Sidelines Magazine

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Sidelines Magazine

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:38 pm

I picked it up a couple years ago at the Great Lakes Equestrian Festival. It's essentially a real estate magazine for the hunter/jumper world, but the subscription was/is cheap, and it was kind of fun to gawk at the Wellington properties for sale. Well, it's turning into a really nice magazine with more and better-written articles! Still mostly self-promotion stuff, but interesting and well done. And they seem to be covering dressage more and more, though for the life of me, I can't figure out how there is SO MUCH money in the H/J world, and not in ours.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Sidelines Magazine

Postby PaulaO » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:38 pm

Truly, the amount of money spent by amateurs in the h/j world is outstanding. I occasionally read the h/j forum on TOB, and I gawp that everyone has to have a warm blood and certain name saddle and helmets that cost over $500.

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby KathyK » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:39 pm

The hunter world is very much about style, and all the judging is subjective but not really based on a written standard. "Unconventional" tack (and even clothing, IMO) can be penalized. Judge doesn't like your rounded cantle? Boom, points off.

It's one of the things I love about dressage. While the judging is subjective, it's done against a standard and we get to see what the judge said. And tack and dress are legal or not legal.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Then again, in the jumper world anyway, she who jumps highest/fastest, wins. :D

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”