So I did a thing yesterday

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

So I did a thing yesterday

Postby khall » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:22 pm

I’ve fostered many dogs over the years but had to stop when I had to step in dealing with my parents. We lost Dad in 2020 and my mother now lives on the farm with us. I’ve been missing helping dogs and this guy showed up on my FB feed needing housing. He’s a gorgeous red tick coon hound

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... 27988/?d=n

Meet Henry.

heddylamar

Re: So I did a thing yesterday

Postby heddylamar » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:48 pm

Awww. What a handsome fellow!

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:15 am

Henry is a handsome boy! Hope you have many happy years together.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:28 am

Gorgeous boy Henry! I'm sure he'll love being at your place.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:43 am

Oh he's stunning!! I hope you get the chance to do some nose work with him. Eons ago my friend rescued a black and tank coonhound and we had great fun tracking each other through the country. Never could shake the dog.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:03 am

Oh my gosh.....he is exactly what my son wants. As one who is getting back into shelter medicine....good on you and thank you!

khall

Postby khall » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:08 pm

Thanks guys! It’s been since 2018 that I have fostered. I did for many years from puppies to adults with heart worms and all the treatment that goes with that. Here in the SE there is a glut of unwanted pets. I can’t tell you how many I’ve picked up over the years and either vetted them and found them homes or kept them. The two I lost this year Gracie and Hank were both road finds as is my pittie girl we still have.

VBO Henry is a foster I have not adopted him. We have two of our own here on the farm but I love fostering dogs and have for actual rescues now for many years until 2018. I give them a safe place to hang. Do training since most have very little and just love helping these guys out. There is such a need.

A little more about Henry. I have many friends on FB that are in the rescue world and one of them shared Henry ( btw I named him) on their page. A family found him in the woods and were feeding him but he had no shelter and they had no place to keep him. Most local rescues are chock full and our weather was turning nasty with cold rain for two days. I have empty stalls in my barn and I just could not stand the thought of him out in the elements so I volunteered to house him for at least 10 days to see if they could find his owner. The county he was found in is about an hour from me. They euthanize every unclaimed dog that comes through not allowing any rescues to pull anything. This family could not stand the thought of turning this lovely dog over to them. So here he is! My vet thinks he’s about 3.

Now the bad. He’s lame left hind. Probably why he was dumped and it’s been long enough to cause atrophy in the muscle. He at the least has a torn cl may have more damage but needs radiographs before more is known. He started the vetting yesterday and thank god heart worm - right now. Will need follow up in 6 months. He has been vaccinated and wormed. We’ve got him on previcox for pain. He needs to gain 10 lbs. he’s pretty thin. He has no rescue commitment at this time. After the 10 days we will need to vet him more thoroughly with that leg and a neuter. No telling what it will cost to fix him if he’s fixable. We will be fundraising to address this if his owner is not found. I’m pretty sure he was dumped because of this injury. He’s a stunning dog and a real lover but high energy hunting dog. Good with my pit but a bit obnoxious in an intact male way.

We will look into breed specific and coon hound rescues and thank goodness I have people who can help. It is not uncommon for hunters to dump their used up hunting dogs here in the south.

Right now he is safe and being cared for and we will do right by him. Sometimes it takes a village to help these guys.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:12 pm

Not to hijack this thread, but 6 days ago we took on a dog from a foster mom whose family situation became such that she could no longer take care of the youngster. Intact male yellow lab mix, large-ish, likely <2 years old, minimal command training, lacking any leash training, somewhat boisterous, wandering foster mom's neighborhood for weeks. Sweet dog, willing student, happy.

Bentley is scheduled for neuter, vaccs, heartworm check, deworm, microchip, full court press on Monday.....:)

It has been 10 years since our wonderful, awesome lab mix went to the Rainbow Bridge, so not sure I'm really prepared for pupdom again, despite being the one who pursued bringing him home. DH does not want to consider us a foster home--he maintains that if we put in the $$$ and work with Bentley then he should stay with us. My main concern is any separation anxiety and Bentley's ability to remain in our 2 acre fenced (6' mesh) yard when we're away.

Good luck with your Henry!

khall

Postby khall » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:04 am

Bless you texsuze! It’s always interesting taking on these unwanted dogs. Lack of training and basic vet care makes them even more unwanted. Good luck with Bentley! I’ve started impulse control work with Henry. Definitely going to require all of my patience and persistence with this coon hound!!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:53 pm

Lucky hound! Yes, quite possible he was dumped because he was injured. Some people are terrible like that with hunting dogs.

Do note that he not particularly underweight at all (and he doesn't need to be heavy to heal from that injury).

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:27 pm

Love those soft, sweet ears on the hounds!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:00 pm

What a nice thing you did

khall

Postby khall » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:09 am

Just to show what a stunning dog Henry is

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... 46527/?d=n

Having a little issue with his paperwork. The people who found him were unaware that they had to take him to AC for them to scan and take pictures and sign to take ownership of him after 10 day stray hold. So I’m taking him Thursday to meet them at AC so the shelter can do the necessary. If they give me a hard time about fostering Henry I may need bail money:). Rumors are in the county that they sell dogs on the side to hog hunters that are not claimed. It’s a really bad shelter with no oversight from the county government because no one cares.

I did find out they do allow one local humane society to pull from there. No guarantee that Henry would be pulled though. Ugh rural Georgia just sucks.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:22 pm

Wow, he is handsome. Sorry to learn that things haven't gotten better in rural Georgia. I still have a friend in ACO (higher up the chain) in Fulton county but if it's as it is in most states, I realize that it likely wouldn't help. We too have challenges with nefarious happenings and the dog on hog underground in Arizona. Rednecks.....they ain't just in the Southeast. Wish you weren't on the other side of the country. My son's face lit up when he saw Henry's picture.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:51 pm

Exvet we can arrange transport:).

Most shelters local to me have really changed their policies. They bend over backwards for the animals from adoptions to working with many rescues. Now some counties don’t even have AC. The county I live in just this year has built a facility. I know further south the AC’s can be as bad if not worse than the county Henry was found. Yeah Fulton is north Atlanta I’m in middle Georgia just south of Macon. From the texts from the finders of Henry it sounds like AC is wanting to throw around their weight. I’m hoping it settles and I don’t have to go. Supposed to be nasty nasty storms tomorrow and I’d rather not be on the road.

Anyway I just wanted to share the picture of this stunning dog. He’s coming around manner wise with the consistent enforcement of rules. He’s not a bad dog just no manners or understanding of how to be a pet. Zoey though is teaching him how to play. They had a rowdy session this morning out in my paddock I use for the dogs. I think with some work he will make a family a lovely pet. The only question I have is cats. I wanted to work with him some before introducing my barn cat to him. He is interested in seeing the horses but not aggressive about them.

I had one I did not take off the 30 ft line for months because he had such a predatory look with the horses and was athletic enough to jump my 4’ 6” fence.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:15 pm

So good you are doing this. I fostered dogs for a long time, which is how I ended up with a Beagle. I stopped when they rescue started shipping dogs in from Taiwan.

We had to make the decision to put Tanga down a few weeks back, and I think I waited too long. I have been thinking, and today we are taking action. There are some bad shelters in CA, high kill, full of dogs. We're taking a two hour drive to a valley shelter with 125 dogs (!) with the dog we have left (who we got as an older dog from the shelter who no one wanted) and see if we can find him his new companion, a dog that suits him, and that may not have a chance otherwise. It feels like the right thing to do.

I am not getting a hound or a Beagle, though. I did my 17 years with a Beagle and am not doing the hound howling or wandering again.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:53 pm

We had a Blue Tick hound mix. Clark. He was an amazing tracker....though we didn't find out until later in his life.
He was an amazing pet. It was a very sad day when we lost him.

For the record, Tanga, he only howled once that we ever heard.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:02 pm

Awe bless you Tanga! Please come back and post pictures when you find your new family member! It’s so hard because our pets have such short lives compared to ours. We’ve put down 4 since 2018. Damn it hurts.

Was just down visiting with my mom and her dog Ellie. After we put Hank down we went on a search (short lived!) for a new dog for mom. It had to be a very special dog for my 85 year old tiny mom and luckily we found one! A good friend had pulled a cattle dog of all things from a South Georgia shelter. She’s 2/3 35 lbs of complete sweetness. Going from probably never being in a house to completely house broken and safe to leave loose and calm enough for my mom. I never normally would have chosen a cattle dog who usually need a job in order to be good citizens. I say someone forgot to tell Ellie she’s a working dog! She’s completely happy living in mom’s 1100 sq ft apartment with her small yard. Won’t even have a romp with my pittie girl. She’s too much of a school marm:)

Ellie as she usually appears

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 590&type=3

I hear you on the howling Tanga!! Henry loves to sing for any old reason. He will howl at me when I’m working with him out of frustration in not getting his way. Too funny.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:18 am

Well, we did it. The shelter was heartbreaking. 125 dogs. They were so full all of the dogs were in half kennels, 3 by 4', with the little dogs 4-6 to a kennel. We went looking for an older female for our older dog, Kash. The females we looked at growled at Kash. We ended up with this guy who they say is 2-3 and grown (I'm thinking more like 1-2 not grown now) male unneutered dog. (Pretty much all were unneutered.) He made zero aggressive moves even when Kash acted like a grumpy old man, and Kash eventually tried to play with him.

To make Kash feel superior on the 2 hour drive home, he sat in the front seat and I sat in the back with this guy, who I had to squish into the car, and then he promptly crawled into my lap (he is not lap dog sized) and we spent the trip playing smooshy face. He promptly peed on the wall when we got home, so potty training is in order, as is all training, as he seems to know nothing, but he learns fast and has the fastest, wiggliest attitude.

Did a quick video as I caught Kash playing with wiggle worm (who is tied because of the peeing.) What a wiggly response. And he's a talker.
https://youtu.be/QJJPHsRQ3Xo

All name suggestions appreciated. I'll try to get better pictures when he finally tires out to get those eyes and the smushy face quality.
Attachments
IMG_7378 (1).jpg
IMG_7378 (1).jpg (96.4 KiB) Viewed 13587 times
IMG_7375 (1).jpg
IMG_7375 (1).jpg (73.79 KiB) Viewed 13587 times

khall

Postby khall » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:15 am

Tanga he’s adorable!! I love him flopped over on his back! Congratulations!!!

Shelters are so hard to visit. I want to bring them all home.

As for names I tend to name mine human names. It’s just one of those quirks I have. Prefer two syllable but not always.

He looks like a Brando :)

demi

Postby demi » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:35 am

This is a great thread! Bless you Khall and tanga and all of us that rescue dogs (and horses)!

demi

Postby demi » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:43 am

How about Waylon? Kash and Waylon!

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:38 am

Wow Tanga, your new boy could be Kash's little brother! Maybe he's a Wallace, or Cade? He's gorgeous.

And good luck Khall with Henry's paperwork.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:37 pm

khall wrote:Exvet we can arrange transport:).

Most shelters local to me have really changed their policies. They bend over backwards for the animals from adoptions to working with many rescues. Now some counties don’t even have AC. The county I live in just this year has built a facility. I know further south the AC’s can be as bad if not worse than the county Henry was found. Yeah Fulton is north Atlanta I’m in middle Georgia just south of Macon. From the texts from the finders of Henry it sounds like AC is wanting to throw around their weight. I’m hoping it settles and I don’t have to go. Supposed to be nasty nasty storms tomorrow and I’d rather not be on the road.

Anyway I just wanted to share the picture of this stunning dog. He’s coming around manner wise with the consistent enforcement of rules. He’s not a bad dog just no manners or understanding of how to be a pet. Zoey though is teaching him how to play. They had a rowdy session this morning out in my paddock I use for the dogs. I think with some work he will make a family a lovely pet. The only question I have is cats. I wanted to work with him some before introducing my barn cat to him. He is interested in seeing the horses but not aggressive about them.

I had one I did not take off the 30 ft line for months because he had such a predatory look with the horses and was athletic enough to jump my 4’ 6” fence.

I'm seeing my son tomorrow. I wouldn't rule out the possibility. He has one 110 lb lab who's just shy of two and needs a buddy. He gets along great with my Spanish water dogs. They have no cats and no horses yet (though I gave my daughter-in-law a saddle for her bridal shower and Christmas brought her a grooming kit, loads of horse care books, an IOU for a specified number of riding lessons, a phone carrier for trail riding, etc......so she's well on her way LOL). They rent one of my horse properties which has the back yard completely fenced and separate from the horse facilities. Sounds like it could be a win-win. I would need to better understand the extent of Henry's medical problems; but may be able to answer those needs easier than some others ;)

I'm starting to consult for some of the area shelters because of the many budget cuts and changes that have occurred here as well. Plus, I miss shelter medicine and am sort-of, up-to-here with private practice though for my current needs (time for my mother's care) the gig at Banfield still is the 'smartest' option. I can already see that there are some new political twists in some of the rescue/shelter underworld here that I had not anticipated - intriguing, challenging but I'm packing heat, so I think I'll be able to negotiate the shark infested waters LOL. Age and experience definitely carry some well-earned benefits. I can only imagine what's going on over there having lived in North Georgia many years ago and still having those ties. Much has improved overall in the rescue/shelter efforts Nationwide but the needed focus on behavior, training, and education is still light years behind - though at least most agree it's where the focus needs to be shifted from overpopulation (spay/neuter programs will always be needed but it's no longer the greatest need). With the current economic trends, I expect we'll see abandonment, surrenders and neglect cases skyrocket. In my past, I've established two low-cost veterinary clinics that specifically serve the under-served areas/populations needing basic veterinary care in their respective areas. I know this need is going to increase too. I also predict that fosters like you are going to become even more integral to finding the answers needed/required for many of these future cases. So, thank you again for doing this.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:47 pm

Exvet I have some video of Henry moving around if you want to see his lameness. Right now I am in limbo until his stray hold is up. Which I’ve had to start all over again now that he’s been scanned and paperwork done with AC. Just pm your phone if you want or I can upload to YouTube at some point and post them. He is on previcox daily right now but I’ve not seen much change.

One thing the 3 1/2 hour trip showed me is that Henry is good in a crate and rides well in a vehicle.

I’m so proud of him though! He’s learning to be a dog!

Here he is hanging with one of his friends. The first time I’ve seen him just lay down and chill while out in the paddock.

Just because it’s too cute not to share! As you can see my pittie girl Zoey has no issues letting it all hang out!!

His stray hold is up 1/13 because they do not count weekends. I’m enjoying playing with this sweet boy helping him navigate a new way of life. It is so rewarding to be a part of these dogs lives as an interim.

I agree Exvet things have changed for the better in many ways with rescues (though that can be it’s own soap opera drama!) with some being head and shoulders above others in the work they do. We still have such a need for low cost spay and neuter as well as educational outreach. There is just so much misunderstanding and lack of education regarding pets here. Some of it is the culture of yard dogs especially in rural Georgia.

I’ve just learned to do what I can but that I cannot save them all. Henry though is going to have a different life than what he was used to.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:19 am

Henry is now mine to hopefully get into a rescue if I can or find a new home possibly. He’s scheduled for neuter and diagnostics 1-26. I really cannot afford to do surgery if he has a torn cl. Fishing line surgery which is not ideal is $1500 or so tplo or what the newer version of that surgery is even more expensive like over $3,000. I’m not sure what to do. Not much luck with the rescues I’ve reached out to so far so if anyone knows of breed specific or hound rescue please let me know. Zoey my pittie girl would just as soon that I kept him. She adores playing with him. Just right now is not a good time for me to take on a training challenge though I may end up doing so if no rescue or home is found! If so I will explore scent training which he should excel at. A good friend of mine does scent training so she will be a good resource to tap.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:20 pm

I know that my son can't afford an outlay in cash for something like that right now. Let me check with one of our rescues and see if this is something they can help with or if they have any suggestions. Right now there are several fund drives going on for various animals with medical needs in our area. I also have an appointment scheduled for one of my clients with an orthopedic specialist. I will ask him how generous he's feeling currently and if it's something that if I pay for the hardware (I agree that a TPLO or similar procedure would likely be best) and materials if he'd donate the time and expertise.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:19 pm

I appreciate your help Exvet! I’ll know more after diagnostics 1-26

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:15 pm

Sounds like Henry is going to be the perfect pet.

Just love how you ladies have banded together to try and help handsome guy out

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:44 pm

Henry update:)

He went to the vet has been neutered and radiographs. The vet thinks that it’s more the hip causing the lameness than the stifle. There could be a partial tear to the CL but there is radiographic evidence of some hip dysplasia. Which makes sense because with a bit of weight (he’s put on 5 lbs) and all the exercise he is getting I’ve observed him moving much better on that LH. A tear would not get better with movement. So I think I’m going to put him on a good joint supplement and possibly try some adequan with him. See how he does. He had been on previcox for a bit but I had backed off of it to see if he was doing better on that leg.

Poor guy was scared going to the vet but he’s such a sweetie they just loved him there. Now to figure out what to do with him. My in laws are betting I keep him! Lol

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:16 am

That's wonderful news!! Hopefully he just keeps getting better and better <3

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:48 am

That sounds positive Khall, Henry sounds like a total sweetie.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:42 pm

Henry learning how to be a house dog

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... 46667/?d=n

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:27 am

khall wrote:Henry learning how to be a house dog

Looks like he's a quick study!

khall

Postby khall » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:29 pm

More Henry photos:)

I’m not so sure he is going anywhere at this point. I’m amazed at how easily he has transitioned to being a house dog. I still have some feelers out there on rescues but all are so full and these hounds are so much in need not sure I will find any rescue help. That’s ok. After reading some other hound stories I realize how special Henry really is. And somewhat atypical of a hound.

Still trying to figure out his left hind. I’ve got 3 vet opinions coming and had my holistic vet put her hands on him watched him move. Her recommendation was to increase his muscle and exercise so that he has better stability and lotion is motion for that hip joint. Henry was very good for her exam and showed no hesitancy during it. I’m going to start some adequan for him now.

And I hope to start some nose work with him.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:38 pm

Last Friday my good friend and enabler sent me a photo (cutest puppy ever) and info on an adoption event being held near me. She knows I WONT adopt a puppy but she’s been trying ever since I lost my aged dog last summer. Confident in my ability to resist I stopped in to play with what turned out to be SEVEN litters of puppies! I did NOT come home with a puppy…but I did come home with a Mama Dog. She’s extremely thin, probably a healer type mix. All her puppies were adopted at the event. They called her “Toothless” since she was missing some teeth and others are crooked. She was dropped off with puppies shortly after whelping in the Navajo Nation. This Rescue has a volunteer courier who meets a volunteer who picks up dogs from various points on the Reservation and brings them to a meeting place for the Courier. She is just so sweet. She is reasonable on a lead and house trained (I don’t quite understand how). She likes her crate, but prefers my bed :D . Her name is Betty after Betty White. The Rescue will take care of shots, spaying, worming (done), and microchipping, so she’ll need to go back at least twice more. I’m already able to drop her lead and she will stay close. She’s afraid of the horses and stays out of the stalls, but is doing fine in the aisle. She already understands it is her job to go out with me to feed the horses. Her only negative is she is not food oriented and she is thin. Right now she thinks her name is “Good Girl”. Training her for recall when she doesn’t want treats could be tricky. (Any suggestions?) Sorry I haven’t been able to figure out how to post photos.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:43 pm

Wow, SHL, great adoption story! Love the name ! This seems to be the "Season of the Dog" for all the recent adoptions taking place. Recall training: not in my bag of tricks. Our Bentley doesn't seem to be a candidate in that department, so we'll be focusing our efforts on "stay happily inside the house for a couple hours until one of us returns...." :) Thankfully he walks on a leash without problem.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:33 pm

Perhaps try recall training with a long line?

khall

Postby khall » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:58 pm

Update on Henry and the cutest picture:)

I finally have rescue commitment with Henry. It’s a local rescue that adopts up to the NE only. Henry has shown to be fairly high energy and wants a job and I’m just not able to fully meet his needs with his exercise requirements though I have found out he leads off our side by side fine and we’ve been doing trot sets in the hay field. Too funny Zoey my pit and I ride. Henry is long trotting happy as a clam.

He’s also sound now. I do have him on adequan but he was sound even before I started the adequan. He looks great. Lean and muscled but still almost 80 lbs. We do work on impulse control a good bit which he’s taken to well. I had hoped to do some nose work with him but just do not have the time yet. Henry will stay with me until he is adopted.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 822&type=3

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:03 am

So glad you found him an outlet. He is such a pretty dog.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:05 pm

Yes, so glad you’re giving this guy help. Good for you, Khall! You are a good animal person.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:47 pm

A little Henry spam! Doing a bit of training today

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... 94491/?d=n

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... 27559/?d=n

Henry is also going to start doggie daycare at least once a week or so:). He wears my pittie girl out!

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:06 am

Oh, he's gorgeous, what a lovely boy!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:21 pm

so handsome! Obviously I love a good hound

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:48 pm

Me too Rye...I like me a good hound. Love the looks at the cookies in the down stay. Like...they, they are RIGHT THERE.

Someone will get a really nice dog.

Susan

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:41 pm

Unfortunately not so happy of an update for Henry. He’s still here with no interest but he had his 6 month heart worm test yesterday and he’s positive. Looking at $6-800 to treat him being a larger dog. Have not told DH yet how much it will cost. Needless to say at this point and all we’ve been through I’m keeping him. Henry is home. He will start treatment asap doxycycline is ordered. We are taking him on our vacation along with Zoey our pittie girl since he will be leash walk only for 2-2 1/2 months (jingles we live through it!). So the coonhound gets to go to the beach!

Here’s a picture of the goofball

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... MhS2l/?d=n

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:30 pm

Some things are better not shared with our spouses!

I've never had a dog in this country so I dont know much about heartworm. I'll have to go Google...

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:39 pm

Mountaineer they are huge problem especially in the south. I was actually surprised he was negative initially. But when you have a dog you do not know the prevention treatment here in the states they are not considered negative until they’ve had two negative tests 6 months apart if they are older than 6 months.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:24 pm

If it's any solace to you my foster dog turned into adopted dog too

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:03 am

I too have been a failed foster a couple of times. The last one I had to put to sleep right before Christmas at the age of almost 14. He was my heart and soul even though I swore I would not adopt him.

Good on you. If I may, I'd love to donate to the treatment. I have an account that I could use for ordering if you know what I mean. If my distributor doesn't carry what I think you may need (it may be only direct from manufacturer), I could always donate in another fashion. It would really make me feel like I'm doing what I set out to do back in 1989 when I graduated.........miss shelter medicine like you would not believe and still am grateful for each and every one of our volunteers and fosters.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”