Quicker mind/body reaction time?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Quicker mind/body reaction time?

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:30 pm

This is about training ME, so I will post here instead of in the training forum.

Rode last night. Warmed up outside, then went indoors to practice 2 point and trotting. Once again she was good at the mounting block. Very forward. Nice trotting, but when I did 2 point in trot, I felt like she was going to bolt off and I panicked. I said loudly “Ariel, HO!” and got mental and fell forward and of course everyone looked at me. I remembered what Kim said about slowing her down—better to put her in a circle instead of pulling on her, so I did and Ariel was fine. I felt like such an ass. Like I didn’t know how to ride, that everyone was judging me. I felt out of control but neither of us were. She was just getting faster and for a split second I didn’t know how to deal with it.

I know what to do; my body doesn’t trust my mind, and my mind reacts slowly. I need a quicker mind/body connection. How to work on that?????

StraightForward

Re: Quicker mind/body reaction time?

Postby StraightForward » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:07 pm

If you can, embrace the forward. There is nothing about faster trotting, or cantering off, that is going to unseat you. She is a kind horse that isn't going to try anything dirty with you, so I think I would just work on asking for the forward, and then bringing it back repeatedly until you feel confident that even if she goes more forward than you want, it's not the end of the world, and you can just stay with her quietly.
Keep calm and canter on.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:11 pm

More lessons - that's the short answer :D Until muscle memory becomes the default and takes over.

Here's the other thing I will just say, if you have fear issues (which I do - I have been very open about them over the years) about the last thing I would do is work on 2 point. Because that puts you out of balance and you are more likely to go popping off the front end if you freeze up. Work on transitions on a circle. Forward and back, forward and back. Sitting trot, posting trot, walk, canter, etc. Do it in increments of a 1/4 circle, then 1/2 circle, then full circle, then 2 circles, etc.

And stop caring about what other people think, just ride your horse. Easier said than done, I know.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:31 pm

Next time you want to practice 2 pt how about starting it on the same size circle you use to slow her down, and then when she's calm about it make the circle bigger until you're on the rail again?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:16 pm

its just time in the saddle. I have told this story before so it might really be boring to you/others but after the fire, every time i got on a horse I had feelings of anxiety. I am not even sure why i was anxious, every horse was new to me, yes, and i was in a new barn, yes, but i have changed locations before . anyway the why is less important. I simply got on and rode every day. i have never had a single perfect day riding, so it was simply about forgiving my and my horses mistakes, learning from them and putting my behind in the saddle

after a while my body and mind started agreeing with each other, and then after a while longer the feelings of anxiety would only arise in certain conditions ( horrible storm, horse being particularly anxious, horse bolting)

and as time has passed i have found that there is more quiet confidence, more enjoyment, more tact, less need to cope with anxiety.

it sounds very cliche, but just do it

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:53 pm

exploding pony wrote:And stop caring about what other people think, just ride your horse. Easier said than done, I know.

This! It will make a difference. If I were riding with you in the ring, and you said "Ariel HO!" I would have probably glanced over to make sure you were okay, but other than that, I got my own stuff to work on! Don't worry about what other people are doing!

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:26 am

Lots of great suggestions- I echo the one about two point. What has helped me to deal with this sort of thing is to visualize what I'm afraid of and then what my response would be. I believe I found this in one of jane Savoie's books and it really was helpful

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Teresa, that's my problem. I'm not afraid, I just don't know what to do in the split second between "she's moving faster" and "oh yeah, put her in a circle." My body reacts defensively before my common sense/knowledge kicks in. Two point only at the walk, or a quarter circle at the trot.

Lots of good ideas here, and thank you for reminding me that Ariel is a kind horse. I wrote out a plan for tonight's session (if my migraine goes away--took Sumatriptan and still feel queasy).

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:35 pm

It sounds like she may have been lengthening her stride which felt so different. How about alternating between posting and 2 point for a few strides. Then if you can circle to regain your rhythm and try again. When you feel more comfortable you can do a longer distance at 2 point - so start with only a few strides. She is a very sweet mare so remember that she is your new partner. It's hard to not be defensive if you had some bad scares in the past. Just breathe.....

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Last night it was bedlam in the arena. Three jumping lessons going on in the far end, a flat lesson at my end, and the teenage girls canteringcanteringcantering a horse. One would finish and another would get on. Plus the one sitting on the horse bareback in the middle of the arena telling the canterer what to do.

Miss A. was good as gold. We did a lot of walking and I made her move out, then come back, move out, then come back. Two pointed in the walk. Trotting did the same thing, made her move out, then come back. I was able to say to myself "this is what is happening, this is what you need to do." I repeated "she is a kind horse and won't do anything intentional."

So even though I didn't get to do as much as I wanted, it was successful. Thank you for all your suggestions. Now we need to work on her moving away from my leg....

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:51 am

Is Ms Ariel use to being ridden in a two point seat? If not, you may have frightened her so she sped up.

I am being taught when my mare speeds up to do a circle, if she stays quick, keep on the circle making it really, really small.

As for what others think, let me tell you there are a few where I board that watch me and probably think, omg this girl SUCKS! They could do so much better on my greenie. But, I'm working very hard, I'm dedicated to being a better rider for me and my horse! I know I'm improving and really don't give a flying sh$$ what anyone thinks!

I'm an older timid rider who is trying not to be timid. Thank goodness I have an understanding trainer, who works hard to keep me safe and progressing. Truly, if I rode the sh$$ out of her and wacked her, She'd launch me off. she demands kindness, softness and respect. She's very sensitive,so I fully respect that. If one of these " better" riders got on her, I'd guess they would not last long, and she'd launch them!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”