I resigned from my condo board

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

I resigned from my condo board

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:14 pm

Last fall I posted about resigning from my totally dysfunctional condo board. We haven't had a meeting since 2016 even though state law required a meeting 4 times a year. The president is an argumentative b!tch. The other 3 members are passive and only express opinions/thoughts when prodded. The straw that broke my back was thus. A resident called the management company to complain about bees. The manager checked and saw no evidence of bees. The resident called again and said she is allergic to bee stings, please check again. Manager asks the board what to do. I say "hire an exterminator, go to the condo with the exterminator, have exterminator write a report, and present it to the resident." The president's response was "too bad for them. I'm allergic to shellfish but don't ask people not to eat it around me." Fortunately another board member responded "the chance of you being attacked by lobster outside your door is highly unlikely. Call an exterminator."

A meeting has been called Thursday and the purpose is to elect board members. I informed the board that I will not be running for re-election. Now that monkey is off my back.

Hayburner

Re: I resigned from my condo board

Postby Hayburner » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:59 pm

Good for YOU ! I also live in a planned community with a management company and residents that are elected to position.
The last election was a JOKE - they did not give you a list of who was running nor their qualifications. You had to be at the scheduled meeting where they would give this information and you had to vote that night. Some of the people they have had in office have no business sense, so they spend money needlessly.

When I first moved there the rules were very strict on the color of roofs, what was allowed outside of your home, fence restrictions, etc. Now it seems many residents are just doing what they want and no one says anything about it. We have a very small pool and I mean small - they allow residents to bring 10 guests and there is no charge for guests. So you have people that bring their kids or grandkids and then they bring their friends. It's crazy !

I hope to never live in a planned (HOA) type community again.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:13 pm

The meeting was last night. It was the annual meeting so homeowners were invited. A handful showed up, all with valid complaints. Fortunately two volunteered to fill vacant positions and were immediately elected. Then the shouting started. I listened for 20 minutes, then realized I didn’t have to sit through it. I got up and walked out. The president lied to the homeowners, the property manager evaded questions. Such a cluster youknowwhat.

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:08 pm

Oy. What a nightmare. I'm so lucky to have most reasonable neighbors and a board who really tries to work with modified consensus. That said, I've serve 2.5 times and am always happy to be done with it (and say never again).

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:21 pm

wow, what a mess! I would not put up with that, either! I'm happy for you that you can get out of that situation.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”