Question about Third Level Freestyle

DJR
500 post plus club

Question about Third Level Freestyle

Postby DJR » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:39 am

Freestyle question: I’m preparing my first freestyle and I’m not sure about whether an element I’m considering is allowed.

It’s a Third Level freestyle, and in the walk work I wanted to put in a full turn-on-the-haunches to the right, and repeat it to the left. Full, as in all the way around, 360 degrees. I know we’re not allowed to perform movements that are only found at a higher level, but the TOH is not performed at a higher level, it becomes walk pir after Third Level. So, can I do a full 360-degree TOH in my Third Level FS? Would it be considered a walk pir if I go all the way around? I can’t figure this out.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Re: Question about Third Level Freestyle

Postby Rosie B » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:32 pm

I don't think a full 360 degree walk pirouette is called for in any level... So performing a 360 degree TOH wouldn't be performing a movement of a higher level. That's just my opinion though... Did you ask your instructor?

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Second Level
Forbidden:
Any movement not found in current USEF Tests at or below this level. Exceptions are listed under
Additionally Allowed. (Please note that renvers is included as a possible movement under “Compulsory
Elements” since it is basically the same movement as travers.)

Additionally Allowed:
Half turn on haunches (no more than 180 degrees), trot circle (10m or larger), medium canter and trot on 20-
meter circle, medium canter on diagonal.

Third Level
Forbidden:
Any movement not found in current USEF Tests at or below this level. Exceptions are listed under
Additionally Allowed.

Additionally Allowed:
Half-pass zigzag in trot, half walk pirouettes, trot and canter circle 10 meters or larger, canter to halt,
counter-change of hand in canter (only one change of direction).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
these are from the USDF guidelines for freestyle. While the ones for third level does not say so, the second level specifically mentions 180 degrees. because the full P / turn does not exist I suspect you might be treading on thin ice.

I think it would be a "good risk" move if done well and clearly, but you may need to accept a penalty the first time you do it and a judge says no no. It would have to come amidst a lot of other walk movement, I suspect. A medium walk turn extended walk pattern could be a very good set if timed well with the proper music.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:01 pm

you may need to wait for the new tests to see if what 4th level has though I doubt they will throw a full walk P in the patterns.

SOmewhere in the dim recesses of my mind the discussion of a full walk P and full turn on haunches has come up before. Long long ago and I wonder if that is where the 180 degree in the second level directives came from.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:29 pm

FYI, I'm in Canada. USDF and Dressage Canada use the same tests for the most part, but some rules are slightly different and some of the "forbidden" items do not appear on Cdn tests. On the third level test, it says that 1/2 turn on the haunches is clearly allowed.

To further confuse things, it also says: "All figures (regardless of size), patterns, combinations or transitions composed of elements permitted in the declared level ARE permitted, even if the resulting configuration is found only in higher levels." One would then think that if I linked two 1/2 TOH movements together as one full rotation, it would be allowed.

Hence my confusion.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:35 pm

If you're asking for opinions, I say go for it and let us know how you make out. :lol:

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:15 am

FWIW I think you will get eliminated if you do full walk pirouettes as they are not found in any test at any level. You could avoid it by doing the half pirouette, clearly walk forward a few steps then do another one.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:27 pm

redsoxluvr wrote:FWIW I think you will get eliminated if you do full walk pirouettes as they are not found in any test at any level. You could avoid it by doing the half pirouette, clearly walk forward a few steps then do another one.

It wouldn't be elimination, it would be a -4 deduction.

At any rate, I've chosen to go with half pirouettes instead of full until I can get a definitive answer from a higher-level Cdn judge. Thanks for the input!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”