I must be the world's worst packer...

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

I must be the world's worst packer...

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:14 am

I've just filled my suitcase with what I think (sitting up here on my mountainside in rural Utah after drinking half a bottle of wine,) is a carefully thought-out wardrobe of chic, coordinating clothing for a variety of social and casual events for ten days in London and the English countryside.

I know I'm going to get there and think "what rube packed this case and where were they going?"

What with that, and organizing the horses and the cats in my absence, and leaving the house in good order (I hate to come home after a trip to a messy house) to say nothing of my business, I often wonder if it's worth the stress to leave home...

However, we do get to meet our new grand daughter...

PaulaO

Re: I must be the world's worst packer...

Postby PaulaO » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:01 pm

Remember, there are shops across the pond. You can buy a new wardrobe at Marks & Sparks. Happy granddaughter! How fun!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:11 pm

I can sooo relate - I spend a long time deciding what to take on trips. I organize each outfit, coordinating my shoes, jewelry and purses to each one. I also take a few extra, just in case - good Lord, just in case of WHAT??? :lol:

Then I get there and I've either brought too much or not the right outfits for the weather. I just went to Florida and as a for instance, I took 6 pairs of shorts - didn't wear a single pair - it was too cold. Good thing I did take long pants and some summer weight sweaters!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:01 pm

I credit backpacking with semi-minimalistic packing. Only semi because, when I'm backpacking, it's seriously minimalistic!

Go enjoy your granddaughter! I'm sure you've got the rest taken care of :-)

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:40 pm

Sometimes I think it's harder to go away than to just stay home. Having to get everything ready for the animal caretaker, lists and lists of who gets what and when, vets numbers, back up numbers, making sure there is enough feed, supplements, and bedding for everyone, making sure all bird cages, litter boxes, and the house is clean, and checking that all the fences are in good repair are pretty stressing. Nevermind the DH who dumps some clothes into his suitcase and wonders why it takes me so long to get everything ready. Once you are away though, not much you can do except enjoy yourself and the new grandbaby!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Of course it's harder to go away. But that's one reason why it's good to go. And I, like Heddy, am a minimalist packer. I can fit everything I need for a week into an 18X14X8" pack (Spirit Airlines maximum free bag). I certainly don't look the best among my group, but I rarely have to borrow anything from anyone. AND I can move the fastest/most easily :lol:

I actually have one regular destination where I deliberately pack something to leave behind because I know of a great second-hand store to replenish my wardrobe.

MaryC
Novice

Postby MaryC » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:50 pm

My DD has taught me that you really can wear the same outfits over again and no one really cares! That, and my love of a small-size carry on. I'll do anything to be able to use it instead of something even a little bigger, so I pack very carefully! No more extra pairs of shoes, no "what if" outfits. Simple, interchangeable basics along with a scarf or necklace that makes it fancy if I need fancy. And then not panicking if I feel like I didn't pack right!!

That said, on a very casual business conference trip that unexpectedly included meeting DD's future MIL, I did go out and buy a new outfit! Had to mail it home. 8-)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”