Still two more months til vacation and THIS!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Still two more months til vacation and THIS!

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:18 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TGugye ... e=youtu.be

St Maarten airport is one of the most dangerous airports to land in. But it is oh so worth it.

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Still two more months til vacation and THIS!

Postby KathyK » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:51 pm

*sigh* It's definitely worth it.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:02 pm

Oh yes! The SO and I are seriously considering getting married in St Maarten. We've been researching the paperwork aspects of it and it hasn't seemed too daunting yet, except for that landing. lol

I start my 10 day vacation at noon today. We have no concrete plans except for a renn fair, SOs birthday plans, one photography job that I have to do on Saturday, and heading down to the coast for fishing.

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:17 pm

Gorgeous. People sit on the beach and watch jets skim their heads?

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:18 pm

Glad a went a few years ago - before I knew it was dangerous! LOL

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:41 pm

Yes, people sit on that beach and watch the jets come in. And there are plenty of stupid ones who hold onto the fence and get blasted by the jet wash. In St Maarten, they post a sign about how dangerous it is and if people are dumb enough to do it, so be it. If that airport was in the US, that entire beach would be locked down to prevent stupid people from becoming "victims" of Darwin.

St Maarten would be lovely to get married RTR. If you DO decide to do that, let me know. I can give you ALL SORTS of tips. DH and I are time share owners there and go at least once a year.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:53 pm

Chancellor wrote:St Maarten would be lovely to get married RTR. If you DO decide to do that, let me know. I can give you ALL SORTS of tips. DH and I are time share owners there and go at least once a year.

Absolutely! Thank you so much for the offer. I'm sure we will need all the tips we can get.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:Oh yes! The SO and I are seriously considering getting married in St Maarten. We've been researching the paperwork aspects of it and it hasn't seemed too daunting yet, except for that landing. lol

FWIW, friends had a destination wedding outside Cancun, Mexico. They had a civil ceremony in the USA before hand, just to make sure all legal bases were covered.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:09 pm

St. Thomas is my personal favorite but St. Maarten is rather awesome too. you lucky duck!

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:52 pm

Check out St Barts for day trip. Our pilot looked about 20 years old. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61OaDBYzEIc

We stayed at a beautiful Inn on a hillside in Grande Case.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... artin.html

Walked down to all the restaurants. This one was our favorite.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... artin.html

This hotel was down the hill from L Eslanade. Grand Case Beach Club had lovely for breakfast on deck overlooking water. However, HIGHLY recommend to do their daily catamaran named Scooby Doo where they do all day trip to Anquilla with included lunch and snorkling swimming included. LOVED IT!!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:03 pm

St Barts...we have never managed to get there. We got to St Maarten every year for the last 10+ years. We've made it to Anguilla but not St Barts.

Le Pressoir is lovely. Been there many times. Our favorite is Le Tastevin although last years Ocean 82 trip was definitely the highlight.

I LOVE talking about St Maarten

wenlips
Greenie

Postby wenlips » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:17 pm

My husband and I went to the airport at St. Maarten last year while we were on a cruise. We had a fabulous time, had lunch at the restaurant there (which was fine), and got to see some huge planes landing. You can check the landing schedule ahead of time if you're interested in seeing the big planes land, plus the restaurant has the schedule posted too.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:32 pm

Sunset Bar and Grill used to be so much better. Once they got the cruise population to start coming, the quality of the food went WAY DOWNHILL. They used to have the best burger on the island. Now, I think you can get a burger at McDonalds. It's really unfortunate especially since St Martin is trying to sell itself as the "Culinary Capital of the Caribbean". At least Grand Case is.

Ike
Greenie

Postby Ike » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:25 pm

Went to Nevis for my honeymoon. We landed in St. Maarten and then got on a terrifyingly rickety little plane with a flat tire for the short flight to Nevis. We were in the first row and could look into the cockpit area- there were switches and knobs that were wired and taped down so they couldn't be used. Totally worth the scary ride!

mzloolue
Greenie

Postby mzloolue » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:58 am

St. Martin is the most photo shopped looking place I have ever been.

Orient Beach.
And we were not nude.

Maho Beach looked larger on the video than I recall.

Don Giovanni
Novice

Postby Don Giovanni » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:59 pm

Ike wrote:Went to Nevis for my honeymoon. We landed in St. Maarten and then got on a terrifyingly rickety little plane with a flat tire for the short flight to Nevis. We were in the first row and could look into the cockpit area- there were switches and knobs that were wired and taped down so they couldn't be used. Totally worth the scary ride!

We honeymooned on St. Kitts and went to Nevis for a day. Soooooooo gorgeous! I loved the plantations on the beach, and would love to stay at Oualie Beach resort some day.
We took the ferry over - I'm not sure which would have been scarier. I'm a terrible sailor and tend to get seasick if I spell the word BOAT. The ferry was waaaayyyy over loaded, the sea was rough, the kid in front of me threw up everything he had eaten in the last week it seemed...you get the picture. Still worth it though.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”