Do you always tell you SO when you have an oops or a close call with the horses?

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Do you always tell you SO when you have an oops or a close call with the horses?

Postby khall » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:46 am

I don't. Unless it is an injury requiring a doctor visit I don't tell. I've sported some nasty bruises, one full outside thigh (that one had me peeing blood initially) that I made sure to keep my clothes on while it healed. Helps DH goes to bed earlier than I do. Most recent is from today, partial hoof to the hip leaving a lovely bruise. I've been known to blame them on running in to corners of tables. We all know how dangerous these large prey animals can be, some more so than others. I just hate to keep it in his head how dangerous they can be by letting him know all of my injuries over the years. 3 so far required doctor visit, one of those was via ambulance but that was before I met my DH.

Moutaineer

Re: Do you always tell you SO when you have an oops or a close call with the horses?

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:22 am

Depends on the size of the oops.

I kind of like him to know if he should be keeping an eye on me and hauling me off to the ER if I'm behaving oddly, but I'll tend to not necessarily let him know how much something actually hurts unless something's serious and I need help. "Suck it up and no whining--it was self inflicted" is my general approach.

I am a self-confessed Klutz. I've managed to split my face open and end up in the ER from opening my car door--that was messy.

The poor man tends to roll his eyes at me and make me a cup of tea.

heddylamar

Re: Do you always tell you SO when you have an oops or a close call with the horses?

Postby heddylamar » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:27 am

Early on in my husband's equine tenure, I had a fall that included blackout (before I hit the ground) and resulting concussion. Doc checked me out; concussion. I didn't tell my husband until two days later, and we were 400 miles away from the mare. At that point, he just huffed and eventually rolled his eyes.

Since then I've told him, to amusing results. He used to be an EMT, and is far less laissez-faire about non-gushing wounds than I am :lol:

After he was a *bit* more immersed in horses AND my MO, I came off the same horse and broke my pinkie (spiral fracture). I called him to let him know there was a slight change in plans -- after barn and farmer's market, I was headed to the ER near our house; could he come pick up the groceries? He was NOT pleased with me.

Then there were several late-night ER visits while he was out of town that I shared after the fact.

Fast forward, 15+ years and I call him from the road "hey, when I get home, I need to shower and head to the ER." He paced outside the shower while I cleaned the gnarly wound and still complains that I asked him to blow dry my hair (I had literally rolled around in the mud!) :lol: That was a transverse fracture with dislocation and a possible oblique fracture, which turned out to be a long-lasting hematoma. It was also the first time I cried when a bone was set :shock:

ETA: nowadays, I pretty much share immediately, and he rolls his eyes while checking the local ER wait times.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:57 am

He's had his share of close calls and serious horse related injuries too, and accepts that there's some additional risk associated with horses. His last significant injury wasn't even horse related (slipped on the ice), so whenever one of us gets injured we've just been grateful that it wasn't any worse.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:10 pm

I think I do. I cannot recall hiding an injury from my husband. I used to hide them from my mother tho.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:19 pm

Probably not for a close call... I guess if it makes for an amusing anecdote, I tell about it.

When Rosette bucked me off, that night I passed out while in the bathroom. He was about to haul me to the doc, but I sat up in bed and red for an hour straight to prove it had been pain induced, and not a concussion.
Keep calm and canter on.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Ha- I do. DH is a bike racer and has gotten hit by cars, swiped by trucks, knocked down in a race and sent to the hospital- his sport is pretty dangerous too. We trade stories.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:11 pm

I thought I would be smart one day and ride my daughters old Quarter horse back to the barn from the pasture. No halter, no bridle, no helmet, just bareback. He is an old soul, what could possibly go wrong?

Yeah, I landed on the ground, thinking I was really in trouble because my vision was blurry - no, my glasses had just gone flying, how I found them in the grass is beyond me. Old horse thought he was a 3 year old the minute I got on his back.

I walked to the house, called my husband and told him to call me every half hour til he got home.

So yes, I tell my husband when I have an incident lol!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:26 pm

I do. I trust his judgement (he has horse experience and is also a reasonable person around risk-taking). He really does not want me to get seriously hurt riding (nor do I), but he also knows horses are dangerous and good method + training can help only so much. He's gotten the call from a barn owner taking me to the hospital before for a fall resulting in a concussion (long ago). Part of why he is comfortable with the riding I do is that he knows my horse (he's ridden her) and he knows me. Personally, I would not be comfortable having a horse in my care at home or boarded that I was not comfortable having DH handle completely and ride at least a little. That sets a certain standard that levers safety in my direction.

There are a couple of new adult boarders at my barn who seem to expect (and maybe accept) that their horses will dump them on a semi-regular basis. They are both around 50 and should know better IMO + have the right skills for the job or not do the job. This is not normal at our barn (we have mostly good horse-human matches, and the difficult horses or horses doing very challenging courses have very skilled humans).

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Most of my horse related injuries DH figured out quite quickly ("WHY are you limping?!?").

I have had a few minor spills in the nearly 28 years we've been together that I didn't tell him about since there were no obvious signs of having had an 'incident' with the horse.

My biggest crash, however, he found out about when I answered my phone (he was calling because I was more than an hour late and hadn't texted him saying I was running behind) while sitting in the back of an ambulance waiting for the paramedics to decide if I should be taken in for a CT scan or I was safe to release to take care of my concussion at home.

With that one he sighed heavily and said "well, you almost got your wish"; referring to me telling him years ago that I'd rather die on the back of a horse than debilitating disease or wasting away in old age.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:07 pm

I try really hard not to limp! One I could not get by with though. I ended up tearing my meniscus in my left knee after a fall, it was not immediate but happened later that night getting out of a booth at a restaurant. I'm sure the tear started after the fall, direct impact of knee to ground but was not until later that it all hit. I even walked around the grocery store after leaving the restaurant. The next morning the sh*t hit the fan. I could not even stand up. I was sitting on the floor holding my knee still with my hands as I was trying mightily not to throw up. That was an emergency trip to the Ortho.

It just seems like there are small incidents that leave bumps and bruises. I handle 5 horses a day and stuff just happens. Got wacked again today leading Rip back from the arena, feral cat jumped out of the rustling leaves just in front of us and he spooked split legged catching my left heel on the back with a hoof. Dang that smarts. I do have to say right now some of my horses have been on edge. Lots of crackling leaves on the farm and critters or wind keeping them making noise. I need to blow the leaves out of the arena and cut them up but our big blower is difficult to operate.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Haha, no - I gleefully complain about it all. So he can go get me a glass of wine and run the bath :D He gets dinged up surfing and playing baseball too.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:04 pm

I have been very lucky to not have horse injuries, but yes, I tell DH everything. He doesn't get too riled up so I have no concern about him freaking out. He knows both my horses are very "good" horses.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:34 am

No SO but no, I usually didn't tell my parents either. As long as I was upright and able to pass for 'normal'. I have been very lucky and not had severe injuries--usually just bruising. One time I went off right over the back of the horse (I was not being present...just standing around shooting the breeze with another rider when a dog popped into the arena out of some bushes. Landed hard on my sacrum/low back and boy howdy, I began to stiffen up by the minute). I wasn't sure I could get in the truck but I made it and made it home. I'm not sure I saw the parents for a few days so was relatively better by the time I saw them.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”