Vent--please call me back

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Vent--please call me back

Postby PaulaO » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:40 pm

I have used farrier AG for 3 years. I like him, Miss A. likes him, I like his work. No problem scheduling him (except for a few minor blips but I expect that). Ariel is due for shoes next week. Last week I FB messaged AG twice. No response. I texted him. No response. I left him a voicemail. No response. If he doesn't want to do Ariel's shoes, fine, but just let me know. I left a voicemail for another farrier. No response. I have one left to call and if no response from her, I don't know what to do. There are lots of farriers around here, but they aren't necessarily good. Last month (since AG's schedule and mine didn't mesh) I had the barn farrier do Ariel. He did a good job but she hated him. She reared and misbehaved and eventually he put a twitch on her. I don't want her to go through that again. Plus I almost passed out from the anxiety.

Just a vent. If worse comes to worse, I can have the barn manager pull her shoes and she will be barefoot until I find someone we both approve of.

Josette

Re: Vent--please call me back

Postby Josette » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:34 pm

I've always had a standing appointment schedule with my farrier (or anyone I used in the past). When they are done the next appt date is already booked. Rarely has an appt been missed - only for some personal emergency on the farrier. I never cancel an appt. I would highly recommend this arrangement versus calling to make each appt. - unless I misunderstood your post.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:10 pm

Very few farriers around here do standing appointments. It's "call or text a week before your horse is due."

Briarwood
Novice

Postby Briarwood » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:20 pm

I am surprised. When I was in that area and even when I was at Tower Hill (when it first became Tower Hill), most farriers kept standing appointment schedules. Even in this out of the way, forgottonia part of Illinois where I am now, several farriers keep standing appointment schedules. Do others at your barn use the same farrier? I would think that if there are a couple of horses at the barn that can get on the same schedule a farrier would be happy to do the standing appointment schedule.

(BTW: I just saw a real estate ad for Tower Hill. That the current owner is wanting to retire. Ad said now listed with a new price of $4.18M.)

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:31 pm

Sorry your not getting call backs, possibly he was on vacation or had phone issues.

In 20 some years of horse ownership I have never had to call for an appt. always had me on a schedule.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:32 pm

Oh, are you the only person at your barn that uses this farrier?

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:32 pm

Oh, are you the only person at your barn that uses this farrier?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:41 pm

I am the only person who uses this farrier, but he goes to other barns in the area. I have calls out to 2 farriers, one of which does several horses at the barn. I’m particular about Miss A’s feet, and there are many farriers around who are not good.

Briarwood, THS has been for sale for a few years.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:26 am

My farrier schedules the next appointment before he leaves. Amusingly -- to both of us -- I have him pre-scheduled ad infinitum in my electronic calendar, so his appointment cards are just a confirmation.

I wouldn't be able to deal with calling and scheduling 2 weeks before. That's just too last minute for me.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:48 am

If you can make contact to get your favorite farrier back - discuss with him how you can coordinate your visit with the the nearby farm visits. This may help him and you to keep to a pre-booked schedule. I have one horse at home and my farrier has me on a schedule with the nearby farms he visits. I am his first stop in the morning and then he goes onto the farms with multiple horses. He always texts me the night before to confirm appt.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Sounds to me like phone or personal problems. Can you find someone else who uses him as ask if they know how he is or what might be going on?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:17 pm

Currently I’m 0 for 4 in the farrier department. I have left voice mails, texts, and FB messages. Texts and messages have been seen. If worse comes to worse, I can give Miss A. Ace and have the school horse farrier do her, but I hate the thought of putting her through that.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:24 pm

PaulaO wrote:Currently I’m 0 for 4 in the farrier department. I have left voice mails, texts, and FB messages. Texts and messages have been seen. If worse comes to worse, I can give Miss A. Ace and have the school horse farrier do her, but I hate the thought of putting her through that.

Is it possible that your farrier is dropping you because he's downsizing and Miss A is one of his more difficult ones? Some farriers do seem to have a problem with informing customers when they've decided to drop them.

Do you think it's still hard on her, even with Ace?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Hallelujah! I got a recommendation from the highly sought after farrier in this area. Called the guy he recommended who pulled out his appointment book. We have a visit scheduled for September 3.

Ariel was never difficult with my original farrier. She just stood there, ho hum.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”