My horse is too smart for my own good and peace of mind!

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

My horse is too smart for my own good and peace of mind!

Postby khall » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:54 pm

Rip learned to dive through the tape I have that separates his and Joplin’s field from the hay field. I though it might not be hot and he was just climbing through it so I made sure today that it was electric then turned him and Joplin out. He trotted up and down the fence like he was checking it out and I thought good he realizes it’s hot. Nope he swings out and heads straight for the fence diving under the top tape and trotting over the bottom two inch tape. Damn him. Joplin bless her was calmly eating her hay watching his shenanigans. So I’ve had to switch fields where the flex rail completely encloses the pasture with no tempting hay next door. Sigh. Just hope he does not decide to start jumping fences

Moutaineer

Re: My horse is too smart for my own good and peace of mind!

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:23 am

My pony used to count the beats from the fence charger and nip through between them. Little stinker. Electric goat fence settled his hash.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:05 pm

The world of Welsh and Morgans are full of houdinis. We are constantly being challenged to find new ways to prevent access to uninvited places, like my next door neighbor's place. Fortunately none of my guys are too interested in the efforts of jumping a fence. That distinction and talent was left to my mares. Now that I don't have any of my broodmares, we're fortunately not sweating that issue. Welsh Cob and Morgan-proof latches, hooks, etc are more our need ;) Got to love the industrious, NOT!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:34 pm

Back when I first moved in with my husband and still had a barb wire fence with a gate that was latched by looping a strand of barbwire over a post, I kept "accusing" my FIL (who lived next door) of forgetting to latch the gate properly. Nope, Scotty was actually lifting that loop off and laying the gate down. Fortunately, none of the others wanted to leave, so Scotty would go for a gallop in the neighboring fields (like 12 acres isn't enough room for a good gallop?) and then return to our pasture. I finally caught him at it :twisted: He was a genius with real gate and stall latches too, made him really popular when I boarded him :lol:

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:37 pm

At out new place there was a Halflinger in the pasture with the herd, which is huge. He got out three times one day because I guess he discovered that his sheet was protecting him from the shock. He is now living somewhere else with solid fencing. :)

khall

Postby khall » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:13 pm

Yes too many bad ponies!! Tanga Juliet figured that out too. Blanket will insulate you from the shock. We had to put taller T posts up so she could not lean over catching the blanket. Most of my fencing is flex rail ( though even with that Rip and Gaila stick their heads through to graze) I have some cross fencing that is 2 inch hot tape for various reasons which has been the problem and what Rip decided was not aversive enough to keep him out of the hay field. I’ve had some that you could stall with just a rope across the doorway not any I have now!!

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:31 pm

A few weeks ago I was working with my baby in the paddock, when I saw my mare, who had been watching us, cheerfully attempting to learn how to operate her gate latch. The latch pulls up and slides over to open, but does have a snap "lock". At the time it wasn't locked, and she was lipping the latch to pull it up and open it -- just about to unlock it. I reeeeaaaal casually walked over to say hello and snapped it so it was locked because she is a super, super smart mare and one time of success she'd be a holy terror at unlocking everything.

And that's the story of how I now triple check all the gates every day in the hopes said mare will not become an educated monster. lol

khall

Postby khall » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:33 pm

Yes educated monsters is right! Rip hates to wear a grazing muzzle. Hates it. I had one field that I would put him in and he found the one place in that field where he could pop it off employing the velcro safety system. The gate had bolts the went through the posts and had blunt end sticking out. Not where it would catch any horses but Rip found it and would use it regularly to remove the muzzle. Smh. We ended up cutting the bolts flush to the nuts to not leave enough to use. He then moved to the water trough lip. I gave up keeping a muzzle on him.

If he used his powers for good he would be a brilliant riding horse. Unfortunately his nature is to challenge you on just about everything. Though I did get some brilliant SW at liberty the other day. He loves SW.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:29 pm

Walker can open just about anything. I have told every barn owner this over the years. They all think I am a meanie and he's sweet and innocent and misunderstood until he let's himself out of his stall and trashes the place, or opens the gate into another pasture and terrorizes its occupants and threatens to kick their head off when they try to intervene.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:23 pm

My old pony was an escape artist. He would lift gates off their hinges, or climb them. It got so bad we finally electrified the pasture gate.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”