bathroom remodelers?

carpevita
Herd Member

bathroom remodelers?

Postby carpevita » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:00 pm

Anyone here know the straight poop on new fangled jetted tubs?
The house I'm buying has a huge walk-in shower---I prefer a deep jetted tub for myself.(knowing someday I may have to go back to a walk-in, but for now I want a tub!)
I'll measure later today, it appears I have at least 5' x 3' so plenty of room.
My last tub was a real pain to keep clean, I had to fill it up to blow the jets clear of dust and dead bugs, then drain and refill to finally bathe--it wasted 90 gallons of water and an hour before I could relax in the darn thing.

So, what is the cleanest, best jetted and cheapest these days?

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: bathroom remodelers?

Postby Canyon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:58 pm

A local outfit that remodels bathrooms advertises walk-in bath tubs. Some models come with jets; I wonder if something like that would be a good compromise?

I would prefer not to waste that amount of water; I'd rather have a hot tub outside!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:01 pm

I'm with Canyon. I'd rather have a tub outside that is full/warm all the time rather than deal with a huge tub indoors that takes a whole tank of water. I had a soaking tub, I couldn't fit in it and took a 50 gal tank of hot water and it still wasn't warm enough... (ignoring that it didn't even have jets).

My 2 cents...

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:47 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:I had a soaking tub, I couldn't fit in it and took a 50 gal tank of hot water and it still wasn't warm enough... (ignoring that it didn't even have jets).

My 2 cents...

Not a soaking tub, but jacuzzi tubs now come with heaters to help combat this issue. Some people choose not to purchase the heater though.

I have a jacuzzi tub, but I don't have problems with it getting dusty because it's a tub shower combo. Every so often, I will plug up the tub while I shower and rinse my hair, then add cleaner to that water and run it through the jets. It's been fairly low maintenance, but then, I have never actually used it to bathe..lol. My brother uses it every once in a while, and sometimes I let Tanner play in it with the jets on because he loves it so much.

Feder
Greenie

Postby Feder » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:28 pm

I have a soaking tub, no jets, and love it! No help on the jet tubs but totally understand why you want a tub over walk in.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:12 pm

I also think you should consider a SoftTub (hot tub) and keep the shower. Best of both worlds.

stella
Novice

Postby stella » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:24 pm

You're buying a house?? Details are kindly requested.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:57 am

I really don't want to care for or pay the electric bill on a hot tub at this time, so a deep jetted tub I can soak and shower in will do the job right now.

And yup, Stella, I am about to sign on a two family with my bff.
I should be in by the first of the year, if all goes according to plan. As a serial remodeler I am already making plans for my new space--new tub, stackable w/d, gas range to replace the cruddy electric one, and re-open the pocket door into the main house. The roof, windows and doors are all pretty new, and the view and land is pretty great. There's room for a barn and hens and a five acre pasture just waiting for Tundra and her future companions. The adjacent conserved land is a few hundred acres with a lovely trail system, and the lady at the end of the lane is eager to ride with us asap.

I am SO relieved to have a more permanent home than the camper!!
And a place for you to come visit when you want to ski!

stella
Novice

Postby stella » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:30 am

That's fantastic news!! YAY!!

I do not ski, however. On the other hand, if you wish to beach, I'm your destination. :)

Janet
Greenie

Postby Janet » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:00 pm

One more vote for the soaker tub! I LOVE mine - it is my retreat! I have tried the tubs with jets and the noise bothers me, and I agree with what others have said, they never get or stay hot enough. I just love soaking up to my neck in hot water listening to the wonderful sounds of silence - or my audio book! :D

Maple
Greenie

Postby Maple » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:15 pm

If you really want a jetted tub, get one with air jets. They are quieter, cleaner, and you can add stuff to the water and it won't gum up the works. Some of them even come with chromatherapy :)

I've always like the Bain Ultra brand tubs.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:28 pm

Janet that sounds ideal--I really want to be totally submerged as much as possible.
Oh I'm so glad you chimed in Maple!
Do you think air jets will be the most sanitary to maintain also?

Maple
Greenie

Postby Maple » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Air jets are the most sanitary, as no water or dampness remains in the supply lines or jet area, to grow mold and other yucky things :mrgreen:

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:27 am

I may go look at this one--the price is right but I cant tell if it will work in the space yet.

http://burlington.craigslist.org/for/5210445662.html

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”