Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Rabies

Postby StraightForward » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:51 pm

Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Oh wow! How in this day and age did they not know bats carry rabies? Reminds me of the girl who was bit and contracted the disease, she survived though I believe. Her parents also did not know about bats and rabies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/25/us/g ... -shot.html

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:05 pm

So sad, and it sounds like they were very well meaning - bats crawling around on the bed at night would be a little much, though. . .

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:56 am

Urgh… that's a bit close to home.

We don't see many bats here... no skeeters. Even so, I guess I need to have the conversation with my vet again about rabies vax.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:46 pm

I've been feeding 2 feral cats that have come onto our property and I'm always watching their behavior. We assume various renters at the neighbor farm bring in cats and then leave them behind. Next renters have dogs which run the cats off.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Rabies is the first vacc I have given to my oldster gelding each year, although vet told me last year I'd be able to skip in 2018 since my guy has had annual rabies each year forever. Our strictly-indoor kitties get rabies vaccs each year, also. Rabies is endemic in our part of the states, mainly found in raccoons, since that is the critter most folks are likely to shoot (eating food in the poor dog's run...), hence most likely to be sent in for testing. But we have a huge population of Mexican free-tailed bats who return to the many caverns around here to have their pups each year. We thankfully know better than to handle them.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Pardon the segue, but in many parts of the country, bat populations are being destroyed by white nose syndrome, including here in the Pac NW. . . our sightings here, in the Cascade foothills have dramatically decreased (white nose syndrome showed up in North Bend, a few miles from here, in 2016). We saw one bat this year, none last year. We use to routinely see them almost every evening, usually more than one and one time six together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlOehbW2V5I

khall

Postby khall » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:18 pm

I had a bat flying around in the barn the other night. Kind of concerned me since I have never seen one IN the barn before. Lights were on and it was dark out, could not figure out why he would not go on out. We see them pretty regularly flying around the barn area eating our mosquitos along with dragon flies and barnies.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”