Got Soup?

stella
Novice

Got Soup?

Postby stella » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:15 am

Spin off of the grilled cheese thread....

Can we get some tomato soup recipes?

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Re: Got Soup?

Postby Tuffytown » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:08 am

Can I add on a request for tomato bisque too?

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:36 pm

Saute in butter until soft:

2 small onions - diced
3 fat cloves garlic - chopped

then add:
2 lbs rough chopped roma tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 bay leaves
4 cups of chicken stock
good grinding of pepper
and bring to the boil.

Simmer briskly for 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Pour into a blender and liquidize (carefully!!!). Return to pan and add:

11/2 cups of heavy cream
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup of gin

simmer gently for 10 minutes

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:38 pm

Gin!

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:43 pm

<sings> "Gin, Gin, we like gin. We like gin, it makes you thin"

Paints
Herd Member

Postby Paints » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:14 pm

So that's what I am doing wrong - not drinking enough gin!

svvdressage
Herd Member

Postby svvdressage » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:39 pm

Zucchini Tomato Bisque

Olive Oil
1 green zucchini (sliced)
1 yellow zucchini (sliced)
1/2 yellow onion (diced)
2 T garlic
2 T basil
sea salt and black pepper
2 14 oz cans crushed tomato
1 14 oz can whole tomato
2 cups of chicken broth
1/4 cup honey
1 pint whipping cream
Parmesan for topping

Directions
sautee zucchini and onion in olive oil, add garlic, basil, salt and black pepper…cook until zucchini is tender….in a stock pot add can of whole tomatoes and crush with a fork to break tomato apart…then add 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and honey….simmer on low heat and add veggies when they are cooked…at the end add your pint of whipping cream and sprinkle with parmesan…

I served mine with grilled cheese using whole wheat sunflower seed bread from the Breadsmith (best bread ever!) and Colby Jack Cheese (nothing goes together like tomato soup and grilled cheese) Bring it on fall…soup season has begun!

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:23 pm

bascar wrote:<sings> "Gin, Gin, we like gin. We like gin, it makes you thin"

Haven't heard this since I was at school :lol: :lol: :lol:

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:04 pm

Will have to try the one with gin.

I use this one and like it. I don't add the roux though as we stay away from any extra flour. And I use veggie broth for DD as she's a vegetarian. It comes out just fine.

Interestingly, I found it because I needed tomato bisque to make Merry's lamb stew a few years ago. :)

Tomato Bisque

3 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 lg. onion
1 1/2 tbsp. garlic
1 1/2 tbsp. dried basil or if fresh is used, add more
4 c. chicken broth
1 c. flour
2 c. Italian plum tomatoes or 1 (2 lb.) can whole peeled or fresh tomatoes
2 tbsp. tomato paste
Pinch to 1/2 tsp. thyme leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute until onions are wilted but not brown in olive oil and butter. Add garlic and saute until tender. Do not brown or burn garlic or butter. Add seasonings and all tomatoes and most of chicken broth saving about 1/2 cup to make a roux with the flour to be added near end of cooking. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Make a roux with reserved chicken broth, add to thicken. Then puree in blender. Cook 15 minutes longer. Serve with French bread or as topping for stuffed cabbage or bell peppers.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Roasted Tomato Soup (My favorite tomato soup)

2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes (not packed in puree), drained, 3 cups juice reserved, tomatoes seeded
1 ½tablespoons dark brown sugar
4tablespoons unsalted butter
4 large shallots, minced
1tablespoon tomato paste
Pinch ground allspice
2tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1 ¾cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
½cup heavy cream
2tablespoons brandy or dry sherry
Table salt
cayenne pepper

INSTRUCTIONSMAKES ABOUT 5 1/2 CUPS

Make sure to use canned whole tomatoes that are not packed in puree; you will need some of the juice to make the soup.

1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees; line jelly-roll pan or rimmed cookie sheet with foil. Spread tomatoes in single layer on foil, and sprinkle evenly with brown sugar. Bake until all liquid has evaporated and tomatoes begin to color, about 30 minutes. Let tomatoes cool slightly, then peel them off foil; transfer to small bowl and set aside.

2. Heat butter over medium heat in medium nonreactive saucepan until foaming; add shallots, tomato paste, and allspice. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds. Whisking constantly, gradually add chicken stock; stir in reserved tomato juice and roasted tomatoes. Cover, increase heat to medium, and bring to boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors, about 10 minutes.

3. Strain mixture into medium bowl; rinse out saucepan. Transfer tomatoes and solids in strainer to blender; add 1 cup strained liquid and puree until smooth. Add remaining reserved liquid.

4. Return the pureed mixture to the saucepan, add cream, and heat over low heat until hot, about 3 minutes. Off heat, stir in brandy or sherry; season to taste with salt and cayenne, and serve immediately.

To Make AheadThis soup can be prepared through step 3, cooled, covered, and refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months. Reheat over low heat before proceeding with step 4.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:41 pm

Copycat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Really Delicious!)

TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon + 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 small/medium sweet yellow onion, diced small
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced finely
1/4 cup all ­purpose flour
2 cups low ­sodium vegetable stock (chicken stock may be substituted)
2 cups fat­ free half­ and­ half (regular half­ and­ half may be substituted; whole milk or 2% milk will work but soup won't be as creamy)
2 to 3 cups broccoli florets, diced into bite­ size pieces + 1 cups stems, optional (I used 3 cups florets and 1 cup stems as not to waste them)
2 large carrots, trimmed, peeled, and sliced into very thin rounds, about 1/16th­ inch
3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or regular paprika, optional and to taste
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder, optional and to taste
pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste (doesn't make soup spicy and serves to enhance flavor)
8 ounces grated high quality extra­ sharp cheddar cheese, with a small amount reserved for garnishing bowls
(Don't buy pre-shredded it won't melt right. Shred your own high quality cheddar.)

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a small saucepan, add 1 tablespoon butter, the diced onion, and sauté over medium heat until the onion is translucent and barely
browned, about 4 minutes. Stir intermittently.
2. Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn. Remove from heat and set pan aside.
3. In a large heavy­ bottom pot (I use this Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast­Iron 6­3/4­Quart Oval French (Dutch) Oven) add 4
tablespoons butter, flour, and cook over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes, whisking constantly, until flour is thickened. You are
making a roux and it's very important the mixture is thick or soup will never thicken properly later.
4. Slowly add the vegetable stock, whisking constantly.
5. Slowly add the half and­ half, whisking constantly.
6. Allow mixture to simmer over low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until it has reduced and thickened some. Whisk intermittently to
re­incorporate the 'skin' that inevitably forms, this is normal.
7. While mixture is simmering, chop the broccoli and carrots. After simmering 15 to 20 minutes, add the broccoli, carrots, and the onion
and garlic you previously set aside.
8. Simmer until broccoli and carrots are tender about 10 minutes. Top bowls with a bit of shredded cheddar.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:52 am

I posted this on the what's for dinner thread, but I'm on the hunt for a Salmon Chowder recipe and I'd love the Corn Chowder recipe mentioned! And a Tortilla Soup recipe that doesn't have meat in it!

I can't stomach meat right now and morning sickness is kicking my rear. Soup seems to not make me sick, so I've been eating a TON of soup lately!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:20 am

I quarter a bunch of tomatoes, place in a pyrex baking dish, add some onion pieces if available. Drizzle with olive oil and bake until starting to caramelize. Transfer to a pot and blend with an immersion blender, add salt, pepper & basil to taste. Finish with cream (I usually use sour cream).

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”