A Chapter Closing

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

A Chapter Closing

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:43 pm

It's not something I've talked about much on here, but for the last several years I've also been breeding and showing rabbits. I've had a lot of fun, and it kept me busy when I couldn't spend much time at the barn. But now that I'm out of school, and Phoenix is older, and things have changed... I've been finding I'd much rather focus my time and resources on Phoenix. I started the process of selling all my rabbits this week and it's really hard to see them go. I had 2 litters of babies I had planned to show this fall, and when I started evaluating them and taking pictures of their confirmation for sale ads, I almost called it off and decided to keep them anyway. I have some REALLY nice ones that would have done well and would have been a lot of fun to show.
But, Phoenix won't always be young, and she's where I want my focus. I can always do rabbits again later. I'm sad, and my emotions are a bit all over the place. I'm doing my best to place them with other breeders where I could access my lines again in a few years if things change. I know that I'm making the right decision, but man its tough. Just needing to put it out there somewhere. DH feels a lot of guilt over me making this decision, so I find it hard to tell him how truly sad I am about it. I'm mostly just putting this out there to be able to speak my feelings on it. I'll toss up some of my favorite pictures for fun, because they're cute.
Attachments
IMG_2363.jpg
IMG_2363.jpg (137.18 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
IMG_2266.jpg
IMG_2266.jpg (148.9 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
IMG_2269.JPG
IMG_2269.JPG (53.49 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Re: A Chapter Closing

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:53 pm

A few more
Attachments
IMG_2213.JPG
IMG_2213.JPG (56.9 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
IMG_8923 (1).JPG
IMG_8923 (1).JPG (125.73 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
IMG_0920.jpg
IMG_0920.jpg (120.33 KiB) Viewed 7912 times

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Beautiful! Change is hard. Can you get back into it if you want later? I know nothing about this. ...best of luck

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:32 pm

Ryeissa wrote: Can you get back into it if you want later?

I can. I'm keeping all of my cages and equipment for now in case I realize this was a huge mistake. I'm doing my best to place them with breeders I can stay in touch with and possibly buy babies back from in that event, or further down the line if my circumstances change again and allow more time and resources for them.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:55 pm

wondering if its worth just cutting back drastically? Keep one doe, show a few babies etc. I have a friend who breeds and shows rabbits and i do know it takes a lot of time and commitment. OTOH i am sure you know what is best for yourself, my suggestion is just that.

I used to have pet rabbits and I too do not even keep a pet anymore, mostly because I felt guilty about not spending more time with my rabbit so when it passed from old age i did not get another.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Chisamba- I did cut back drastically probably 6-8 months ago. I had hoped that would be enough but it wasn't. I went from 10-12 adults to 4 and only breeding 2 litters at a time instead of 3-4 litters at a time. It just still ends up sucking up too much money and time that I'd rather be spending on clinics and lessons, or saving for a saddle and other expensive buys I need. I've also really struggled to keep up with things like cage cleaning and nail trims when so much time is spent at the barn, which really isn't fair to them. Definitely a good suggestion though!

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:19 am

Aww they are so cute! Sorry that probably didn't help. Sorry you have to give them up.
Good idea to keep your equipment, just in case you want to get back into it. It's hard to fit everything in at once.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:46 am

Could you keep a pet or two and not breed them? They really are beautiful.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:10 am

Beautiful bunnies. I know you will miss them.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Oh you have Rex, I love Rex! That's what I showed as a kid in 4H, my broken black doe was state fair champion. Years later, in my 20's, I was given a broken chin mini-rex doe by a friend, the rabbit was an absolute witch, the vorpal bunny come to life. I did the same thing, which is funny come to think of it, that I did with a mare belonging to the same friend when the horse had to come stay with me for 7 months last year. Didn't put up with her shit, and ignored her unless she was nice. Both bunny and horse came around. That broken chin became the MOST lovely house rabbit, and was our adored pet for the rest of her life. I hope you can take up rabbits again someday, when life allows.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:20 pm

Josette- I could in theory, but I think the temptation to continue to breed would be too strong. I really just need to cut back in general. We have several other pets as well, and I've been spread way too thin with being at the barn almost every evening.
I'm coming more and more to terms with this, and when cleaning time came last week found myself thinking I couldn't wait until they are gone. I had to stay up super late just to clean since I had been at the barn every evening. The sales money has been nice too, and has allowed me to get some things I needed for Phoenix.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”