IRS property auctions--any experience?

texsuze
500 post plus club

IRS property auctions--any experience?

Postby texsuze » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:38 pm

The IRS is conducting an auction at our county courthouse next month; four different undeveloped lots in a nearby ranch subdivision all owned by the same estate (between 6 & 7 acres each). I guess it's about unpaid taxes or something. My brother and SIL have a lot in the same subdivision and some day plan to build a home and retire there. DH and I are pondering bidding on one of the properties. I'm just thinking way down the line about 'right-sizing' our living scenario since we're rapidly aging our way to a potentially smaller acreage. Well, that's my thought process anyway ;)

We've never participated in an IRS auction, having only read the public notice info. Anyone have experience or pointers on the process? There is a minimum bid on each lot and proof of ability to bid is required in the form of 20% of the minimum bid amount.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: IRS property auctions--any experience?

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:24 pm

I know nothing about IRS auctions. I will note that many other auctions are now online, so it is more like "eBay" bidding where one sets a max price/increments for re-bids. Don't know if that is the case here.

Good luck!

texsuze
500 post plus club

Re: IRS property auctions--any experience?

Postby texsuze » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:00 pm

Thanks, Pied, this auction takes place at our county courthouse. I wish it were a sealed-bid auction but I'm guessing they'll get one of the local livestock auctioneers (we have plenty out here ;) ) to handle the task. DH happens to be lunching with our CPA today, who worked for years in the IRS, so hopefully CPA can shed some light on the logistics.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”