Business Awards Dinner - Appropriate Attire?

Astral
Herd Member

Business Awards Dinner - Appropriate Attire?

Postby Astral » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:11 am

The organization I work for is being awarded by the regional business review.... and I have to go to the awards dinner. What does one wear to such a thing? In one of the emails, it said attire is "business." What does that even mean? Because of my role in the organization, my daily "business attire" tends to be jeans and tee shirts :roll:
(I always thought that at this point in my life, I'd know how to dress myself...)

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Business Awards Dinner - Appropriate Attire?

Postby heddylamar » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:55 am

I have the same frame of reference, and two girlfriends who are always comfortably, yet impeccably dressed. So I ask myself "what would Lauren/Belle wear?"

Check some of Banana Republic's upper/mid-range dresses. While they may not be to your taste, I find that's a good starting point for me to search for something 1/4 the price. I generally go with a dress for nice occasions -- one piece, no thinking about coordinating top/bottom.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Yes, a dress, maybe with a little jacket/shrug. For shopping online, try Nordstrom's. They have a large selection.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:46 pm

I would do a dress with simple clean lines and a small heel. If you end up with a black dress/sheath you can always wear a pretty louder colored shrug to a little bling.

If you really are not a dress person - a nice pair of dark pants, pretty blouse and a jacket would be appropriate.

Business attire is not business casual.

I just went to a business luncheon and wore a dress/hose - yes, some of us still wear sheer pantyhose - and a low heel. I had the PERFECT matching shoes for the dress but they were a sandal and high - so I opted for simple black low heeled pump.

Enjoy the dinner and awards program....

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:53 pm

I still wear stockings. I go bare legged in the summer when it's hot, but stockings the rest of the year and for dress-up.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:35 pm

Business attire doesn't have to be a dress. It can be slacks with a tailored jacket or nice sweater with a blouse or nice top underneath.

Google "business attire for women." You'll see lots of options and can choose what you feel is right for you.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:55 pm

I agree with KathyK. I'm from an older generation before casual attire was allowed in the work place when women wore skirt suits. We never showed bared skin back then as in sleeveless blouses or bare legs - no open toe shoes either. :shock: (I'm really dating myself.) I think a professional pants or skirt suit with a nice scarf to dress it up would be appropriate. A low dress heel shoe with stockings is what I would wear.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:20 am

Black dress pants, black pumps, silk blouse or dressy sweater with a bit of jewelry.

Dresses are trickier - if you go with a dress, I would get a better sense of how formal. There is a big difference between business dresses and party dresses, if you know what I mean. If you have a black dress that isn't overly dressy, that would work.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:39 pm

It's a tricky situation. It's an awards dinner, which to me calls for a party dress. But the invitation says business, which to me is a conservative outfit. My style of dresses is either a wrap dress (think Diane von Furstenburg) or a fit and flare dress (fitted bodice, fuller skirt). Both are appropriate for business, and can be made dressier with a scarf, jewelry, or a jacket (but not all 3). I don't know what your budget is, but I found my friend's mother of the groom dress on Overstock for under $50!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:18 pm

It doesn't matter if you are overdressed, only underdressed.

I'd pick a nice dress, or a pair of dressy pants with a blouse and nice jacket/shrug/cardigan/shawl/wrap. Heels, if you have them. Simple jewellery, if any.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:16 am

Go shopping at a JJill near you. They have some great outfits and their staff is really helpful. If no stores, try Jjill.com

I love their clothes!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”