Do you "like" your own posts on Facebook and here?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Do you "like" your own posts on Facebook and here?

Postby Chancellor » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:12 pm

I'm always amazed at people liking their own posts. Why do you do it? Facebook being slightly different than here because if you accidentally like your own post, you can always unlike it (we are working on that here).

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Re: Do you "like" your own posts on Facebook and here?

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:43 pm

I just realized a few days ago that I may be liking some of my own posts on Facebook. What happens is that I post photos on my photography page, and the people who those photos are of share the photo on their personal page. I see the share on my personal page and like it, thinking that it likes it on their Facebook page, but in reality, I now think that it shows the like on my photography page. I'm still not completely sure, but that's what I think is happening. Confused?

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:00 pm

No, I don't.

I'm just not that interested in building my 'like' count (as if you couldn't tell by some of my responses to various topics ;)

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:09 pm

Is there a point to "liking" your own posts on FB? If there is, I'm not aware of it.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:30 pm

I think for those that have business pages it is a exposure-marketing thing. Probably has some merit. Personal stuff, no. just creepy.

At TOB you can't like your own stuff so it sort of surprised me you can here.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:48 pm

Tuffytown wrote:I think for those that have business pages it is a exposure-marketing thing. Probably has some merit. Personal stuff, no. just creepy.

Well, that's because the like feature is essentially a hack that I got working with KounterKanter but it has no finesse yet.

I

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:02 pm

No. That would be weird.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:32 pm

Nope. Agree, it would be weird.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:33 pm

In a business setting, with commercial pages etc I might not consider it completely creepy but it's definitely a "forward, aggressive self-exposure" (that would not make me think too highly of the business). In a personal chit-chat, intentionally liking your own opinion is weird in a very bad way.

In other words:
SuperExclusiveBrandWannabe on their own page "Our new UglyAsSin collection is out. People rave about it!" Then SEBW likes their own statement? I'm mildly suspicious that UglyAsSin might be named properly but ok.

But when Julia responds to Susie's: "Today is market day, yay!" with "Market is evil. Nobody should be participating in a market. You don't need to go to market, just grow your own roots and sticks to eat!" and then intentionally likes her own opinion, Julia is clearly deranged.
Last edited by Snork on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:38 pm

Snork wrote:In a business setting, with commercial pages etc I might not consider it completely creepy but it's definitely a "forward, aggressive self-exposure" (that would not make me think too highly of the business). In a personal chit-chat, intentionally liking your own opinion is just deranged.

In other words:
SuperExclusiveBrandWannabe on their own page "Our new UglyAsSin collection is out. People rave about it!" Then SEBW likes their own statement? I'm mildly suspicious that UglyAsSin might be named properly but ok.

But when Julia responds to Susie's: "Today is market day, yay!" with "Market is evil. Nobody should be participating in a market. You don't need to go to market, just grown your own roots and sticks to eat!" and then likes her own opinion, Julia is clearly deranged.

Yes, deranged. Definitely.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:51 pm

I will like a Facebook post so that it gets priority in a feed if it is one I want my clients you see, of the announcement sort.

I don't otherwise.

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:18 am

It just seems self-serving. And given the fact that I know the people in my facebook feed that do it... there's an element of narcissism and self-importance about them in real life too.

Mixed feelings about doing it for businesses/organizations. I do the majority of the social media (well, facebook, mostly) for both my workplace and an organization of which I'm a member. I've NEVER liked my own posts, because, even though I see the value in it in terms of post reach, it still feels icky to me. But, for both pages, there are several other people who have administrative access. So many of the posts get "Liked" by the business. I think part of it is that, when a post from a page that you manage shows up in your newsfeed, it defaults to posting as that particular page (even if you're just viewing your own personal feed) - so even if you mean to "like" it under your own identity, it'll show up as that business unless you change it (does that even make any sense?)

demi

Postby demi » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:30 am

I can't even figure out HOW to like a picture. At one time I thought I saw an icon somewhere for it but can't find it now. There are posts I would like to like but would never like my own. The possibility does exist though, that I could somehow accidentally like my own post! Stuff happens on the computer that I can't figure out...my husband always says "you must have done something, stuff doesn't just happen".

Never mind. I just noticed the tiny print that says "like this post". DUH

demi

Postby demi » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:33 am

I just figured it out. You have to be logged in to see the tiny print.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:46 am

Sheesh! I am a bit slow on the uptake. I just tried liking a post but ended up liking my own post. I commented on the picture of 89 year old Queen Elisabeth on her pony. Then I cliked "like this post". It was my own post. I should have scrolled back to the original post and "liked it" there. Right?

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:05 am

We are awfully harsh of people with schizophrenia. Maybe they just don't realize they posted and then see the post and "like" it. 8-) :lol:

No, I also do not like my own posts and find that a bit strange.

Artemis
Greenie

Postby Artemis » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:19 am

I have a FB friend who always likes her own posts and pics. It seems kinda tacky. Makes me cringe. Honestly - gosh.

xhltsalute
Greenie

Postby xhltsalute » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:35 am

No, never. Should be able to "unlike" a post if you make a mistake.

Also, every time I "like" a post, it takes me back to the beginning and I have to scroll down till I find where I was. Some things need to be fixed.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:18 am

Once or twice I've liked my own post on Facebook, but it's usually in a joking way and I comment on the post as well. I'm being cheeky or overly amused with myself. I don't think I've ever liked my own post on a forum.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:13 am

Chancellor wrote:
Tuffytown wrote:I think for those that have business pages it is a exposure-marketing thing. Probably has some merit. Personal stuff, no. just creepy.

Well, that's because the like feature is essentially a hack that I got working with KounterKanter but it has no finesse yet.

I

Does that mean you stole it from elsewhere?

I didn't realize one could "like" themselves on here... I will have to start doing so, I think I need a following.

AirsAboveNC
Novice

Postby AirsAboveNC » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:03 am

I tend to find it arrogant a lot of the time.

However, the like button can be valuable when you're faced with FB's wacky algorithm that determines how/when your posts get seen. As Chisamba said, she uses it to boost views for some clients. That can work. You might not see "Chisamba posted this" on your feed even if you're friends but you may be able to see "Chisamba liked her post" pop up.

(Excuse me for using you as my example, Chisamba!)

Ryans Friend
Greenie

Postby Ryans Friend » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:27 am

No, but I will click the Like button on a response to a post I made.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Never my own posts. How weird would that be?!?!

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:00 pm

I just unintentionally liked my own post here - i was trying to see whether there is a way to see who liked it before me, and accidentally clicked on "like this post" instead.

I'm starting to enjoy being deranged i think! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:19 pm

My goodness, no. That would be naval gazing at it's finest.

For the longest time, I never "liked" anything, anywhere. That just seemed foreign to me. Now (on Facebook) I reflexively "like" anything my family posts, but I absolutely REFUSE to respond to the blackmail of "REPOST this if you feel the same, and I know who really will." Ugh.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:47 pm

demi wrote:Sheesh! I am a bit slow on the uptake. I just tried liking a post but ended up liking my own post. I commented on the picture of 89 year old Queen Elisabeth on her pony. Then I cliked "like this post". It was my own post. I should have scrolled back to the original post and "liked it" there. Right?

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only person who is new to this! Really, I should get a FB thing running just so I can partake of adult conversation these days!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:51 pm

CanadianTrotter wrote:
Chancellor wrote:

I

NO, it means that we wrote code specifically to give the people of this board a feature they wanted. And I completely RESENT that implication Canadian Trotter.

emmalou
Novice

Postby emmalou » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:08 pm

Astral wrote:It just seems self-serving. And given the fact that I know the people in my facebook feed that do it... there's an element of narcissism and self-importance about them in real life too.

Mixed feelings about doing it for businesses/organizations. I do the majority of the social media (well, facebook, mostly) for both my workplace and an organization of which I'm a member. I've NEVER liked my own posts, because, even though I see the value in it in terms of post reach, it still feels icky to me. But, for both pages, there are several other people who have administrative access. So many of the posts get "Liked" by the business. I think part of it is that, when a post from a page that you manage shows up in your newsfeed, it defaults to posting as that particular page (even if you're just viewing your own personal feed) - so even if you mean to "like" it under your own identity, it'll show up as that business unless you change it (does that even make any sense?)

I've done that and had to unlike. Change to my personal profile and like again. I've stopped liking company posts because it's a pain from my phone.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:48 pm

boots-aregard wrote:... but I absolutely REFUSE to respond to the blackmail of "REPOST this if you feel the same, and I know who really will." Ugh.
YES! I hate those things.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:10 am

angela9823 wrote:
boots-aregard wrote:... but I absolutely REFUSE to respond to the blackmail of "REPOST this if you feel the same, and I know who really will." Ugh.
ME TOO!

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:24 am

Chancellor wrote:
angela9823 wrote:
ME TOO!

ME THREE

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:34 am

Chancellor wrote:
CanadianTrotter wrote:
Chancellor wrote:

I

NO, it means that we wrote code specifically to give the people of this board a feature they wanted. And I completely RESENT that implication Canadian Trotter.

Wow... this is getting really tiresome. I asked a simple question, I did not imply anything.

When a computer illiterate(enter me) hears the word "hack", that usually means something is taken from other sites. I asked someone else about that type of terminology and they told me it was most likely meant as a "hack job" not a "computer hack".

Colour me admonished and I will go stand in the corner for asking you a question in attempt to understand your post.

MagicEm
Greenie

Postby MagicEm » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:35 am

Add me to the list that hates the blackmail/chainmail/"repost if you feel the same, and I know who really will" type posts.

I'm also on the list that doesn't like my own posts and roll my eyes when I see people who do.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:52 am

AirsAboveNC wrote:I tend to find it arrogant a lot of the time.

However, the like button can be valuable when you're faced with FB's wacky algorithm that determines how/when your posts get seen. As Chisamba said, she uses it to boost views for some clients. That can work. You might not see "Chisamba posted this" on your feed even if you're friends but you may be able to see "Chisamba liked her post" pop up.

(Excuse me for using you as my example, Chisamba!)

It's okay, I'm the only one who admitted to doing it, lol. The arrogancec of it ;). I do it because of the algorithm you mentioned. I was told it works, thing being Facebook has a weird way of choosing what shows up in feeds, so sometimes you have to play the game to use the app. Jmho

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:30 pm

CanadianTrotter wrote:
Chancellor wrote:
CanadianTrotter wrote:

Wow... this is getting really tiresome. I asked a simple question, I did not imply anything.

When a computer illiterate(enter me) hears the word "hack", that usually means something is taken from other sites. I asked someone else about that type of terminology and they told me it was most likely meant as a "hack job" not a "computer hack".

Colour me admonished and I will go stand in the corner for asking you a question in attempt to understand your post.

Agree it is getting tiresome. How about asking what does that mean? Asking whether I stole it DOES imply stealing.

Perilous
Greenie

Postby Perilous » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:58 pm

No way!! You cannot like your own posts or pictures, that is so not Facebook Proper.

I didn't evne know you could like posts here..

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:05 pm

Perilous wrote:No way!! You cannot like your own posts or pictures, that is so not Facebook Proper.

I didn't evne know you could like posts here..

Facebook proper

That must be that strange place where no one posts lies, and everyone researches before they share, and no one is stupid enough to click like and await ten seconds to see what happens, and then is surprised when nothing happens.

Ike
Greenie

Postby Ike » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:34 pm

Yep. I'll occasionally like my own post or photo. Makes me giggle.

DD2
Greenie

Postby DD2 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:32 am

Wait..how do you like a post here?

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:40 am

DD2 wrote:Wait..how do you like a post here?

If you look to the right of a post, there a link in blue text that says "Like This Post". You click on that link, and it "likes" the post. It is a new feature! :geek:

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:01 am

Chancellor wrote:
CanadianTrotter wrote:
Chancellor wrote:

Agree it is getting tiresome. How about asking what does that mean? Asking whether I stole it DOES imply stealing.

Like I said... colour me admonished, now I'm being advised how to speak.

DD2
Greenie

Postby DD2 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:28 am

Sunshine2Me wrote:
DD2 wrote:Wait..how do you like a post here?

If you look to the right of a post, there a link in blue text that says "Like This Post". You click on that link, and it "likes" the post. It is a new feature! :geek:

cool...thanks!

Figgy
Herd Member

Postby Figgy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:29 am

Facebook Sh*ts me to tears.

I did love a story told by a radio announcer I like.

Boring is people talking about their internet wars. I don't care if you're a transgender anarchist who has travelled the world and developed a cure for global warming, as soon as you mention a facebook war, you're boring.

Says it all really.

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:21 pm

On our business page, we have two people working on it. So often, Tony will post a picture there or on my personal page and I will like it, but I'm randomly logged in by Facebook as either me or the business. So it gets confusing who's liking what and I don't bother to figure it out anymore. Facebook has a life of its own, always has, always will, and that's cool.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:56 pm

I love facebook, i have family in australia, africa and europe, if they post snippets of what is going on in their life, then i can keep up with their news in a way that a phone call or letter just does not cover. It helps me feel closer to my family. i also very much enjoy some people that have interesting things going on in their lives, journeys to other parts of the world and photos, yarn festivals, horse shows, and simply nice photos of leaves, or comments about the weather, its a way to keep contact with interesting people.

i admit that i hide or block or unfriend many a political post or trending topic. For me, facebook is what i make of it. I do not understand the ire and scorn, if you do not like it, do not do it, is really quite simple. Of course every now and again facebook pops up with something that is a meme that really rings true, or one that is just irritating, but, as with real life, those are the opportunities life gives us, and we can react to them as we wish.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:09 pm

I do not like Facebook and I do not do Facebook.

I view it as the Trash Rag of the internet.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”