Snowbird with horses?

goneriding
Herd Member

Snowbird with horses?

Postby goneriding » Mon May 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Has anyone ever undertaken a seasonal migration with horses? Mine would be just to escape winter, not for showing or training, though training opportunities would be a bonus. I am pondering a summer home base in the PNW and winters in Arizona, or maybe California if it was affordable. We would need to either own or rent a second small home, not interested in RV living (we are not rich but I think if we divided our expenses here into two smaller places it could work). I have 2 horses, and I will be happy to someday have 1.

I'm interested in hearing others' experiences, even if only loosely similar, esp dual homes, long travel with horses, managing a snowbird life, etc.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Snowbird with horses?

Postby piedmontfields » Mon May 22, 2017 5:46 pm

I am more familiar with people doing this on the east coast (winter in Florida, or sometimes NC/SC). As there are many seasonal boarding opportunities in Florida, this is quite possible. A small house/condo in Florida can also be quite affordable.

I wonder if Silverbridge would have some perspectives on seasonal AZ boarding?

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue May 23, 2017 3:58 am

I know lots of people do it here in Arizona. I don't have any personal experience. One of my neighbors runs a large public stable and they get regular snowbirds. Some bring their living quarters and live in them and others just board every winter. My neighbor is an eventer but their place has multiple arenas and caters to both English and western. Another neighbor had a regular boarder from Canada every winter. This snow bird would board the horse she was showing at her trainers and her companion/trail horse at my neighbors since it was cheaper. This neighbor just has 4 stalls and boarded an extra horse for the money. (I live in a horsey area). Another neighbor is a dressage trainer and at least 3 of her clients are snow birds. They all just packed up and hauled their horses out in the last few weeks. Snow birds with horses are pretty common and so are people who have winter homes. Prices will of course vary a lot depending on the area. In my area you can buy one plus acre horse property for about $300,000. Other areas can be a lot more and a few will be less..if you prefer to board and not buy horse property you can find just about any price range depending on the area. Prices for boarding vary a lot and depend on the amenities. You can still find a few under $400 but most dressage places will be higher. Full training will put you in the $800 to $1500 range and higher depending. Does this help?

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Tue May 23, 2017 4:35 am

Very common here. Most pros and some simpler snow birds follow the weather south for the winter

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue May 23, 2017 12:40 pm

You could simply move to the Medford OR area for the winter - the "banana belt". Get a little snow occasionally, but very little. Close, relatively inexpensive regarding travel and living expenses.

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Tue May 30, 2017 4:42 pm

Srhorselady wrote:I know lots of people do it here in Arizona. I don't have any personal experience. One of my neighbors runs a large public stable and they get regular snowbirds. Some bring their living quarters and live in them and others just board every winter. My neighbor is an eventer but their place has multiple arenas and caters to both English and western. Another neighbor had a regular boarder from Canada every winter. This snow bird would board the horse she was showing at her trainers and her companion/trail horse at my neighbors since it was cheaper. This neighbor just has 4 stalls and boarded an extra horse for the money. (I live in a horsey area). Another neighbor is a dressage trainer and at least 3 of her clients are snow birds. They all just packed up and hauled their horses out in the last few weeks. Snow birds with horses are pretty common and so are people who have winter homes. Prices will of course vary a lot depending on the area. In my area you can buy one plus acre horse property for about $300,000. Other areas can be a lot more and a few will be less..if you prefer to board and not buy horse property you can find just about any price range depending on the area. Prices for boarding vary a lot and depend on the amenities. You can still find a few under $400 but most dressage places will be higher. Full training will put you in the $800 to $1500 range and higher depending. Does this help?

That helps a lot, thanks!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”