Fire at my barn

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Fire at my barn

Postby PaulaO » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:13 pm

Humans and horses are safe. Last night there was a fire in one of the outbuildings. One side of the building is the living quarters for 2 of the barn crew. The other side had stalls that were used only for quarantine. The guys made it out with the clothes on their backs. The main barn and pasture horses are safe. I am absolutely numb.

Briarwood
Novice

Re: Fire at my barn

Postby Briarwood » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:58 pm

So glad to see that your mare is ok. Jingles for you to recover from this and that you can relax once again without constant worry. I logged on to see if you had posted as soon as someone from Chicago called me to ask if I knew this barn.
Last edited by Briarwood on Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:04 pm

Paula, I just can't imagine. So very glad all are safe! Peace for you and all at your barn as you absorb it all over the coming days, weeks, ever. Hugs.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:14 pm

That is so terrifying. I'm relieved that humans and horses are okay. Hope the barn crew gets the help they need to move on.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:44 pm

Big sigh of relief that all are safe, PaulaO. Did this happen overnight? What news to wake up to! Will they rebuild?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:15 pm

I worked all day at the barn doing whatever I was told. The outpouring of community support had me in tears. There was a constant stream of people donating clothing of all kinds, food, money, toiletries, shoes, boots, underwear. Arrangements are being made for an RV to be delivered later for Carlos and Gabriel. There were 2 horses in quarantine in the stalls in the outbuilding. One didn’t not survive. Death by smoke inhalation. The survivor is doing well and was seen by the vet this afternoon.

The electrical transformer was destroyed. No power, so no heat in the club room, no water from the well, no heated buckets and troughs. And no bathrooms. Some people were taken aback at using their horse’s stalls! A water tank was filled at the house so troughs and buckets could be filled. A generator was used to get water at the barn. A group of us formed a bucket brigade to double water the buckets. Two women kept the club room floor washed. One trainer is heading up the donations.

Miss A. was sassy when she came in and unconcerned about last night’s events.

Thank God nobody was hurt. I don’t know what the owners have planned as far as rebuilding.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:33 pm

the one thing that horrified me most about the horses i lost in the fire was being unable to give them a good death. I hate to read of barn fires. I am sorry the poor horse got smoke inhalation poisoning. i am so glad that Miss A is safe and sassy

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:34 pm

So glad your barn community is working together. Hope the barn owners are able to re-group and go on. That is very sad that a horse in quarantine was lost. I'm so glad the staff were able to get out and are okay.

As our staff did tons of work today on the driveways, parking area, and then conveniently groomed the arena right before my ride, I was filled with gratitude. There are amazing people that make boarding barns possible.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:53 pm

I'm so glad that you, the staff, and almost all of the horses are safe. How awful that one did die. Fire is terrifying.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:27 pm

Fire is probably the worst fear for horse owners. Sorry to hear the one horse did not make it and the barn workers lost everything.

The barn I was at for many years used many things that could potentially cause a fire and the comfort of the boarders and barn cat seemed more important than the fear of fire for the barn and horses.

Prayers for all involved in this loss.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:32 pm

What a horrible situation and I'm so sorry about the horse that passed away. Glad the community is helping and the staff - and not surprised.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:30 pm

I am so sorry to hear that a horse was lost. Although I am glad it wasn't worse. It's every horse owner's nightmare. So glad your horse is ok.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:01 am

Sunday update. A boarder brought over an RV and Gabriel is sleeping there. Carlos is sleeping in the barn manager’s spare room. A Chase fund is being set up for donations. The well is operational and several generators are being used for power. The electric company is coming tomorrow to assess what needs to be done WRT a new transformer.

Both Carlos and Gabriel’s cars were ruined in the fire. We have a ways to go but we will get there. We are a strong family.

Benatus
Greenie

Postby Benatus » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:58 am

Is therea way to make a donation?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:38 pm

A Chase fund is being set up for donations. I will let you know the deets when I get them. Thank you for asking.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:53 pm

PaulaO wrote:A Chase fund is being set up for donations. I will let you know the deets when I get them. Thank you for asking.

Paula, Please when you know the details, let me know. We can put a sticky up here to let our members know in case they want to donate. What a horrible thing to happen! So, freaking scarey! You can either message me or email me at Laurie at Cote dot org.

Kirby's Keeper
Novice

Postby Kirby's Keeper » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Jingles to everyone impacted by the fire. Barn fire is one of my greatest fears. Take care of yourself and Miss A.
Proud member of the Ilks Club ;)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:17 pm

Update on the barn fire.

Power should be restored Wednesday or Thursday. The barn is closing at 8 instead of 9 to conserve resources. Electric (and therefore water,heat, and lights) is on from 1-8pm via generator. Bathrooms not working so we have a port-a-potty which is fine but a BIT chilly! BO, BM, and one of the crew have been hand digging the old transformer out and making a spot for the new one. The transformer will have its own house...

The focus will now be on giving Carlos and Gabriel a new home. A Chase account has been established and our Chancellor will be putting up a sticky on how to donate. It's through Zelle.

Thank you all for your thoughts, good wishes, white light, and prayers.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:34 pm

Update to the update. Electric and water now fully functional. Carlos and Gabriel have relocated to the apartment in the main house. Gabriel's insurance company paid out and he has a new(used) silver SUV. I was wrong, the transformer doesn't have its own house, the well does. Monetary donations so far have exceeded over $2,500. A boarder who is involved in mental health has made arrangements for a Spanish mental health worker to talk to Carlos and Gabriel to help process the incident.

And Miss A. is still sassy, but level headed. Last night we were putzing in the indoor, and a trainer decided to jump a clumsy youngster right behind Miss A. Of course the clumsy youngster went through the jump and up Miss A's butt. Miss A. did a boot scoot, then calmly walked away.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”