don't all. I used to get very mean to the picky horses, and gave them gobs of the food they didn't like. And they had to suck it up. It gave me far greater pleasure to give the GOOD tasting hay to the low-man-on-the-totem-pole horse who was always grateful for even scraps the others left behind.

I loved the grateful horses.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:21 pm

I use the old hay before switching to the new, that way it never sufferes by comparison. I also feed good but stemmier hay so that they can have free choice all day. I think it prevents ulcers and vices.

I do think websomewhat create our horse preferences , rockabilly, :)

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:45 pm

LOL, I'm a bit mean too, if they don't eat it they go hungry :)
Saying that, I do try and find nice hay etc.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:54 pm

Meanie here too. I also feed out the older hay and the fatties get the less rich hay while the oldsters who need more calories get the better stuff. I'd rather have them eating more of the less rich hay for extended time that snarfing down the candy. Most of them are out on grass all day long so they get plenty.

Threeponies
Greenie

Postby Threeponies » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:33 pm

Me too Rockabilly. I give him more hay than he should eat twice a day. And if there is any left I clean it all up so the fresh hay doesn't mix with the stale hay from 12 hours before :) If it's not up to standard he won't even look at it.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Threeponies wrote:Me too Rockabilly. I give him more hay than he should eat twice a day. And if there is any left I clean it all up so the fresh hay doesn't mix with the stale hay from 12 hours before :) If it's not up to standard he won't even look at it.

That's what I do with the hard keepers. I give them more hay than they can eat so they can pick out the best of it, and then I fork what's left over in to the fatties. I feed a native mixed grass hay though, so there's clover and alfalfa mixed in with the grasses, so if they have enough of it they can leave the coarser, stemmier hay.

Threeponies
Greenie

Postby Threeponies » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:45 pm

He's not a hard keeper though. He's a fatty.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:51 pm

Threeponies wrote:He's not a hard keeper though. He's a fatty.

Tsk, tsk, we should be helping the fatties with their diets, not enabling them. :-)

It's taken me all summer with an almost total ban on pasture to get some of the weight off my mule, and now he's looking better just in time to get his winter coat so that I can't tell what's going on under there.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Bob's barn manager would feed according to need and um... "girth." There was hard keeper hay, average joe hay, and hay for the big guys and gals, also known as munchy or outdoor hay.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:41 pm

PaulaO wrote:Bob's barn manager would feed according to need and um... "girth." There was hard keeper hay, average joe hay, and hay for the big guys and gals, also known as munchy or outdoor hay.

That's my strategy. I call it busy hay, fatty hay or old man (or woman) hay. I always have 3 grades.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:50 am

I think that you have to feed your horses the best hay you can give them - whatever type of hay the horse needs. If it means lower calories or whatever, then that is the best hay for that horse. One thing I refuse to do is feed poor quality hay to any horse. (That's what cows are for.)

If me being choosy about what I give them means the horse is choosier and won't eat hay that's not good quality, so be it. We are the horses' steward in life and it is our obligation to make sure they get appropriate nutrition.

It is not good horsemanship to throw crappy hay at a horse and expect them to eat it OR to overfeed a fat one.

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:58 pm

I do the same thing as rockabilly, sigh. I had one that would eat an empty grain bag if I let her, now she is picking through the stemmy first cut I'm trying to use up after having some very nice stuff earlier in the year.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”