Does anyone else drive like this?

Mareless
Herd Member

Does anyone else drive like this?

Postby Mareless » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:08 pm

Maybe I get away with it because I mostly drive rural roads without much traffic. But, I've recently noticed that I am in the habit of, when coming to an intersection with a stop sign, stopping the car when my shoulder is even with the stop sign. Not the front bumper of the car, my shoulder.

A "bad" habit from dressage?

Does anyone else find themselves driving like that?

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Does anyone else drive like this?

Postby Flight » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:47 am

Um no. I'd end up with the front of my car wiped out!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:03 am

I try to leg yield my car into parking spaces.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:43 am

no it is not proper form . In some situations you might have to edge out to see around an obstructions, \but you are supposed to stop behind or at the stop sign / line first.

that type of stop makes me panic when I am coming the other way, it is non-committal

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:54 am

That doesn't end well around here.
Last edited by heddylamar on Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:43 pm

It's not just not proper form in most/all states, it's a traffic violation.

One is supposed to stop behind the stop (or limit) line or before entering the crosswalk. That means the front of your car, not the front wheels nor your shoulder.

After you've stopped, you can then proceed forward if you need a clear view of the intersection including other vehicles *and* bicycles and pedestrians.

Stopping as you describe could cause a bicyclist or pedestrian or someone in a wheelchair on the cross street to have to go into the intersection to get around the front of your car. (Been there, done that being in a w/c having to cross in front of an inconsiderate driver.)

Regardless of why, it *is* a bad habit that could get you pulled over on a traffic stop...

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:12 pm

Heck, at least you stop at stop signs :shock: DH is the King of Rolling (no)Stops. He must be color blind because he can't see red or yellow ;) Other folks, after riding in the car with him, have remarked on his tendency to slow-roll through such intersections. He hasn't yet decided to proceed through traffic lights. Yet.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:54 pm

texsuze wrote:Heck, at least you stop at stop signs :shock: DH is the King of Rolling (no)Stops. He must be color blind because he can't see red or yellow ;) Other folks, after riding in the car with him, have remarked on his tendency to slow-roll through such intersections. He hasn't yet decided to proceed through traffic lights. Yet.

Around here, slowing but not actually stopping before rolling through a stop sign is known as a "farmer stop".

I stop properly in town or city driving. It's just out here in the boonies is where I find myself not with my bumper even with the stop sign. Most of the signs are at least an entire car length back of the actual intersection and especially in the summer (crops tall in the fields on either side) or on hills you have to creep up even with the cross street to see if it's clear on all sides to go. This is 55 mph speed country roads.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:17 am

I got honked at and nearly rear ended for stopping behind the line once. I stopped, got out examined my rear tires and asked the guy "do I have a flat". I dont recommend it, it could yet you shot or run over by some dick with road rage, but in that instant it felt pretty good. Lol

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:20 pm

Mareless wrote:Most of the signs are at least an entire car length back of the actual intersection and especially in the summer (crops tall in the fields on either side) or on hills you have to creep up even with the cross street to see if it's clear on all sides to go. This is 55 mph speed country roads.

This makes much more sense than what you originally described. I've spent a lot of time driving in rural farming communities (most of my family lives in the boonies), and know exactly what you're referring to. Stop signs are far closer to the roadway here, in the DC metro area.

There's a particularly hilarious stop sign near my Mom's farm in rural west TN that's set back 24' (I stepped it out when I was running one day) from the cross road. WHY?! In the summer, the kudzu is so tall you can barely see the sign, let alone the T-intersection, and in the winter there's still too much vegetation to see in either direction. You end up crawling into the near side oncoming lane (which, fortunately, is coming from the easier to see direction) before you can see more that 8' down the farside oncoming lane. It's particularly inconvenient since I'm always making a left, but fortunately there's little traffic.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:24 pm

Chisamba wrote:I got honked at and nearly rear ended for stopping behind the line once. I stopped, got out examined my rear tires and asked the guy "do I have a flat". I dont recommend it, it could yet you shot or run over by some dick with road rage, but in that instant it felt pretty good. Lol

Here it's pretty common for people to stop short of the line at stop lights - short enough that they often don't trigger the sensors. Hilarious fun when you're waiting to cross the major roads during rush hour - the lights don't change unless they're triggered.

... of course, people here ALSO don't actually stop at stop signs, usually just cruise through and look shocked when you don't yield :lol:

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”