No Puppy For Me

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

No Puppy For Me

Postby Hayburner » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:01 am

Well, I've been stalking the rescues Facebook page and I sent the owner another email stating that I know that are busy with the Corona Virus situation, but are the puppies still available.

No response!

In watching the site 3 puppies that I was interested in have been adopted! :twisted: :twisted:

So now I'm pretty mad, I think a response of some sort should have been given to me at the time of my application or at least when I contacted them again.

This rescue does not take phone calls nor are you allowed to stop in, you have to make an appointment via email.
This is their standard procedure not just because of Corona. So, if they ignore your emails how in the heck are you supposed to make an appointment?

If I was passed by for some reason I would appreciate knowing why.

I'm a bit sad about this, I take excellent care of my pets, they are family to me. I have never given a pet away nor had them euthanized without the recommendation of the vets. It's always been age and deteriating health reasons. Never a lack of care or medical needs not being met.

I would be interested in other dogs that they have, I just want a small dog, prefer low shedder.

How do I get them to respond to my emails?

StraightForward

Re: No Puppy For Me

Postby StraightForward » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:18 am

It sounds like right now there is a dog shortage. Everything is getting scooped up by people who are staying at home. I know at least three people personally who want to get a dog and can't find a suitable one available.
Keep calm and canter on.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:20 pm

I don't have a dog, nor am I interested in one. But I have many friends who own OES. Breed specific rescues seem to be a snobby bunch. You have to know someone involved in rescue to even get on the list. And if they don't deem you worthy, you will not get a dog and you will never hear from them. If I wanted a specific breed, I would not go through a rescue. Is there a shelter near you? Or a county humane society? In my area the popular shelters are closed due to Corona. You may have to bide your time til the crisis is over.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:44 pm

PaulaO I am not bred specific, but I do know I want a smallish dog and I would prefer low shedder. This particular rescue is not fully closed due to Corona but they only see you by appt.

They were closed for a week or so, but then reopened.

Their website doesn't even show the available dogs. :(

Just a bit disappointed, but maybe a higher being is settling the tone on this.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:53 pm

HB, I wouldn't deal with them. I understand them being shut down, but if the website doesn't show available dogs, then I wouldn't bother. Not very professional. Yes, yes, I know that rescues are run with volunteer love, but there are plenty of shelters and rescues that do put available pups on their websites.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:43 pm

I may give it one more shot and just ask if they have any small dogs available for adoption and if I can make an appointment to view the dogs they have.

If I again get no response, then I'll assume I don't "pass" their adoption criteria.

The right one will come along, I just have to be patient.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:06 pm

:roll: If it's any consolation I had a rescue turn me down because they felt I was an unsuitable adopter. It didn't matter that I was a vet with a long history of experience with the breed. They were aghast that I left my dogs outside in a fully fenced yard for the day while I was at work. The horror that I would do that to my poochie's in this Arizona heat! They didn't have the decency to check out the covered dog runs with misters and a swamp cooler or the fact that my high drive breed was not only well behaved but pretty happy that they were allowed to do their job during the day so that they always slept peacefully inside with me while I was home........ :roll:

I am in full belief that not only the right one will come along (usually when you least expect it, cliche I know) but that they find you not the other way around......

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:11 pm

Hayburner, that is frustrating! But please don't take it personally - it's not personal.

I don't know if it helps you any, but I've been rejected too. In my case, it's because I had a horse. At the time, I lived in town -- so the dog and the horse would literally never meet. :roll: But there you have it -- and a few months later I found my heart-dog at the pound. Something that never would have happened if I'd gotten that other dog!

My rescue just had puppies, and they are in very high demand - everyone wants them. They had dozens of applications for seven puppies. It's possible that the puppies were adopted out to people the rescue folks already knew, as opposed to someone just applying on their website, as it's easier to vet people you know. There's an element of politics too -- sometimes a "prime" dog is adopted to people who volunteer within the organization before the general public gets a chance. And then the person who fostered the puppies gets to interview everyone and decide where the dogs go.

But after a few of these type of experiences, I firmly believe that the dog you need will find you. Remember they're volunteer organizations, so there's an element of uncoordination and lack of professionalism that comes along with it, especially during this pandemic. If they have other dogs you're interested in, submit an application, be patient and the right dog will find you. Check other local rescues for something that strums your heart. There is a small dog that needs you, and I am sure you will give them a wonderful life.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:39 am

I gave up on rescues due to the ridiculous amount of hoops you have to jump through. I was turned down because I did not have a 6' block wall around my property. Our fence is only 5' tall. (This is for a Boston Terrier who is <>15 inches tall at best.) We were eventually approved after they met us and our existing rescues but that soured me on them for good. Now I either do direct rescue or buy from a reputable, committed breeder.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”