Drying and cooling out wet fluff balls

Backyarder
Novice

Drying and cooling out wet fluff balls

Postby Backyarder » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:36 pm

What do you do to dry your non clipped horses after a sweaty work session? I had a very good lesson yesterday in -2 weather with a brisk wind. My little mare is very much ready for winter with her long hair. She was steamy when we finished. ....I love the smell of a sweaty horse when I'm riding....but
I threw a fleece cooler over her tack, pulled tack off from under the cooler in the barn, rubbed her with a towel ..lifting the cooler here and there to do it...left the cooler on till it was wet on top, changed to a dry one and left that on a couple hours...she was still damp along her sides and neck,,,her back and top of rump were dry.

Just looking for ideas and would like to hear about your routines.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Drying and cooling out wet fluff balls

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:43 pm

Heat lamps.

The reason I blanket is I have seen horses still wet five hours after a ride on a cold day.

I know, I am not helping

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:53 pm

SueB said she was having good results with the Rambo Turbo Dry cooler. I don't think the regular fleece ones wick all that well. Some of them seem too heavy to allow the horse to cool off very much, or don't allow air flow underneath. A scrim underneath might help to provide some air flow.

Even a bit of a big clip would probably help a lot if you plan to ride all winter.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Hair dryer and cooler. Put the cooler on, fold one side up and use the hair dryer on that side. Don't point the dryer at one place and burn them, instead rub or curry their hair in circles while moving the hair dryer in a sweeping motion.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:01 pm

If it's so cold that sweat would be a problem then IMO, it's too cold to work them hard enough to get them sweaty because that would risk airway damage.

clanter
Herd Member

Postby clanter » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:18 pm

when I was working with horses in the winter, it was common practice to cover with a wool cooler then walk the horse until dry

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Trace clip! And a polarfleece cooler. Trace clipping my very hairy driving pony makes all the difference. She can work hard and be hardly sweaty when we're done. Before clipping, she'd never dry, despite coolers, etc.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:49 pm

kande50 wrote:If it's so cold that sweat would be a problem then IMO, it's too cold to work them hard enough to get them sweaty because that would risk airway damage.

Just not true

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:03 pm

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:22 pm

I used to use a hairdryer on Bob. Wool cooler,hand walk to cool, crossties for a hair dry, then stall for a bran mash.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:32 pm

PaulaO wrote:I used to use a hairdryer on Bob.

YES!!! Someone else!!! My BO was like :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: But it works.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:46 pm

kande50 wrote:
Chisamba wrote:
Just not true

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12405726/

A horse wearing a thick wool coat which works up a sweat during exercise is not necessarily "strenuously exercising/hyperventilating" which is clearly defined as the point of these experiments. The abstract does not state what the respiration/heart beat was when these samples were taken nor how long the animals had been at that level of exertion. Samples were also taken immediately after exercise which doesn't address whether the alteration (higher ciliated eo's) was short or long term. They were compared to animals which had not exercised vs. animals which had exercised at the same rate in a warmer environment (not a good control). There is no indication in the abstract as to whether or not the 5 "fit racehorses" had samples taken before staged exercise, it just says elevated eo's relative to unexercised horses (vs. their own baseline levels). In addition, the last sentence implies multifactorial issues relative to "airway inflammation commonly found in equine athletes" (? ). For someone who routinely exercises in a very strenuous matter (and in winter you don't wear that much more than you do in summer), the concept of being heavily dressed and moderate exercise generating plenty of perspiration is very easy to understand. What is different in winter is that when you stop, you almost immediately put on more layers of DRY "wicking" clothing to prevent serious chilling (same as fleece cooler). The take home message may be that you don't work your horse HARD when temps approach 40F (used in experiment) and lower, but I would not use sweat alone as a "thermometer".

We used hairdryers. . .

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:43 pm

I either didn't save it or can't find it, but somewhere I read that horses are most comfortable at around 40 degree F (they burn the least energy to heat or cool), and when they have winter hair that temp may drop to more like 5 degrees F. My cut off for working them hard enough to get them puffing is somewhere between 10 and 20 degree F, although they don't seem to care about that when they're on their own time. Or maybe they regulate themselves somehow?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:46 pm

A horse and human, can easily sweat in moderate work I. A heavy coat without ever hyperventilating . I sweat mucking stalls in the winter. I actually have RAD. Reactive airway disease. I do not suffer any inhalation distress from sweating.

Moderate exercise that does not stress airways is possible to cause a sweat on a horse with heavy coat. Any horse that is sweaty in a cool environment should be of concern unless you are a piss poor horsekeeper

I guess those of you that have time to hair dry a horse after riding do not ride five horses a day
Last edited by Chisamba on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:54 pm

hair dryer.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Chisamba wrote:I guess those of you that have time to hair dry a horse after riding do not ride five horses a day

Exactly. It takes like 10 mins, not sure what the problem is here? It is much faster and better for them than waiting for them to air dry (depending if your barn is cold or warm of course)

My horse likes it and finds it really relaxing, though he usually sweats that much now only in a clinic/travel/warmer arena than our home colder arena....

When he was in a situation where he sweated that much daily I trace clipped to make my life easier.

those that do ride that many usually put on a full cooler and put in a stall for a few hours.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:10 pm

:D Did I say there was a problem.

I dont have fluff balls. I blanket. I do a blanket clip on some. They do not sweat excessively and dry quickly and keep warm. My time is taken switching blankets on unseasonably warm days.

What seems problematic to me is not the blow drying, Since I would not go running with a coat on, I do think working a horse in full winter coat is undesirable. Even if you blow dry it.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:17 pm

We used to go to a lot of draft horse events in the winter and they just parked their hot, sweaty horses and threw a blanket over them. Not sure if that was something that someone thought up and everyone else thought was a good idea (maybe horses tied up and they thought it was related to drafts, or cooling out too fast) or if it did work and they figured it out through trial and error?

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:19 pm

We used to go to a lot of draft horse events in the winter and they just parked their hot, sweaty horses and threw a blanket over them. Not sure if that was something that someone thought up and everyone else thought was a good idea (maybe horses tied up and they thought it was related to drafts, or cooling out too fast) or if it did work and they figured it out through trial and error?

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:25 pm

kande50 wrote:We used to go to a lot of draft horse events in the winter and they just parked their hot, sweaty horses and threw a blanket over them. Not sure if that was something that someone thought up and everyone else thought was a good idea (maybe horses tied up and they thought it was related to drafts, or cooling out too fast) or if it did work and they figured it out through trial and error?

No, bad idea. that is a very good way to invite issues.

Walk till resp. gets to normal ..... I sometimes throw a full cooler over the saddle to keep the back and neck warm while I walk. Or you can put a quarter sheet back on....

You do need to keep the horse warm during the drying. If needed use two coolers if one gets wet..... or hair dry parts of the horse while keeping the other covered. There is no such thing as "cooling out too fast", is there?

The hard part is finding a breathable cooler so it actually wicks the sweat and doesn't just trap it.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:52 pm

I really like the Rambo turbo cooler. It soaks up sweat very well and really improves drying time.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Ryeissa wrote:

Maybe, although I think I remember that research did debunk the long held belief that horses needed to be cooled out slowly. It may be different when it's cold vs hot, though.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:53 pm

I wonder though if riding a horse in who still has their natural coat would be quite the same as exercising in our heavy clothes since when I start out my horse is quite fluffy and when I finish she's no longer as fluffy, she changed her clothes. That being said I try not to work her hard enough to get very sweaty when it's cold out and I'm also thinking that Pal should get one of those fancy Rambo turbo dry coolers for our horse-iversarry. I used to blanket and clip if necessary but I'm going to try natural this year since she's used to super cold and it gets cold here but not as cold as she's accustomed to.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:22 pm

kande50 wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:

Maybe, although I think I remember that research did debunk the long held belief that horses needed to be cooled out slowly. It may be different when it's cold vs hot, though.

so you would park a hot horse in a stall?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:04 am

There's a Rambo Dry Rug that is like a towel material and there is a Centaur Turbo Dry. I can not find any product called a Rambo Turbo Dry. :?:
Comments about the Rambo is that once shavings get on it, you can't get them off.

I haven't clipped yet and am hoping that I can find someone to pay to do it. I hate clipping and I'm not sure my mare is used to clippers. I haven't tried yet.

I started a thread a while back on clipping. Even if you can get the coat dry, then you have stiff hair from dried sweat. No thanks.
Last edited by musical comedy on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:06 am

I walk mine (who is a yak, blanket clipped but still gets sweaty under the saddle and other places) until cool, but he is still going to be damp, so I put him in his stall with a wicking cooler and a pile of hay while I clean tack and putter around. Barn is heated to bearable but not "warm." Then he gets a good curry and if mostly dry, and staying in (which mine usually is after being ridden because of my schedule,) I put his blanket on, which is breathable, and call it good. If I check him a half hour later he's pretty cosy under there.

I've never had much luck with the hairdryer method, and my barn manager would have a cow about the electricity bill if I tried it where I am now.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:09 am

Chisamba wrote:I guess those of you that have time to hair dry a horse after riding do not ride five horses a day

Only 2. In my case, the hair dryer was a good solution to an irregular occurrence, and it really only takes 5-10 minutes to get them dry enough that the cooler will take care of the rest while you're tacking up the next horse. This year the younster is getting clipped.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:09 am

I have two of those ceiling infra-red lights and it still takes forever to dry a wet horse after a bath in the Summer. What they are good for is keeping horse and me warm while grooming or tacking up.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:13 am

Also, I don't know if this happens to all horses, but my heavy muscled old guy used to get a second sweat. He was clipped too. If I blanketed him too soon after riding, he would be sweating under the blanket.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:29 am

Ryeissa wrote:
so you would park a hot horse in a stall?

There aren't a lot of choices when you're out working them in the winter, because it's either put them back in the trailer or tie them to it. I'm not so sure the blanketing is to slow the cooling so much as to prevent them from getting too cold when they're still wet, before the hair dries and fluffs up again?

The research was about hosing them to cool them down, and they found that faster was better.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:10 am

MC yes Rip will have a secondary sweat too even clipped. Why I have gone to the techno fleece Schneider's blanket that wicks sweat. We don't usually need heavy blanket here though.

Has anyone ever used the piles of hay under the sweat sheet to help increase airflow and drying ability? I don't remember where I got that from but have done it for years when I end up with a sweaty horse and cooling off temps.

With my horses I have some that sweat easily: Rip and Gallie, Joplin literally has no winter coat so I am lucky there and Gaila is not a heavy sweater usually during the winter I have never clipped her yet. With Rip and Gallie both I have to be careful even with blankets, too heavy for their temps and they will sweat under them.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:50 am

musical comedy wrote:There's a Rambo Dry Rug that is like a towel material and there is a Centaur Turbo Dry. I can not find any product called a Rambo Turbo Dry. :?:
Comments about the Rambo is that once shavings get on it, you can't get them off.

Misremembered the name, but it is the Rambo. I read the same thing about the shavings, which deterred me from buying one. Might not be an issue if your horse isn't apt to roll or lay down.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:52 am

Khall, back in the Dark Ages in England, we used to use straw stuffed under a scrim.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:54 am

What I'd like is one of those Thermatex blankets, They look just right for cooling out in our temperatures. Hmmm... Black Friday?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:59 am

Imperini wrote:I wonder though if riding a horse in who still has their natural coat would be quite the same as exercising in our heavy clothes since when I start out my horse is quite fluffy and when I finish she's no longer as fluffy, she changed her clothes. That being said I try not to work her hard enough to get very sweaty when it's cold out and I'm also thinking that Pal should get one of those fancy Rambo turbo dry coolers for our horse-iversarry. I used to blanket and clip if necessary but I'm going to try natural this year since she's used to super cold and it gets cold here but not as cold as she's accustomed to.

I think you are right, but... I teach as group 4h lesson on Saturdays. The more heavily coated horses, despite flattening their hair, literally pant . I pay attention to their breathing and have them walk .

I suppose if you ride solo, are not attempting to keep up with the group, and pay attention to your horse, it can be managed more easily

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:21 am

Moutaineer wrote:What I'd like is one of those Thermatex blankets, They look just right for cooling out in our temperatures. Hmmm... Black Friday?

Me too, can't find any in the states though.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:16 am

Fatcat, I just designed my own fantasy one on the Thermatex UK website. I thought red with two shades of contrasting green piping would be rather nice on a black horse. Ouch. Nearly 200 pounds in his size.

However, the Weatherbeeta thermic quilt looks like a promisingly similar and much cheaper knock off. Might be worth a black Friday look, even though the colors are boring.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:51 pm

-2 ???? are you kidding ! I'm whining and not wanting to ride when it's in the high 20's.

I'd say if you can, make your life easy and next year put up a stall light to keep from growing too much coat. My friends draft cross was a bear last year, this year he was under lights and he got a winter coat but it's no where near as heavy.

Last winter we did have to use coolers, ( irish knit and a Rambo turbo dry) towels and a hair dryer when my horse got super soaked after a hard ride from the trainer. She was so wet it took 3 of us to get her dry, YIKES....

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:26 pm

My arena is cold. In this situation its my last concern. My horse never sweats.
I'm trying to stay alive haha

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:48 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Fatcat, I just designed my own fantasy one on the Thermatex UK website. I thought red with two shades of contrasting green piping would be rather nice on a black horse. Ouch. Nearly 200 pounds in his size.

However, the Weatherbeeta thermic quilt looks like a promisingly similar and much cheaper knock off. Might be worth a black Friday look, even though the colors are boring.
I don't think the ~$300 USD is out of line for such a nice product. I doubt the Weatherbeeta feels similar. I love the soft molding fabric of the UK ones. I had one and had to throw it away because my horse got some kind of skin disease that the vet thought might be contagious and recommended I discard all blankets that were on him. The UK Thermatex really allows the moisture to come through to the outside of the blanket. I once even bought a Thermatex saddle pad. That one, I didn't like because it didn't stay in place.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:10 pm

MC, ugh, that would make you want to cry! if I didn't board I'd probably buy one, because I take care of my stuff, but...

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Years ago, I did a custom order from Dover for a super absorbent cooler that is awesome for drying a wet horse. It is a thick fleece nubby material on the outside (like a sheep) with some kind of blue diaper like absorbing liner. When the wet horse wears the cooler within minutes the water is absorbed to the outside of cooler so it feels wet to touch. Underside and horse become dry with this water wicking liner fabric. It is light gray with burgundy trim size 78 - I might part with it as too large for my guy. I'm still holding on to to stuff from my TB and just slowly letting go .....

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:03 pm

I'm of no use on technique for drying a fluff ball because my horse grows very little hair. I can work her quite hard when it is 40 F and she will show only a little sweat around the girth. When it is below freezing, we work just hard enough to stay alive! :lol:

I did recently acquire the smooth version of the Rambo Dry Rug:
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/rambo ... ter--18220

I haven't used it yet, but will report back when I do. I think the fuzzy version of the dry rug works very well (I've seen it in use at my barn) but it does pick up absolutely every piece of shavings/straw/dirt.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:33 am

Imperini wrote:I wonder though if riding a horse in who still has their natural coat would be quite the same as exercising in our heavy clothes since when I start out my horse is quite fluffy and when I finish she's no longer as fluffy, she changed her clothes.

Loved that, lol.

That being said, a human who is overdressed can strip down to their skivvies if they so desire, a horse with a heavy coat is still wearing a lot of hair, even when not fluffed. Hence the drying problem. . .

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:53 am

Ryeissa wrote:My arena is cold. In this situation its my last concern. My horse never sweats.
I'm trying to stay alive haha

Mine doesn't sweat enough for me to be able to see it when it's cold, so maybe there's some sweat down by his skin but it doesn't wet the hair.

He's got a pretty good winter coat now and I rode on Monday when it was in the 40's (F) and it was too warm for him, but then I rode yesterday when it was in the 20's and he was comfortable.

So I just have to match his winter coat and ride when it's cold enough for him if I want to be comfortable, too. :-)

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:02 am

Koolkat wrote:
That being said, a human who is overdressed can strip down to their skivvies if they so desire, a horse with a heavy coat is still wearing a lot of hair, even when not fluffed. Hence the drying problem. . .

Horses generate so much heat internally that the drying time may not be a problem for them, and if it is they just run around until they warm up--like they do when they first get up in the morning and it's cold out?

Course if they're locked in a stall with no place to run then we might want to intervene, although they can do a pretty good job of warming up by bucking and rearing in their stalls, too. So I guess it might be more of a problem with lame horses who aren't going to want to move any more than they absolutely have to?

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:14 pm

IMO it is not worth the risk of horse getting sick if you have the means to avoid it. My guy gets a thick coat so I trace clip him and apply blanket(s). A wet sweaty horse takes a while to dry - so use a cooler and avoid a vet bill is my tactic.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:13 pm

kande50 wrote:
Koolkat wrote:

Horses generate so much heat internally that the drying time may not be a problem for them, and if it is they just run around until they warm up--like they do when they first get up in the morning and it's cold out?

Course if they're locked in a stall with no place to run then we might want to intervene, although they can do a pretty good job of warming up by bucking and rearing in their stalls, too. So I guess it might be more of a problem with lame horses who aren't going to want to move any more than they absolutely have to?

Nope, not buying it. Try this when its -10f like I get.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:35 pm

Ryeissa wrote:
Nope, not buying it. Try this when its -10f like I get.

You get your horse all sweated up when it's -10F?

What do you do if the horse gets himself all sweated up running out in pasture and you're not home?

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Josette wrote:IMO it is not worth the risk of horse getting sick if you have the means to avoid it. My guy gets a thick coat so I trace clip him and apply blanket(s). A wet sweaty horse takes a while to dry - so use a cooler and avoid a vet bill is my tactic.

But my point is, do they get sick, or are we just imagining that we need to dry and blanket to keep them healthy?

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”