a "what would you do" scenario about cats

Boudicea
Novice

a "what would you do" scenario about cats

Postby Boudicea » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:56 pm

Since this seems more like a personal/ethical type of question I thought to post it here rather than in the menagerie. I apologize if I erred on that decision.

I can go into details if you'd like. I am not meaning to be coy but every time I've tried to write this I find myself writing a novel and then crying because I'm still really upset over what happened. But if you're curious about details or why I'm asking this question just let me know. 

My question is, if you were a siamese cat breeder and you sold someone two kittens, and they came back to you a year later and told you one of them escaped and got lost (probably eaten or stolen) would you be willing to sell them another cat? 

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: a "what would you do" scenario about cats

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:21 pm

Boudicea wrote:My question is, if you were a siamese cat breeder and you sold someone two kittens, and they came back to you a year later and told you one of them escaped and got lost (probably eaten or stolen) would you be willing to sell them another cat? 

What’s your gut feeling about the buyers? Why were you fine selling two cats to them in the first place? If none of that has changed, then sell them another.

Horrible accidents do happen.

My childhood cat was an escape artist. A neighbor was housesitting and he slipped out the door. We all spent days searching for him, then left out his favorite treat — sardines — for months, but no Errol :(

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:26 pm

I was a Siamese breeder for 35 years. I would say, it depends on how you feel about them and who well you know them. Bad things do happen. Is it just bad luck or irresponsible?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:53 pm

If you want a yes or no answer, I would say no. Anyone who has Meezers know they are smart and devious and owners need to be ever vigilant.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:11 pm

This is probably not helpful, but I could understand either decision from the breeder. It would matter a lot what I thought of the breeder and how they placed their kittens in how I reacted if that makes sense.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:52 pm

heddylamar wrote:
Boudicea wrote:My question is, if you were a siamese cat breeder and you sold someone two kittens, and they came back to you a year later and told you one of them escaped and got lost (probably eaten or stolen) would you be willing to sell them another cat? 

Horrible accidents do happen.

Yeah - we were driving through a snowstorm in Wyoming when the vehicle behind us flipped. We went back and the driver was OK, but said go look for her cats. :? She was on her way to a cat show, and her cats were in crates in the cab of the truck. The doors popped open and the truck windows broke and the cats bailed. We found one curled up in the tire well of the truck, but the other one was just gone (it was dark out and we were 20 miles outside of Laramie).

I'm sure this situation was less extreme, but unfortunate things happen with cats, horses and all sorts of things. It sounds like you're not comfortable selling her another though, so I would say go with your gut.
Keep calm and canter on.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:09 am

To me, it depends if it was negligence or an accident.

We lost one of our meezers. No idea what happened, he vanished. We eventually found him, 54 weeks later. Some on the board may remember me posting about it.
I don't think the breeder would have penalised us (even if the result had not been that he came home eventually).

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:46 pm

I know the situation and I have to say Boudicea, this was not your fault. This was very clearly an accident. You are a VERY good owner. I got lucky when Lexicon escaped and was found by my neighbor. You were very unlucky.

This was definitely NOT negligence.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:10 pm

Just another voice to say it depends on whether it was an accidental or negligence. If I saw that the other one had been well taken care of then I would, because accidents do happen and could happen to any of us. And the other cat being healthy and loved would give me most of the info I needed to give them another cat/kitten

Boudicea
Novice

Postby Boudicea » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:52 pm

Thanks Chancellor. ;)

And thanks everyone for your input. I'm the one who lost the kitten. I've been thinking about going back to the breeder and inquire about this runt that was in the litter and she was hanging on to because he was a runt. But I liked him and he was very much full of energy and boldness. My older cat has accepted my little girl but she doesn't like to play and I think the little girl could really do with a playmate and I could do with more meezers in the house. But I've been very nervous to even ask the breeder because I'd have to tell her what happened.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:05 pm

I think if you were honest and said exactly what happened, she would understand. The very fact that you are worried about your little girl needing a playmate would signal to me that you are a responsible owner.
I mean, think about it this way. A very long time ago, my horse got injured at the barn he was at where the cut was down to the bone. Does that make me a bad owner? No! Accidents happen.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:34 pm

If you're concerned about getting another kitty from the breeder, why not adopt a homeless cat from a shelter and avoid any possible tension? Sure, they're not likely to have papered kitties available (although the shelter where I once volunteered had numerous papered animals for adoption throughout the years), but find a Siamese-looking kitty and no one will be the wiser, and shelter kitty will be so happy for a new home :)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:27 pm

I wouldn't get into details or over-explain....It doesn't hurt to ask. you can always have a vet reference as needed.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:38 pm

When we moved to a new place on acreage, my dog got out and ran off and was bitten by the neighbours dog (also out roaming), and ended up dying. I was devastated. Totally my fault, still traumatised by it 15 years later!
When I started looking for another, I did tell the story to a handful of breeders, only one hated me and other 3 or 4 where sympathetic (probably because I couldn't help the tears!) and I ended up with another dog. I guess you take the risk of them deciding not to sell you another, but I found honesty and that you truly do care about it, does show through.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:16 am

Oh no, Boudicea. I'm so sorry.

Talk to the breeder. If they're not receptive, that's on them, not you. ((((hugs))))

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:06 pm

heddylamar wrote:Oh no, Boudicea. I'm so sorry.

Talk to the breeder. If they're not receptive, that's on them, not you. ((((hugs))))

This is well said!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”