Best purchase under $100

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Best purchase under $100

Postby blob » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:07 pm

My friend does a post every year on Facebook asking people to share the best thing they bought that year for under $100. There are always some great answers.

So, I'm stealing her idea and asking here--what's the best purchase you made in 2020 for under $100? It doesn't have to be horse related. But it can be!

StraightForward

Re: Best purchase under $100

Postby StraightForward » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:16 pm

Since this has been the year of telework, two of my best purchases have been comfy footwear. In the fall I bought a pair of Haflinger wool clogs, and then with winter coming in, I found some Bogs boots with quilted nylon uppers. They are both nice and warm since I work in my basement. The Bogs are waterproof and have good traction for walking on snow and ice.

I've also been upgrading some of my kitchen stuff, and have been snagging Emile Henry bakeware from Sierra Trading Post. My favorite unusual piece is supposed to be a fondue pot. It's about a quart bowl-shaped vessel with a nice handle and a pour spout, and is safe for stovetop and microwave.

Also a $12 wireless charger/stand for my phone. I have it by my desk so that my phone stays charged during the workday whereas I would forget to plug the phone into a charger and have a near-dead phone at the end of the day.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:22 pm

Misen santoku. I've used all sorts of high end knives, cheap knives, custom knives, etc. For the price, this Misen is absolutely the best I've owned.

Related: my thumb is finally healed :shock: :lol:

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:35 pm

my best purchase was an experience. I visited London in January and finally was able to Mudlark; beachcombing on the Thames. It requires a license and is tightly regulated to location etc. I came away with a few clay pipes from the early 1600s and a lovely Echinoid fossil. I cannot wait to return. I follow Nicola White on You Tube if you are interested in this wonderful pastime

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:49 am

;) yeast

toilet paper

nitrile gloves

face mask

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:54 pm

Working from home has made me finally get consistent about hydration. I have gotten several hot/cold beverage containers from Hydroflask this year and love them: https://www.hydroflask.com

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:26 pm

Verilux light therapy lamp

It's cold and dark here in the northeast and I've thought of getting one in the past. Holy H this thing has been a game changer. I have it on my desk and just turn it on for ~30 minutes in the morning while I sit feeling like a plant. So far I have more energy, sleeping better and much improved mood overall. Probably not for everyone but wow I'm impressed.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:27 pm

Horse related: cutback headpiece that was just the ticket for my horse
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FSS-FREEWAY-MO ... SwTXdchslK

Finally found some not flattering but nice winter breeches
Horze Black Fleece Lined Soft Shell Pull On Breeches- I needed something a bit warmer and this works. They are not super flattering and make me feel fat (!!!) but the grips are good and they are warm. I ride inside so for me they are a good material. I don't know if they would hold up for trial riding or outside riding but could be layered since they are stretchy. I wash them carefully and don't dry in the dryer. I don't need a cellphone pocket since I use my jacket or vest for my phone when I'm riding. $75 retail

Not horse related but used for riding $20-30 used on ebay
ZEROXPOSUR Black/Green Packable Down Insulated Sleeveless vest - very light and warm. My barn is now heated (when I moved about a year and a half ago) so no more freezing and riding like a marshmellow with parkas. This vest is nice enough to use in clinics (which I did) and I ended up getting it in two colors. Probably not super durable but I wash it carefully

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:29 am

Electric mattress pad. So so much better than an electric blanket. And when I'm warm, I sleep better.
And yes, I have flannel sheets, and a down comforter and a silk comforter. But something about having heat radiate up is oh so luxurious.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:04 pm

I love my electric mattress pad! It allow the bed to be pre-warmed so when you jump in it isn't that clammy cold feeling, Usually I turned it off then, but on the coldest nights leaving it at aa very low setting was perfect.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:25 pm

yeah! I use one too. helps my fibro.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:24 pm

I have a heck of a time opening plastic packages, my hands or fingers just don't seem strong enough, I bought a Worx Zip Snip.

I love this little tool!

I used it from cutting Christmas wrapping paper too, really faster than scissors. I also bought one for my sister who sews a lot and she said she used it on some fabric and really liked it

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:29 pm

for folks with arthritis or other hand impairments

BRIX Jar Key

this handy item is like a giant old style pop bottle opener. What it does is crack the vacuum seal which is what usually makes jars so hard to twist open.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:44 am

acheyarcher wrote:for folks with arthritis or other hand impairments

BRIX Jar Key

this handy item is like a giant old style pop bottle opener. What it does is crack the vacuum seal which is what usually makes jars so hard to twist open.

Oh I need this! I have very small hands and usually can't get a good enough grip around a jar lid to open.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:37 am

I bought a water pick a few weeks ago because I hate flossing. It is so much better, but last weekend I realized that it's really just a tiny pressure washer and is great for blasting dirt out of small spots. Among other things, I used it to clean a rhinestone browband.
Keep calm and canter on.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:07 am

blob wrote:
acheyarcher wrote:for folks with arthritis or other hand impairments

BRIX Jar Key

Oh I need this! I have very small hands and usually can't get a good enough grip around a jar lid to open.

It makes it so much easier. Just hook on the side and lift to break the pressure seal. Small hand ( or BIG jars) might still be challenged, but this is step one. I also sometimes use a rubber disc which helps grip the lid from the side without so much need to span across it.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:22 pm

The BrIX looks really useful.

I also struggle with containers that you have to push down and turn, even using a rubber grippy doesn't help me!

My dad has a small tool to open small bottles with the push down and turn safety feature, but I haven't found a big one for gardening bottles, fly sprays etc

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:14 pm

Bluetooth earmuffs! I think they were $99 Aus, but I have a fair bit of mowing to do around here on the ride-on, so I listen to podcasts on my phone. I used to try earbuds under the earmuffs but it would really hurt my ears after a time. The earmuffs are great.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:51 pm

StraightForward wrote:I bought a water pick a few weeks ago because I hate flossing. It is so much better, but last weekend I realized that it's really just a tiny pressure washer and is great for blasting dirt out of small spots. Among other things, I used it to clean a rhinestone browband.

This is the best repurposement of a very specific tool that I have heard about recently. Gold star for ingenuity!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”