About skin cancer.........

Rockabilly
Herd Member

About skin cancer.........

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:40 pm

I have it. It was surprising to me, but all the years riding horses, mowing and gardening has caught up with me. I had this sore on my left fore arm that would not heal so my husband took me to a good Dermatologist in Nashville yesterday. The doctor is a good doctor. He removed it painlessly to me and left a small crater size hole in my arm. I also found out I have Exzema on my left hand and behind my ear. Got a prescription cream for that. He will let me know the results of the tests in about a week he said. I guess I just wanted to talk about it a little bit and also see if any of you have had an experience with it.

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: About skin cancer.........

Postby khall » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:57 pm

I have not though probably will as well in the future. My dad had a sizable place removed from his chin a few years ago. It took a bit for it to come back to full feeling (cut some nerves, left him a bit tingly) but has not come back.

Jingles for quick healing and no return of the cancer.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:57 pm

It's quite common. Both my (outdoorsy) parents have had multiple lesions removed over the years. Wishing you rapid healing!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Ah, skin cancer. Something I know very very well.
Before my career change to computer life, I was a Mohs Histotechnologist. This is a specially trained histotechnologist who helps to map out skin cancers while the patient is receiving surgery.
Mohs is generally reserved for larger skin cancers or areas that require skin saving (like on the face).

Please feel free to reach out if you want to know more.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Jingles for a benign pathology report. Did your doc feel this was skin cancer?

Two years ago, DH had a tiny black dot removed from the back of his neck which came back desmoplastic (?sp) melanoma. Dermatologist went back and did more resection. So DH is now a 'statistic'. His melanoma might recur, but for now he is clear and has moved on from the diagnosis.

My dad, years ago, had a Stage 4 melanoma removed from his scapula area (shoulder). When he saw the dermatologist for the initial examination, the doc would not let him go home; admitted him then and there to the hospital. Dad's melanoma never metastasized or recurred during the remainder of his life.

With my history of deliberate sun exposure as a teen, I'm convinced I'll have skin cancer at some point in the future. Mom has had many Mohs procedures on her face and we're the same skin type.

Don't fear and be positive. And try your best to stay covered. Keep us posted please.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:56 pm

I guess we should ask, is this a melanoma type skin cancer or basal cell or squamous cell? The latter two are more of a pesky problem than melanoma

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:00 pm

texsuze wrote:Jingles for a benign pathology report. Did your doc feel this was skin cancer?

Don't fear and be positive. And try your best to stay covered. Keep us posted please.

Yes, the doctor said it was skin cancer, but not what kind.

Thank You. I may be doing this after I let the horse out of the barn, but I ordered sun clothes, a sun hat that covers the side of my face and my neck, sun glasses and a highly recommended sunscreen.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:21 pm

Was it a dark spot?

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Chancellor of many talents! Very kind of you to offer support and education.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:38 pm

I go yearly to the dermatologist for my "spot" checks. Over the years, I've had about 8-9 moles removed where 4 were pre-melanoma. I'll go again next month and will ask about a lesion on my temple. This one might be the "pesky" kind. I'm fair skinned and of course spent years outside with sun exposure - it seems to catch up to us someday.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:19 pm

piedmontfields wrote:Chancellor of many talents! Very kind of you to offer support and education.

I can talk skin cancer all the time! I frequently tell people at work that there is no such thing as a healthy tan....and threaten to bring in the book I am published in showing HUGE repairs on skin cancers that were left alone for too long (which I am sure is NOT the case with Rockabilly(don't want to scare you)).
I remember one patient who came to us for a consult for a skin cancer that was probably 4 or 5 centimeters across. he didn't want to have Mohs. Instead, he went to Australia for some "treatment". 5 years later he was back with a skin cancer twice the size.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Chancellor wrote:Was it a dark spot?

Yes, the top of it is dark, like a dark scab on it.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:56 pm

Chancellor wrote:
piedmontfields wrote:Chancellor of many talents! Very kind of you to offer support and education.

I can talk skin cancer all the time! I frequently tell people at work that there is no such thing as a healthy tan....and threaten to bring in the book I am published in showing HUGE repairs on skin cancers that were left alone for too long (which I am sure is NOT the case with Rockabilly(don't want to scare you)).

This sore was noticeable the last few weeks. It was like a sore that would not heal. The doctor asked me how long I had it and I couldn't say for positive. I did tell him when I got my taxes done in March it was not there.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:15 pm

Rockabilly wrote: I did tell him when I got my taxes done in March it was not there.

LOL! That's a way of marking time! Melanoma caught early is good news. Jingles!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:37 am

Rockabilly wrote:
Chancellor wrote:

This sore was noticeable the last few weeks. It was like a sore that would not heal. The doctor asked me how long I had it and I couldn't say for positive. I did tell him when I got my taxes done in March it was not there.

My guess from what you are saying is that it is likely either BCC or SCC.....both just pesky kinds. Not the really bad king.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:48 pm

California and Hawaii and horses...yep, lots of skin cancers. All squamous and basal so far. Being married to an oncologist helps >;-> he keeps an eye on any bump or mole.

All of you/us should consider asking your derm for Aldara or Zyclara. These are creams that you put on healthy looking skin in areas that have had a lot of exposure. It triggers an immune response from your healthy skin cells to attack precancerous cells lurking that we can not yet see. It is CRAZY. The first time I used it on my ears, which looked fine...OMG they scabbed and bled and looked like I had burned them. All of that was lurking under normal looking skin. I do it now every year. This year under my left eye and temple blew several lesions. My skin had looked totally normal. My derm loves it since it shows whats happening before we can see it or feel it. If I have a visible lesion it blows up like mad even more. It doesn't scar usually...I have one scar on one that was on my arm and was just a pale scabby thing, my whole arm blew up and that one left a scar. Its really amazing.

Research has shown that sun screen will not do much in preventing melanoma but does work in preventing basal and squamous. There may be more of a genetic link in the melanomas. But covering up and using zinc is still a very good idea.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:48 pm

The doctor called me a couple of days ago and told me the skin cancer was very low grade. I think he called it Basal Cell, but I am not for positive. Anyway, it appears to not be a problem. It is healing now and I don't go outside without sun protection anymore. Thank You all for your good and kind thoughts.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:19 am

Doing a happy dance for your news, Rockabilly! Stay in the shade!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:59 pm

Rockabilly wrote:The doctor called me a couple of days ago and told me the skin cancer was very low grade. I think he called it Basal Cell, but I am not for positive. Anyway, it appears to not be a problem. It is healing now and I don't go outside without sun protection anymore. Thank You all for your good and kind thoughts.

Basal cell is the best kind of skin cancer to get if you have to get it at all. It "only" causes local damage and will not metastasize. Left to grow, though, it will cause sores etc. But it is easily treated with an excision. Or Mohs depending on the location. It is literally no more than a nuisance.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”