Roast Chicken

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Roast Chicken

Postby Tuddy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:35 pm

Made a little chicken last night, I had taken it out the day before to thaw.

Ingredients:
Roasting chicken
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Poultry Seasoning to taste
About 1 c of chicken broth
1/2 lbs of bacon

Put chicken in roaster (I usually put mine boob side down so that it doesn't dry out, but last night I didn't because the lid on the roaster would close properly if I did... it happens).
Add the chicken broth to the roaster.
Salt and pepper the chicken to taste - I just used a little salt and then peppered the heck out of it.
Sprinkle poultry season all over the bird - again, to taste. I use the Lite House brand dehydrated poultry seasoning. It comes in a glass jar and I won't use any other brand.
Then layer the bacon strips over top the bird.
Put the lid on and throw it in a 350F oven for about 3 hours, just keep checking, depends on the size of the bird. Baste it every 45 minutes or so.

When I took it out of the oven last night, I hollered at my 13 year old daughter, "You want this bacon off this bird before your dad finds it?!?!"

Never seen a kid toss their precious cell phone and fly off the couch so fast! :lol:

chicken.jpg
chicken.jpg (133.35 KiB) Viewed 8015 times

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Roast Chicken

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Yum, I'm roasting a chicken tonight (oven). Probably lemon herb seasoning of some kind. I have loads of tarragon and garlic.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:34 pm

I love roast chicken. My most favorite comfort food. I like to loosen the skin on the breast and stuff garlic and herb butter in there, then rub with butter and salt.

We pretty much always have carrots with roast chicken, because the water the carrots cook in makes the best gravy when combined with the pan drippings... and mashed potatoes, of course :)

My oven door fell off the other day, and isn't going to be a simple fix by the look of it, so I'm having a bit of a problem with roasting... sigh.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:50 pm

"A nice roast chicken" is a very nice thing indeed. Probably this weekend it will be cool enough here in the south for that.

We usually stuff the bird with a head of garlic (homegrown), whatever herbs are alive in the garden and a half a lemon. Coat with olive oil and roast until done.

My favorite side would be latkes, but really any root veg roasted will do.

fallingwaters
Greenie

Postby fallingwaters » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:10 am

Yum. I roasted a few turkey thighs, backs and necks and then made stock with it. burp.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:33 am

Tuddy wrote:Put the lid on and throw it in a 350F oven for about 3 hours, just keep checking, depends on the size of the bird. Baste it every 45 minutes or so.

I came back from the grocery store with a small chicken yesterday and put it in the oven when I got home. It was very good. My mother and I each ate a drumstick and thigh as soon as it came out of the oven, and then I picked the rest of the meat off and put everything else in the crockpot to make stock.
I'll have to remember to bring potatoes when I come back tomorrow. We had so many potatoes this year that we used the tractor to dig them.
digging potatoes.jpg
digging potatoes.jpg (108.71 KiB) Viewed 7973 times

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:28 pm

Having all those potatoes is not a bad problem to have!!!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:28 pm

We ended up with a lemon-tarragon-rosemary chicken with roasted sweet potatoes, parsnips and carrots. Tomorrow I'll make stock and turn the rest of it into chipotle chicken soup.

This year I got a bit into using coffee rubs - equal parts finely ground coffee, chile powder and salt, all ground together. Some cumin and garlic if you like too. Rub the bird with oil and then apply the rub before roasting. Goes well with BBQ type dishes.
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:08 pm

We grow potatoes (various regular varieties, plus sweet potatoes), too!

This year was way too wet for a bumper crop, but last year was off the charts.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:37 pm

My favorite part of a roast chicken is the skin, so I buy shredded roasted white meat. Not quite the lovely flavor of a bird fresh from the oven, but it makes portion control easy.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:38 am

Made stew from the roast chicken stock, and mixed in some black beans and chicken from the fridge to cool it off so we didn't have to wait to eat it.

smaller chicken stew.JPG
smaller chicken stew.JPG (39.38 KiB) Viewed 7915 times

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Nice!!!! Looks Yummy!!!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”