Question for those competing in USDF shows (or who have students competing)

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Question for those competing in USDF shows (or who have students competing)

Postby blob » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:27 am

In the past year or so, I've noticed that the recognized shows I've gone to have been smaller in size than i remember them being in the past. I started showing again last year after a break of several years, so I can't really track year by year. But this year, i've had several shows where I've been the only person in my class at second level, third level, and even at training level.

I don't know if this has to do with more/different showing options in my region making any one show less concentrated because they're more options. Or if my area has fewer people showing these day. Or if less people are showing in general. So, I was curious for those of you also going out to USDF shows--have you noticed shows having fewer participants?

KathyK

Re: Question for those competing in USDF shows (or who have students competing)

Postby KathyK » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:05 pm

Yes, our GMO's recognized show has been dwindling in size for a few years. One factor is a very nice new venue a few hours away that has a show the weekend before ours. Many of our members go to that show and skip ours. I guess I understand wanting to show at a lovely, newer venue, but it makes me sad that they don't support their own organization's show. We are contemplating a smaller (two rings instead of three), lower rated show in the future, and may even take a bye next year.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:18 pm

In my area they are generally pretty full, but there are a lot of people here.

In general, though, I think the last five years has seen a pretty big decline in showing. I think it's a bunch of reasons. The fees have just gotten to be a lot, so unless you're pretty wealthy, it can be a big hit. There are a lot more people with money and really nice horses and a lot of help competing, so the average Joe really doesn't have much chance and a lot of the average AA's are not competing anymore. The who freestyle requirement debacle really put a lot of people over the edge in being done with the USDF and USEF not caring about the masses paying the dues and catering to the rich elite.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:39 pm

Tanga wrote:In my area they are generally pretty full, but there are a lot of people here.

In general, though, I think the last five years has seen a pretty big decline in showing. I think it's a bunch of reasons. The fees have just gotten to be a lot, so unless you're pretty wealthy, it can be a big hit. There are a lot more people with money and really nice horses and a lot of help competing, so the average Joe really doesn't have much chance and a lot of the average AA's are not competing anymore. The who freestyle requirement debacle really put a lot of people over the edge in being done with the USDF and USEF not caring about the masses paying the dues and catering to the rich elite.

Yes, I was also thinking the rising fees might be playing a role. In my area there are are a lot of very wealthy horse folks (winter in wellington kind of folks) and I wonder if they are largely no longer doing the local shows and instead driving further to shows that are also holding CDIs and such alongside. And then with many average AA's competing less or at all, it's making for a real drop off.

I was pretty surprised to be the only person in my Training Level 3 AA tests this weekend--usually that's a pretty popular class!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:52 pm

[/quote]Yes, I was also thinking the rising fees might be playing a role. In my area there are are a lot of very wealthy horse folks (winter in wellington kind of folks) and I wonder if they are largely no longer doing the local shows and instead driving further to shows that are also holding CDIs and such alongside. And then with many average AA's competing less or at all, it's making for a real drop off.

I was pretty surprised to be the only person in my Training Level 3 AA tests this weekend--usually that's a pretty popular class![/quote]

For example, ten years ago I was able to enter two rides at a show for about $125. It is $200 at the cheapest show now, and some I won't even go to anymore. I have two places I can go that don't charge "haul in" fees. I went to one that was $50 a HORSE this year, so $100 for the two horses I ride. Others are $30 and $40 a HORSE.

There is a lot of wealth in my area, so there are people of all levels who can buy nice horses and help and ride at all levels, and this is a championships in the north year, so the shows are pretty well filled. But, you see fewer and fewer of the average person.

As an aside, I visited a friend in Florida and we visited Wellington. The cost to just be there is insane. The quality of the riding was not what I expected. I could do a lot better there than here.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:27 pm

Trend in my area: Sparse lower-level classes, but surprisingly full 4th+ classes (especially amateurs). May be linked to the increases in costs; suspect that as a population people in this area are waiting to show til they are more advanced.

We may also be experiencing an ebb in new-to-the-sport interest and/or converts from H/J or eventing.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:37 pm

On the other hand, our schooling shows fill to the brim, and very quickly. Lots of Intro, and a decent number of Western Dressage entries.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:45 pm

I see a lot of people going to.less expensive schooling shows and once they feel they have mastered a level going to rated shows.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”