San Antonio

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

San Antonio

Postby heddylamar » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:15 pm

Is there anyone in the San Antonio area? We'll likely be relocating in 2022, and since it's only a short stop, I'd prefer to board. Any suggestions on facilities? I'll happily board at a dressage or eventing facility. Less interested in a hunter/jumper barn, because they seem to attract lesson programs, and my older mare needs a quiet place.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Re: San Antonio

Postby texsuze » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:46 pm

I'm about an hour NW of San Antonio. My oldster is here on our ranch, but you might start your barn search by contacting Alamo Dressage Association. https://www.alamodressage.org Their members are scattered around the Central Texas area, including as far NW as Boerne (pronounced "BURN-e" !) so they should have a good idea of boarding facilities that might suit your mare. You can also Google "dressage barns near San Antonio, TX" to get some idea of locations. Will you want/need to work with a dressage trainer or will this just be your mare's new home in TX?

During the year my barn was being built I boarded at Liberty Hill Farm, close to Boerne. A bit of a commute for me (was not the first place I landed, long story), but they have a covered arena, decent pasture turnout and a few dry lots. Tiny tack room, restroom, wash racks, a little bit of open space to hack around in. I think they still host dressage shows there, but otherwise was not really busy or crowded, although that was several years ago. If you need more info, PM me and I can give my observations.

Will y'all (you'll need to start staying y'all!) be living within San Antonio city limits or are you still figuring out a location? Again, PM me if you need some info or questions about this part of TX, and hopefully I can at least provide a little bit of help. We lived in Towson, MD for four years; beautiful state, great restaurants in Baltimore. We have many friends from those years we still keep in touch with.

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:48 pm

Thanks, texsuze! I hadn't found Alamo Dressage yet. That gave me a very good possibility in Boerne. Central Texas eventing seems to have disappeared from the internet ... I did find a thread on eventers elsewhere, but no real stand-out boarding opportunities.

As for housing, not having really looked in person (just "where's DH's client" + Whole Foods + coworker who's relocating too ;)), we'll probably end up in the triangle formed by McAllister Park, Castle Hills, and Shavano Park. There are a bunch of cute untouched MCM homes in the Castle Hills/McAllister Park area ... Or downtown ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Or we'll rent a farm :lol:

DH has agreed that first step is finding housing for the mares. Maia is fairly simple, but she does require her grain to be soaked, every meal. OTOH, Anzia is a neurotic, anxious, sweet princess who requires quiet and calm. Lots of activity, kids, etc really upset her equilibrium and she ends up back on ulcer meds. If I don't find a place to board both of them, I'll likely ship Anz off to my mom, who has a quiet 20+ acres and two geldings. I'd miss her :|

DH will be making quite a few trips over the next year, so I'll tag along and scope out barns.

After many years in GA and NC, and regular forays to KY and TN, I'm very familiar with the usage of y'all v. all y'all v. y'alls :lol:

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:14 pm

A few years back I met two other DBB folks for dinner in San Antonio. Fallingwaters, when she was in the area, and, I believe, Flyinglilly, who (again my memory splutters) had recently relocated to SA. If you can track down Flyinglilly she might give some insight on her relo and horse situation.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:01 pm

Saw your recent post in the Obs Lounge where you mentioned needing to find vet, dentist, farrier, etc. when you make the move to S.A. If you'd like, I have recommendations for equine vet, equine dentist and equine ophthalmologist. Many vets around here work with farriers so that might be a way to find a farrier, plus, your (future) barn buddies can make suggestions. Also have names of equine clinics in the immediate S.A. area that I haven't used, but you might could ask members of local dressage clubs, etc. to get their opinions.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”