Do any of you make your own pizza dough?

Amado
Herd Member

Do any of you make your own pizza dough?

Postby Amado » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:30 pm

Except for the time I did the overnight no knead artisan bread recipe in a dutch oven from the NYT, my yeast breads are never as "chewy" as I'd like - especially the pizza dough. I'm wondering if its because I'm not actually working it enough to get the texture I like. Do any of you make bread?

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Do any of you make your own pizza dough?

Postby kande50 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:35 pm

Amado wrote:Except for the time I did the overnight no knead artisan bread recipe in a dutch oven from the NYT, my yeast breads are never as "chewy" as I'd like - especially the pizza dough. I'm wondering if its because I'm not actually working it enough to get the texture I like. Do any of you make bread?

I usually make it from the overnight dough, but have made it from kneaded dough and yes, I think longer rising and more kneading does make for a thicker crust and a chewier dough because the gluten develops longer strands. I also seldom add any oil, or milk, or eggs, so it's usually just all purpose flour, yeast, salt and water.

I don't like pizza dough as chewy so try not to knead it as much. It also helps considerably to spread it out on oiled pan and then let it rest for 15 minutes and then it'll spread out even more without such a fight.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:40 pm

It also helps to add extra gluten (if you don't want to wait over night).

Feder
Greenie

Postby Feder » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:26 pm

Nope, I am addicted to my take and bake pizza places!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:02 pm

I am a pizza snob. I make my own crust and sauce. I use 00 flour for the crust. I make it one day and put it in the refrigerator overnight. I bring it out the next day and let it sit on the counter a couple of hours. I put it on a pizza stone to bake. I have a picture of it, but have no idea how to post it here.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:16 pm

When I make pizza dough with flour, I use the dough cycle on my bread machine. The result is pretty good.

This summer I've been making a crust with a shredded zucchini base, in an effort to use up the abundance of squash. I would never mistake it for a "normal" pizza, but it is a good vehicle for getting good sauce, chopped vegies, and cheese into my mouth!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Rockabilly wrote:I am a pizza snob. I make my own crust and sauce. I use 00 flour for the crust. I make it one day and put it in the refrigerator overnight. I bring it out the next day and let it sit on the counter a couple of hours. I put it on a pizza stone to bake. I have a picture of it, but have no idea how to post it here.

Where do you get your 00 flour?

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:24 pm

The only way for me to get the 00 flour around here is to order it online. I ordered it from Amazon.

PrairieSky
Greenie

Postby PrairieSky » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:59 pm

I use the olive oil pizza dough recipe from the book Artisan Bread in 5 minuets a day -- it's a no knead dough (and I also use the 00 flour from Italy (via Amazon) it seems to be much more elastic ... and bakes on a pizza stone in 5-6 minutes @550 if it isn't too thick.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:06 pm

I have probably made a few ten thousand or so balls of pizza dough. I was a baker that supplied the dough for a pizzeria.

Anyway, as I used a 70 quart mixer I don't think anyone wants that particular recipe, and I'd be shot if I gave it out anyway. ;)

Basically it was a high quality high gluten dough, regular rise yeast, a bit of sugar, a bit of molasses, salt and some olive oil.

I would use ice cold water to make the dough as the mixing process would warm the dough enough by itself. I'd mix until the gluten would just barely begin to snap. Then I'd portion the dough, pull it into a ball and freeze them immediately. Once thawed the balls would be usable for a few days, any longer than that they would over proof and be too flabby to toss.

The dough made a great thin crust pizza and was stretchy enough to be able to be tossed well.

mzloolue
Greenie

Postby mzloolue » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:42 pm

Like Canyon I have made it in the bread machine on the pizza dough setting.

It is easy and decent.
But I am learning some things from this thread.:)

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:51 pm

Like Rockabilly, I am also a pizza dough snob! Actually, the thought of one of us in west Tennessee and one of us in east Tennessee being snobby about pizza dough makes me giggle :D :D

FWIW, I find the flavor is enhanced when I incorporate some levain from my DH's sourdough starter. I am also a fan of 00 flour and incorporating some semolina. But unlike the OP, I like a very thin, crispy pizza. So probably don't listen to me!!!

One nice reference for pizza dough is The Village Baker by Joe Ortiz. Great bread book.

p.s. I also make a foccacia-style dough sometimes for "hippy-style" chewy pizza. That is so different from real pizza that it needs another name...but some big crust pizza-lovers are very into it.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:45 pm

I follow SmittenKitchen's slow-rise pizza dough recipe. She has adjustments for 6-8, 12 and 18-24 hour versions (the amount of yeast varies). Basically mix and leave until you want to use it. Lovely recipe.

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:46 pm

I make my own sourdough pizza dough.
My non-sourdough pizza dough tends to be questionable, though...

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:40 pm

I do, and I use the bread machine on the dough setting to mix and proof the dough, then I punch and roll or stretch to desired shape/thickness.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:08 pm

I gave my bread machine away years ago. Got tired of trying to find space to store it, and every time I made a loaf, I'd eat it all waaay too quickly. WIth butter and honey...!

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:08 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions! (what the heck is 00 flour?)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:22 pm

I am reviving this thread because today for lunch I used my new 00 flour which I got off Amazon! It made the perfect pizza crust! I have been working hard to get that exact crust and was finally able to do so today. YAY for Amazon for carrying it and YAY for Rockabilly for letting me know they did!

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:22 pm

OH….I am thinking I need to order some 00 flour from Amazon….does King Arthur have 00 flour? Off to look….

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Postby gypsy still flies » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:17 pm

I think the Knight of Columbus Hall behind my house make a great pizza. No need for me to try when they do a great job with the crust.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:17 am

Yeah, but you have seen where I live Gypsy. There's nothing behind my house but woods

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”