Home improvement folks - paint color quest

snftrs2
Greenie

Home improvement folks - paint color quest

Postby snftrs2 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi!
I'm finally painting the outside of my house and the neighborhood is quietly cheering ... No more gross of that beat up, gross yellowy pinky beige-y color.

The body of the house is a light gray-blue or blue-gray with white trim and gutters. Whether it's blue or gray depends on the light and your eyesight but most folks say "more blue than gray".

My question: what color of white trim will tone down the blue-ishness and keep it tilting toward being gray? I'd like the white trim to 'pop' a little but not at the expense of making the whole house look blue.

Any advice? White with yellow undertone? Blue? Red? I painted some sample whites on the trim and really couldn't figure it out.

TIA!

Feder
Greenie

Re: Home improvement folks - paint color quest

Postby Feder » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:11 am

Can you post pictures?

snftrs2
Greenie

Postby snftrs2 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:21 am

Sure! I think so anyway. I was hoping to avoid the humiliation of the 'before' shot and just post the 'after'. :lol:

clanter
Herd Member

Postby clanter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:23 pm

play with this program a little, there are (somewhere) programs where you can use a picture of your house to play with colors

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/#/active

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:55 pm

Can you get some small (pint) cans of different whites and paint sample areas to see what works???

That's what I would recommend doing (and in a few places on different sides of the house so you can see it as the light changes).

Idofly
Greenie

Postby Idofly » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:14 pm

Don't do what my cousin and I did.

We painted the trim on one window with one version of the trim color and another window with the other choice. Except we did it on different sides of the house so the light wasn't the same. If you do test trims...make sure they are on the same side of the house. (We made ourselves crazy...Alcoa white or Mastic white...blue-ish or cream-ish...) The joke is that my cousin and I will probably both end up in hell and have to pick paint colors together for eternity as our punishment.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:46 pm

It might depend upon whether your house is brick, or wood siding, and how much trim is around windows, soffits, attic, etc. Out here in the country, I've seen the blue/gray houses (mostly clapboard siding) use a cream (not white) colored trim around windows and doors. Often, since they are bungalow-type styles, a "barn red" is then used on the most interior window trim (the wood that contains the window panes themselves, usually double-hung windows). Then the same "barn red" is used for the front door. Makes a very 'country' type look, easy on the eye. Just a thought.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”