So, how's the vaccination schedule going in your state?

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

So, how's the vaccination schedule going in your state?

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:48 pm

Utah finally appears to be getting things together somewhat--our new governor has made it something of a priority and seems to be chasing down better supplies and making an effort to get them into people's arms.

My 80 year old husband will get his first dose on Friday, thank the stars. I'm still quite a way down the list.

The priorities have been strange and special interest groups have managed to insert themselves into the front of the line quite effectively. I board with a couple of ski patrollers and two small animal vets--all in their 30's, who have now all had their second doses. And one of my other fellow boarders who is the "caregiver for her elderly mother" (who is younger than my husband) managed to get hers by going in and browbeating the receptionist at the clinic. (Yes, it has rather changed my view of her.) It's a bit odd that I'm the oldest person in the barn by quite a long shot, and the only one who hasn't been vaccinated! (And one of them absolutely refuses to wear a mask in the barn "because it gives her acne and she's read somewhere that she can't pass it on now she's vaccinated." I'm personally quite happy masked up, not breathing in barn dust and shedding horsehair.)

heddylamar

Re: So, how's the vaccination schedule going in your state?

Postby heddylamar » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:12 pm

Friends in medical fields have been vaccinated at least once ... not sure anyone local has gotten two. Or, at least, not that I know about.

DH is essential personnel, so he should getting vaccinated in phase 2. He works from home as much as possible ... but he's still onsite for several hours a day. When he's vaccinated, my potential exposure will be drastically reduced. Even with severe asthma, I'm at the back of the bus since I'm young and otherwise healthy. Fortunately, I work from home, and other than the barn (where there are 4 boarders + BO, and we rarely overlap), I space everything out and plan appointments/in-person grocery store on the same 6 week schedule as the farrier.

Needless to say, we're double masking.

I did go backpacking on the AT with a girlfriend last fall, and we have several trips planned for this spring. We drive separately, mask + windows open to drop off a car, and have single person tents. She and her spouse also WFH full time, and have everything delivered.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:27 pm

So many health professionals here locally refused the vaccine that they opened up to the second tier which was 65 and older. My mom and my in laws all got the first dose. Due at the end of the month for second dose. It takes skills of phone searching and on line operation to set up appointments. A friend was able to get my mom’s and I got my in laws scheduled. None had any issues.

It seems like more doses are being distributed now with more places like Walmart and cvs scheduling for them.

I’m way down on the list No idea when I will get mine

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:02 pm

Yeah, I have younger friends who've been vaccinated, but not my 90 year old mom!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:59 pm

I am getting my second vaccination tomorrow, but I am actually working in health care and have a comorbidity.

its really difficult to get on the list when ever vaccines become available they are snapped up rapidly

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:24 am

Northern California area. Berkeley to be specific. Things are starting to ramp up here. A couple of mega-sites have opened up and are doing brisk business. The key is being able to navigate the internet sites to get an appointment. I tried to help my brother in San Diego but their system was super f'd up. You had to look at each individual site (maybe 6?) for available appointments and hope that you weren't "outbid" while you were signing up. He finally snagged an appointment by getting up super early in the morning. Our county site at the local racetrack has contracted with a COVID testing company to gain access to their easy to sign up process. And when you first log on, you can immediately tell how many appointments are left for each day. But if you aren't computer savvy or able to upload a photo of your insurance card, then you're sh!t out of luck. You also need to drive there so if you don't drive, again you may be sh!t out of luck. Many of my neighbors are helping the elderly get their appointments. In one week, our county has moved out of 75+ and into the 65+ population. The limiting factor, as everywhere, is vaccine supply. I got my first shot (Moderna) two weeks ago. Back then, California was still allowing under 65s to be vaccinated if they had serious medical conditions. That's no longer the case.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:05 am

Central Texas, DH 75 and myself 67 are scheduled for Moderna on 3/16. We had registered with the county but couldn’t actually get appointments. Then a friend who works for a local doctor was able to get us the appointments. Same county two different registries. Once she got us the appointments we were notified by email and had to re-register. We had to upload pic ID, and Medicare cards. They asked for SS# which I didnt want to give so I called my friend and she said just put N/A. It worked and we were notified with a confirmation for appointments.

My mom in Michigan is 92 and up until Covid was a volunteer at the local hospital. The hospital called her a month ago and told her to come in for a vaccine. She also got Moderna and has already had her second shot.

Even tho we have appointments I’m not totally confidant we’ll get the shots.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:48 am

One of the local hospitals contacted me via email and had us on a list. They emailed when they started offering vaccinations for 65+ but we would have had to go to the hospital in Nampa (15 miles away. Main hospital is 1 mile from my house). I signed up myself (65) and my Mom(91). They called the night before our appointments and viola...no more vaccine and what they expected to arrive never showed. We haven't ever heard from them again (2 weeks now). I wasn't surprised at that outcome but I still don't understand why you book more appointments than you have vaccine for? My BFF was scouring the internet a couple days later and the second time she checked the Fred Meyer site, they were offering the vaccine. A week before the other retail pharmacies (CVS, Walgreens, etc) were supposed to get theirs. She booked hers and texted me pronto and I was able to sign us both up. We got our 1st Moderna vaccine last Thursday (Mom) and Friday (me). My sister was able to get hers through FM also but my BFF's sister was not able to get an appointment. We are already scheduled for the booster.

Most people are spending hours and hours trying to get in somewhere. Then there is all the poor older people that don't have a computer or internet access...spending hours on the phone :( .

Idaho doesn't seem to be very organized and we really aren't getting as much vaccine as we should get. Apparently, our state has a bigger population of young people so they aren't sending us as much. Sucks to be us, I guess.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:28 pm

My area is actually one of the leaders in the country in effective distribution, which makes me very proud that they have been able to organize it so well.

Right now the vaccines are open to health professionals, frontline workers, 65+ and then people with serious medical conditions.

The people I know that have gotten it said the distribution lines here are incredibly well organized, they are using multiple community buildings, and have organized lines and the wait is somewhere between 20 minutes to a few hours, depending on when you go.

I have heard that there are now people coming from as far as 8+ hours away to get the shots here because our area is so effective in distribution, and I'm not quite sure how to feel about that....like, obviously they need it and we can provide it, so it's OK, but part of me kinda wishes the vaccines meant for our area were being used by folks here that also need it.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:34 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:O
Idaho doesn't seem to be very organized and we really aren't getting as much vaccine as we should get. Apparently, our state has a bigger population of young people so they aren't sending us as much. Sucks to be us, I guess.

Susan

Well, we have a field class scheduled to teach in Reno in April and the same in Pocatello in May. Why they won't just pull the plug on the already I don't know (the March Tucson class was canceled in January), but yesterday I thought I'd look at Nevada's progress. They are leaving it up to each county, and there is just no way to tell what is going on there. It seems they are mostly only open to 75+ in Washoe County, but couldn't tell how many people they've covered. At least Idaho seems more transparent on the organization and reporting side. :?

I am just sitting back and waiting since I fully expect it to be well into summer before I'm eligible as a healthy middle-aged person who can work from home.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:09 pm

I just received my second vaccine today since I'm considered essential and part of the phase 1 b priority group. My mom who is 83 received her 2nd vaccine last Saturday. She received the Moderna and I received the Pfizer. It seems to be working relatively well in the Phoenix area.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:00 pm

We're on the waiting list in WA state and so far it's living up to it's name......We're 1B (over 65). I was watching a news story the other night about signing up for vaccines (mentioning many of the same problems as noted above). It was rather striking how it matched up with voting rights issues.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:05 am

My dad has gotten his but he had a very hard time getting it despite being an immunologist who is working directly with the virus and being over 70 (our state is supposed to be open to anyone 65 and older).

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:48 am

Colorado seems to be doing a reasonable job on the vaccination front, given the limited amount that has been available. DH received his second shot today and was pleased both times with the organization at the county health site -in and out in 20 minutes, including the 15-minute post-injection wait. He signed up online as soon as slots for the 70+ age group opened up and received his appointment time soon after. I am in the 65+ age group and signed up this week as soon as the county started accepting info. But I won’t get an appointment for a while, as 70+ and health care workers are still the priority. I will also be checking with local pharmacies because they are supposed to be receiving doses soon. Based on comments in the local paper: very favorable opinion of process if you are tech savvy or have help in this area, and great disgust otherwise.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:22 am

Check with your local pharmacies to see if they have vaccine available now. I just made an appointment for tomorrow at Walgreens, with another appointment scheduled in 4 weeks. Yipee!

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:00 pm

Koolkat my sister is in your group and lives in Snohomish county. She has received her her first vaccine. You may need to go to a different county if your inventory is low. Check in with all the usual pharmacies.

SInce I retired last month and am 63 1/2, I am in the lowest tier instead of 1b essential worker.

I hope with the Feds buying and distributing more vaccine, our supply should catch up. HOping the logistics do the same

The foodbank I work at has a drive thru testing site which could be used as a drive thru vaccine site.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:53 pm

It's Illinois, so it's a total cluster youknowwhat. I'm getting my first vaccine on Wednesday at the hospital where I work.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:14 pm

DH got his first one this morning... happy dance!

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:41 pm

acheyarcher wrote:Koolkat my sister is in your group and lives in Snohomish county. She has received her her first vaccine. You may need to go to a different county if your inventory is low. Check in with all the usual pharmacies.

SInce I retired last month and am 63 1/2, I am in the lowest tier instead of 1b essential worker.

I hope with the Feds buying and distributing more vaccine, our supply should catch up. HOping the logistics do the same

The foodbank I work at has a drive thru testing site which could be used as a drive thru vaccine site.

Thanks for that AA. We signed up with our healthcare provider and I don't have high expectations of a speedy delivery as I'm sure a gazillion others have signed up also. I do have a link to a site which tells you where vaccinations are available which is updated frequently. Last night there was one in Wenatchee and one in Kennewick. We're monitoring that and watching the snow pile up!

https://www.covidwa.com/?fbclid=IwAR22i ... zkehtoKj60

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:53 am

I signed up on the state web site for signaling when the tiers move. I get regular e mail alerts from my doctors medical group and they are going though the registered patients, I expect I will be contacted when they can get to that level. I suspect , sort of being at the Safeway late in the evening when the time stamp starts running out on the thawed vaccine, I will have to wait until April or May

m I am glad my sister is getting hers. She has put of getting her cataract surgery and she says she notes that she really needs. it. I have tried to convince her it would be safe to get the procedure done since it would not be done in a conventional hospital.

I am glad the supply is getting into central, south central WA the communities there are underserved and at higher risk with all the ag workers and their living conditions

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:06 pm

Got my first shot yesterday. Moderna. My arm ached but no other side effects.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:06 pm

I volunteered at our local Health Dept Friday. First time, just organized folks into one of two lines; Pfizer or Moderna. However, it was Teacher Day with our local teachers getting their second doses, and since I retired six or seven years ago, it was a BLAST seeing friends and some colleagues I'd not seen in years!
I'm only 62, so not had my shot yet. Clinic staff told me we have a big clinic coming in a month with plans to do 800 people in one day (county population of 28,000) and the National Guard coming in to help. Can't wait!
Wonder if they think by then the target group will be 60+? I hope so.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:37 pm

2nd shot of Moderna yesterday. Only symptom has been a very very very sore arm. After a fitful night's sleep, I took tylenol and the pain is now reasonable. DH also got his second shot and had fevers, chills, and delirium during the night. Next day he was fine.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:15 am

My 82Yo mum got her first Moderna vaccine on Saturday. I had a heck of a time getting her an appointment. She had a few hours of nausea and vomiting but was fine the next day.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:34 pm

My mom got her second Moderns vaccine today. Had no issues with the first one. My in laws got their second this week as well. No problems.

Wrangling appointments required perseverance and patience

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:45 pm

Quit waiting for our healthcare providers to let us know what was going on after signing up and got on-line and did our own hunting. Viola! We're both scheduled for next week through RiteAid!

DH said he's never been so excited to get a shot, LOL.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:23 am

Got my first Phizer vaccine today. The local conservatives here are not wanting to get the vaccine so there are doses available and since I care for my mom full time they took that as ok to go ahead and administer the vaccine.

Well run site. Scheduled the vaccine same day I got it. Much easier than when scheduling for my mom and in laws through Kroger.
I got the feeling you could drive up without an appointment and get vaccinated.

My sister’s BFF is a nurse locally and was telling of many medical professionals that were refusing to get vaccinated. She was furious that they were refusing the covid vaccine. Just too many idiot conservatives who are buying into the scare tactics of conservative media. Pfft

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:44 pm

Well, I am and am surrounded by a household of idiot conservatives. We're all fully vaccinated, both doses, with the exception of my son who doesn't fit into any of the prioritized categories.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:06 pm

Exvet not here. Georgia is full of anti maskers it’s a hoax I don’t want to be a guinea pig and the numbers are over blown that 500,000 have not died from covid. Sigh my sil is one of them and her beliefs have caused a rift in the family. In no way do I disparage conservative thinking what I do find major fault is with the multitude of conspiracy believers that are conservative usually Trump supporters. From Bill Gates has a chip in the vaccine to Fauci has conflict of interest re the vaccine to hospitals are noting covid deaths more frequently because they get paid 30,000 I think was the figure I saw. Those are the idiots I’m talking about. We have way too many of these that think this locally.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:49 pm

Still trying to get my 89 y.o. mom on a list. She wants to receive the vaccine. I registered her at a hospital an hour away. I offered to put her on several more waiting lists throughout the area, but she refuses--does not want to undertake anything that requires more than one thought process at a time. So, we wait.

I can't keep up with who is in what category anymore for vaccination priority, but since I'm not yet 65 and have no underlying medical issues I'll just wait till probably September or so before getting my shot at the shot. DH is 70 but, for whatever reason, is on the fence about whether he will get the vaccine.....

Our state Nutjob-In-Chief has now removed the mask-wearing mandate, effective next week. Floodgates will be open, but there are still those of us who will continue to wear our masks for the foreseeable future.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:14 pm

The second most exciting thing to happen to me this week--I got a CDC email out of the blue a few minutes ago asking me to schedule an appointment. And I have one tomorrow!

I feel almost guilty when people like your mother are struggling to get one, texsure. It's a screwed up system to be sure.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:09 pm

Slow in Maryland. I know many over 65, heck over 75 who are struggling to get appointments. DH got his, work related a few weeks ago and is not looking forward to the second one. He had a terribly sore arm and was sick for a day or so with the first Moderna shot. And "they" say that's the easy one. I'm hoping I can get the Pfizer one when my number comes up. I should be in the next group they open but they are so behind.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:17 am

My 80s+ parents are challenged to get a vaccine in Pennsylvania. Lots of waitlists. These are not people who should drive 100 miles through snow to get a shot. They need a vaccine yenta (TBD)!

In Tennessee, I see that the first county in our state is offering vaccine to people like me: immunocompromised. But that county is a 7 hour drive from me. It is a process for sure. I am very fortunate to be able to work remotely and continue on with public health practices in the mean time.

BUT--Even with a vaccine, I will absolutely continue masking and social distancing. My DH will probably not be able to get a vaccine until much later, unless our work (government-related) steps up. All of this is not instant...nor is it permanent! We will all need a long term strategy (and vaccine) too.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:18 am

p.s. Do not feel guilty when offered a vaccine. Just get it done! Frankly, that is what is needed in this moment of challenge.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:10 am

Our local hospital conglomerate is begging people to get their vaccines. They are being very lax on determination of eligibility because of this. All of my family that can get vaccinated are going to. My niece is breastfeeding so cannot and our youngest family member is only just a month old so she cannot. My niece’s husband is going to though.

Again too many locals here are refusing the vaccine. Atlanta just 1 1/2 hours away there are nurses that cannot schedule theirs.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:54 pm

piedmontfields wrote:p.s. Do not feel guilty when offered a vaccine. Just get it done! Frankly, that is what is needed in this moment of challenge.

For sure. It's not just about getting ill, it's also about breaking up "chains of transmission" and also the race to eliminate potential for more deadly mutations. Everyone who is vaccinated contributes to these 2 issues.

Benatus
Greenie

Postby Benatus » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:20 pm

I was able to get my first in January and 2nd Feb 12
I called my clinic eow and politely asked how the news was.
They got me in bc I am inna mixed gen household.

The gov held some vax back later in our county bc of lack of enough seniors and the need to get it elsewhere.

In a few months I will be going partially back to work....but to be honest Good riding weather is coming and I don’t want to be stuck in an office!!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”