Minor vent

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Minor vent

Postby PaulaO » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:00 pm

I’ll start with the mom boarder who was at the barn today with her 2 teenage daughters. The barn is not officially closed. The BM strongly suggested boarders not come out. So this woman, WHO IS A NURSE, decided they had to come out and ride. I came out to check Miss A’s stitches. I looked at her stitches, filled her supplements bin, and cleaned her feet. I was out of there in 15 minutes, plus I have permission from the BM to come out.

Grr. I blame the BM for not saying “the barn is closed.”

piedmontfields

Re: Minor vent

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:16 pm

I know what you mean. A lot of people are simply unable to say "no", whether to themselves or others. I have threatened people at the barn with bleach spray and with a water hose when they got too close to me (if they don't want that experience, please stay home!).

--Note: It was in good humor, but it made the point: 2 horse lengths distance, please, at all times.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:59 pm

All 3 coming out at the same time is a bit much with the current situation.

The barn owner hasn't officially closed it to boarders or working horses, so strongly suggesting apparently wasn't enough for this nurse and her daughters.

One local barn has set up times for each boarder to come. I think they have a limit of 10 people including trainer to be at the barn at the same time.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:58 pm

The hammer came down today. No riding, you can only come out to deliver grain, supplements, or check on your speshul needs horse. And even then you can only stay 30 minutes. I think the happy family out there last night broke the camel’s back.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:38 pm

PaulaO wrote:I’ll start with the mom boarder who was at the barn today with her 2 teenage daughters. The barn is not officially closed. The BM strongly suggested boarders not come out. So this woman, WHO IS A NURSE, decided they had to come out and ride. I came out to check Miss A’s stitches. I looked at her stitches, filled her supplements bin, and cleaned her feet. I was out of there in 15 minutes, plus I have permission from the BM to come out.

Grr. I blame the BM for not saying “the barn is closed.”

well, its not closed so apparently it is fine to ride. It sounds like your BO is sending mixed messaging....
Each state is unique in it's orders, some consider riding and training ok. It all depends where you are and what your governor is saying.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:21 pm

Yep Paula, I'd say that lady and her girls made the BO set stricter boundaries.

I actually am a bit leery to ride, I'm concerned that if I get hurt the last place I want to go is the hospital.

Since things with this virus don't seem to be improving, I may even drop down to every other day.

The barn I'm at is not busy, nor does every boarder even come to the barn, but it's still better to be cautious.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:24 pm

Hayburner wrote:Yep Paula, I'd say that lady and her girls made the BO set stricter boundaries.

I actually am a bit leery to ride, I'm concerned that if I get hurt the last place I want to go is the hospital.

Since things with this virus don't seem to be improving, I may even drop down to every other day.

If you (or anyone who is still going to the barn and riding) do get hurt and have to go to the hospital, you will needlessly be using resources that hospitals need for COVID-19 victims.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:39 pm

WhileI get that, it is also a question of animal wellfare.

Here most barns are open. We have a list, only a specific number of boarders is allowed at the barn at the same time for only 2 hours per person. We keep a log and everybody needs to sign in and out. All general rules of social distancing apply. Maximum of 4 riders at the same time in the indoor (I don't think that has happened yet, I was always by myself.)

But it was made quite clear that horses need controlled excercise (versus just paddock/pasture time) to stay happy and healthy (full training being a rare thing around here). Of course there are no lessons or shows or anything like that, no gatherings of more than 2 people, the usual. But riders got a bit of a free pass here in Germany, still being allowed to ride and excercise our horses.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:40 pm

AmityBee wrote:WhileI get that, it is also a question of animal wellfare.

But it was made quite clear that horses need controlled excercise (versus just paddock/pasture time) to stay happy and healthy...

Poppycock. Made quite clear by whom? Many, many horses lead happy, healthy lives without being ridden or any other form of "controlled excercise."

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:18 pm

You can purposely misunderstand me if you like. Not much I can do about that. But I'm pretty sure you are very much aware that I was talking about the average boarding situation with just a few hours of turnout at this time of the year.

And by whom? The Fédération Équestre Nationale made the plea and the powers to be went with it. This isn't about YOU being told that YOU HAVE to ride your horse, this is about people who want and need the option to do that, because their horse might get very little or no excercise AT ALL if they are not allowed to go to their bording facilities. And no, it's not a law BOs have to abide to. If any private buisness feels like it's safer to close they can of course do this. It's an OPTION that the regulatory authorities can allow.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:08 pm

AmityBee wrote:You can purposely misunderstand me if you like. Not much I can do about that. But I'm pretty sure you are very much aware that I was talking about the average boarding situation with just a few hours of turnout at this time of the year.

You assume a lot. If you want to avoid being misunderstood, there is something you can do: write more clearly.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:34 pm

KathyK wrote:
Hayburner wrote:Yep Paula, I'd say that lady and her girls made the BO set stricter boundaries.

If you (or anyone who is still going to the barn and riding) do get hurt and have to go to the hospital, you will needlessly be using resources that hospitals need for COVID-19 victims.

Yeah, but in certain areas there are no real influx of patients.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:36 pm

also, there are state specific laws. In some areas it is totally legal to ride and stay open. Of course we should all do what we feel is best. I would for example not break in a green horse or do jumping.
For me, I am doing some riding but I put my horse in PT training. I also have been making significant changes in my personal life to stay safe and protect my family. I am less concerned about my barn due to how it is setup and the specific location vs other things in my daily life.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:25 pm

We haven't had a lot of hospital cases yet either, and I'm definitely still riding (horses are at home) but just staying in the arena. We can ride out and about but I'm trying to reduce risk of potential injury too.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:55 am

I agree with Amity Bee. Horses are not bicycles. You cannot simply park them til its convenient. Now, if you are lucky enough to have a healthy horse, plenty of turnout it is possible to leave them . Horses however are meant to move. They need it for health and happiness. If you live in as suburban area with limited turn out it is unethical to not provide for your horses health and well being. Horses with insufficient movement stress, get stall vices, get ulcers, colic. I would bet big bucks most boarding barns do not give free choice hay.

So if your boarder is responsible for the exercise of their horse, it is not right to close the barn to them. Set rules, schedule, disinfect common surfaces, cover your cough and keep your distance. Co operate. But please be responsible for the health well being and lack of stress of your horse.

It is in the official guidelines of the farm bureau, animal welfare and FEI.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:29 am

FWIW, I heard a nurse say on NPR that if someone got hurt riding, jogging, auto accident, they should not be worried about imposing in hospital, that the orthopedic divisions are separate and would be relieved to work with such patients.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:54 am

I haven't been riding. Not worth trip to the ER just in case. You'll still go in through ER even if going to ortho eventually. I have a friend who is ICU nurse at local hospital (Kaiser Antioch for Hot4Spots since we're same county). They don't have enough masks (getting 1 per shift) and are not being allowed by their employer to bring their own masks. Plus, I've been on the board of directors of my local fire district, and continue to work with them and my county supervisor on an advisory basis, and I'd just as soon not place ANY burden on the system. Lunging and turnout will suffice just fine for a few weeks.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:31 am

I agree with Quelah. I haven't seen my horses since March 10. They are at a wonderful facility receiving top notch care but it is over 70 miles away which is 3 counties that I would have to traverse. So risking a car accident or a riding accident or transmitting the virus from a high risk area to a lower risk area is out of the question IMO. I've had a tiff with my best friend about this who is continuing to go out there to ride. I consider it to be selfish and irresponsible. The horses are in pasture and don't need us for exercise. Both my daughters are in NYC. I am losing a lot of sleep over them. I doubt that any hospital in NYC would want to be receiving an orthopedic patient right now. So, I am sheltering in place for them and for everyone else.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:57 am

See, that's what I just do not understand. Riding is still maintaining social distance. Why would you criticize your best friend.
My best friend is an ER doctor. I asked her opinion she told me to ride.

So you do you. I am okay with you believing and doing what you think us best. But I am responsible for my horses, and my boarders horses. I am also in direct care. Yes I had to make my own masks. Yes my clothes are spotty from copious bleach.

Please be kind to each other and keep well.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:14 am

When I saw my PCP in early March — after her office had been exposed to an infectious patient, but hadn't yet gone to fully online — she told me to keep riding, and to maintain social distance. On Thursday, last week, my ortho told me to continue riding, it's helping my recovery. Because of the virus, I've been wearing my crash vest as an added precaution. And, I'm driving hubby's electric car, so no gas stations.

My state is on a stay at home order, except necessities, exercise — riding qualifies from everything I've read — and essential personnel.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:26 am

Here, we have a clearer view of how things are progressing locally than we did a few weeks ago. As a county, we have been hit painfully hard by the virus. We are fundamentally a ski resort and a giant playground for the rest of the USA, so we were infected early and very widely. Having booted out the tourists, made it clear to the second home owners that this is not the place for them to be, made out of county Utahns feel very unwelcome, and all taken social distancing very seriously, we are seeing things stabilize and at present our hospital system is keeping up.

So with that in mind, and that my barn is now down to six horses and three owners, (three other owners having taken exception to the riding ban and moved out,) I would be allowed to go ride next week as long as i groomed and tacked up outside and maintained all the deemed appropriate biosecurity protocols.

And I probably would do, except, I'm moving house tomorrow, and so will be in closer contact than I'd like with strangers, so I'm going to have to quarantine myself afterwards... sigh.

My horses are both well and happy, they are turned out all day and being well cared for, ( which is making me realize why I am forking over a bazillion dollars a month for board, I guess) so I'm not going to beat myself up over this.

Apart from not wanting to get sick and bring it back into my own home and family, I do not want the responsibility of making others sick, TBH. I've had a couple of bad bouts of pneumonia in my life, and know that even if this thing doesn't kill or maim you, it's going to make you feel like total shite for three months if you are lucky.

Two more weeks or so, and all things being equal I should be back in the saddle. (PRAYERS!)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:10 pm

I found out it was NOT the mom and daughters happy family that imposed the riding ban. It was the boarder who was out for 6 hours and rode 2 horses. The original communication ASKED boarders not to come out, not to ride. I told the BM he should have dropped the big elbow from the beginning. My instructor rides A. once a week. I see her once or twice a week and that's only because of her stitches.

These rules are in place to protect the guys that work at the farm.

Yesterday the horses went out half a day. On holidays they don't go out at all, but BM decided since nobody was allowed out, the horses were going out for fresh air and exercise. Another reason I love my barn.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:12 am

Moutaineer wrote:Here, we have a clearer view of how things are progressing locally than we did a few weeks ago. As a county, we have been hit painfully hard by the virus. We are fundamentally a ski resort and a giant playground for the rest of the USA, so we were infected early and very widely. Having booted out the tourists, made it clear to the second home owners that this is not the place for them to be, made out of county Utahns feel very unwelcome, and all taken social distancing very seriously, we are seeing things stabilize and at present our hospital system is keeping up.

Two more weeks or so, and all things being equal I should be back in the saddle. (PRAYERS!)

Yes...Idaho's 'hotspot' has been Blaine County...Sun Valley/Ketchum/Hailey. That small county (by population) had had nearly 1/3 of the total cases. They have a small hospital and at one point, I think 4 or 5 of their 7 ER docs were infected. At least 2 of them are back at work. They had to totally close to in-patients and ship them all to Boise.

I am still going to my barn. It is only partial care...owner's toss hay 2x/day...everything else (supplements, cleaning, turnout) is up to the owners. That said, it is a pleasure barn. Most of the horses are in larger pens (50 x 90) or on pasture. The horses in stalls are on the other side of the road from where my horse is. No trainers, no lessons and no haul-ins (never has been in the last 15-20 years that I have boarded there). We have been disinfecting door knobs (tack room and bathroom) but everyone's tack is well separated and no one borrows. No one handles anyone else's horse short of an emergency. I am riding some but certainly not pushing the envelope of our comfort zone. Tonight I was the only one out there. I was riding and doing TOF and with each turn, I heard a faint scraping sound. Look back and she is dragging a tumbleweed in her tail. The weed had been kind of on the track and I thought we had avoided it. But it velcroed right onto her long thick tail. I kept hoping it would fall out but it didn't so I dismounted and removed said weed before she swatted her tail and it ended up goosing her. We were already having major issues with static electricity and me inadvertently zapping her. Low, low humidity and wind that has been wickedly blowing for 3 days :P .

I certainly hope everyone that is not being able to ride gets to before too long. Having to socially distance from humans, at least I can hug my horse :) .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:19 am

I'm at a small barn, and it has not been closed. There are 12 stalls/paddocks (approx. 12 x 130), no other turnout except a round pen. At present, there are only 10 boarders, and three of the horses are fully or semi-retired. There is no trainer, so that is not an option. I generally get out there early these days, and generally can groom, ride, feed and be gone before anyone else arrives. When other boarders arrive, it's usually one or two, and social distancing is easy. There's a sink with soap and hot and cold water in the middle of the barn. If and when we return to some degree of normalcy, usually there is one boarder there before I arrive after work, and one who arrives while I am riding, so social distancing remains easy. (Quelah, I'm at Tru North now, what used to be the Nissens' place looooong ago. Appropriate to be at Crocodile's old home, eh?)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”