My dog, Cloud passed away with morning on his own.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

My dog, Cloud passed away with morning on his own.

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:59 pm

I want to tell Cloud's story because I think he had a hard life. He came to me many years ago as an orphan. I was feeding the horses one Fall afternoon and I saw a white dog coming down the road with something attached to me. I couldn't tell what it was and I thought he would continue on down the road, but when I went inside the barn there he was sitting in the corner of a horse stall. He had about 8 to 10 tin cans tied to his tail. I didn't know what he would do so I put on my leather gloves and cut the cans off his tail. I got up and thought what to do with you because the inn was full. He stuck to my leg like glue and I put him in the loft for the night. The next morning I took him to the vet where the vet had to sedate him to get the string off his tail. It was infected and embedded. When they brought him out to me bathed and groomed he looked like a Cloud so I named him Cloud. He was a Eskimo Spitz.

So the years go on and Cloud is the sweetest dog on the planet. I always thought he needed his own person, but he never had that here because all the others needed as much love as he did. He had one fatal flaw. He killed ducks. After the last duck he killed this past March I was just done, you know?
My husband said you need to find him a new home and finally I thought I did too. So through some reputable people I found this 78 year old man who was looking for a companion. We talked quite a bit and met at the vet's office. I was very comfortable with this man. He said he lived alone and wanted a companion. I said, well, if you want someone to sit on the couch with you and watch television Cloud is the perfect one for it. So I sent Cloud home with him, bathed and groomed, a big bag of his food, treats and flea and worm medication. I called twice in the week to see how Cloud was doing and they said he was doing fine. What a relief, I thought. On a Tuesday I got a message from a animal shelter about 40 miles from us. The animal control officer had picked up Cloud running the streets. Here I thought Cloud was on the couch watching TV and he was loose running the streets. The woman acted like I knew he was lost, but I had no idea because I had given Cloud to this old man. How Cloud got so far away and running the streets of a busy small city I have no idea. I called and called and the people I gave Cloud too never answered my calls or returned my messages so I never knew what happened. I went the next day and picked Cloud up. He was estatic to see me. I gave him away and he was so happy to see me. So, he was home again and our solution for duck killing was to put a muzzle on him. It worked well and Cloud was so happy to be home. Last week he got sick and I took him to the vet. Cloud had congestive heart failure. They were treating it when they found cancer in his lungs. He passed away on his own this morning. The vet said he just quit breathing. Cloud was about 15 years old. I wished I could have done better for him.

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: My dog, Cloud passed away with morning on his own.

Postby exvet » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:14 pm

My condolences and it sounds to me that you actually served him well. He was happy in the end, not suffering and in reality that is all that matters.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:22 pm

I agree. You did the best you could at every moment, and at the most important time to do the best, you did. Are there lessons to be learned? I hope we all constantly learn lessons from those around us. He died happy, warm and safe. Hugs to you dear cyber friend!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:28 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss.
I'm a firm believer that sometimes our pets choose us, and not the other way around. It sounds to me like Cloud chose you, and was happy.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:53 pm

Trish, I'm so sorry. Yes, Cloud had a rough start, but he landed with you. You did what was right and even if the man was not a good guardian, Cloud came back to you because the universe righted itself. Take care.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:11 pm

Dogs like Cloud are the reason I go out of the house with blinders on. There are so many needy pets and I just can't let my sympathies get engaged.

He was lucky to have found you. I'm sorry things didn't work out with the old man, though. I bet he was grieving the dog, too.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm sorry for your loss.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:33 pm

Thank you all so much because I knew you would understand. I knew I could tell all the story even the part about me giving Cloud away because I knew you would understand. I do think Cloud was meant to come back to me. It's where he wanted to be. I can tell I was upset when I posted this because I made so many spelling and grammar mistakes.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:10 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. You did right by Cloud.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:34 pm

I am sorry you lost your friend. I am glad you were able to compromise and keep him til the end.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:27 pm

Sorry for your loss :( What an interesting story! Maybe the man died or got sick, but it's great that he went back to you when he needed to.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:47 am

I've been thinking about Cloud today and I remember how he loved to ride the lawn tractor with me. He would go anywhere as long as he was on the tractor.

awa
Novice

Postby awa » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:28 am

So sorry for your loss, Trish. You made Cloud happy twice...meant to be.

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:56 am

So sorry to read this :(

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”