Any Callie King Followers?

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Any Callie King Followers?

Postby Hayburner » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:15 pm

I have been following some of her training blogs and videos. I really like her style and simplicity. She has very good information for some of us older riders.

One thing that does bother me is that she uses food/treats in almost everything she teaches. One trainer I know does use sugar cubes before and after riding. Another trainer never offers any type of treat reward - but, does give ample pats/verbal praise.

I would worry that with all the reward treats horses would get mouthy. I currently give treats when I get to the barn and when I leave.

If you follow her, what do you think of her?

Do you give rewards/treats or verbal praise?

Sue B

Re: Any Callie King Followers?

Postby Sue B » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Both. First I tie food treat to "yes", after that food treat is randomly given with "yes". Horsie views "yes" same reward as food treat. Horses are never mouthy because they have to earn the treat (cannot demand treat) so even initiallt pushy, mouthy horses quickly learn to be polite.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:45 am

I do what sueB does, I tie treats to the word "cookie!" Then I can say cookie at any time and get the desired response. It's like clicker training without a clicker.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:37 pm

People say they never become mouthy but I've seen anxious repetitive behavior, like constantly bowing or lifting the leg or similar offers of tricks to get a treat.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:01 pm

My old retired guy frisks me after I give him one treat - he knows there are more somewhere on me...He's allowed since he's 31 and has earned the right to be that way.
Chisamba - That reminds me that he use to lift his leg to beg for a treat. I always thought it was so cute now that he's older he doesn't do it anymore. Thanks for bringing back that memory of his younger years. He's truly one in a million ! at least to me...LOL

Since my young mare is boarded I don't like her to get too many hand treats - others have to deal with her and I don't want her frisking them or nipping for a treat.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”