You know you're getting old.......

Rockabilly
Herd Member

You know you're getting old.......

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:17 pm

When life is passing you by. Like all the new phrases I have no ideal what they mean and the young people with all their energy and outspokeness. Okay so when I was a kid we walked uphill in the snow to school......okay not really, but oh so different than when kids were more sedate. I mean who cares if they can't write and spell? Well, it quite annoys me and that's only one thing, but I wish I could keep up, but I am not able too. I'm dealing with other things more important in my life, but I love their fun and energy!

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: You know you're getting old.......

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:24 am

Rockabilly! I was thinking about you jsut the other day and wondering how you were getting on! How are you?

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:15 pm

I agree Rockabilly! I just had a bunch of teenagers in the car with me (I dont have kids, all friends kids). They speak a different language!!! The girls swimmers... nothing covering their bums! I"m so out of touch :lol:

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:54 pm

I have a teenager (well 19) and I'm a 4H leader, so I'm always around the goofballs. They sometimes have some VERY interesting insights. ;)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:59 pm

It's the music too. I am so out of touch with the music

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:55 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Rockabilly! I was thinking about you jsut the other day and wondering how you were getting on! How are you?

Thank you so much for asking, Mountaineer. I am semi-okay right now. The first of the year I had surgery for spinal stenosis and it appeared to go well. I was out mowing this spring when I felt a little tired so I decided to come in and lay down for a while. I lay down down and became unconscious for weeks. It scared my husband so bad he had a medical heliocopter land in our front yard and take me to St. Thomas hospital in Nashville where the emergency room doctors saved my life. I was on a ventilator and I don't know what else. I was very close to death, but I didn't know any of that. What happened is I had a massive infection in my back that almost killed me from me the metal in my back. The metal had to be removed and I was in the hospital 160 days. The second surgery appeared to go well, but I didn't know I would be paraiized from it. I am slowly regaining my strength and I am not able to walk right now. I feel very slow in all this, but my husband thinks I am doing well considering I was near death. It also caused kidney problems that I never had before and I am on dialysis 3 times a week for 4 hours each. An ambulance comes and picks me up and brings me home and they are not exactly always on time. However despite it all I am feeling pretty good with the exception of my feel. My brain is a bit sharper these days. It was very fuzzy. This is what I meant when replying to the e-mail about picking up and moving. You never know what's going to happen in your life. I am at home and my husband is taking perfect care of me. He's so good, but he is not a cook! Also, I have done a lot of thinking and I am glad Billy passed away before me because I couldn't bear him not being taken care of. Thank You again.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:03 pm

You have sure been through the ringer! I’m so glad that you are recovering and starting to be able to participate in your own recovery. I have a friend who went through something similar, although not as bad. She fell in the bathroom and broke her ankle in eleven places. She had lots of metal plates and screws installed at Mayo Hospital. Then eight months later they went back in with exploratory surgery when they couldn’t figure out why she wasn’t recovering the way they expected. Massive MERSA infection in the metal. After it was removed and major rehab she is now walking again. That and a couple of other health incidents with other friends is why I seriously started to consider moving closer to family. Good friends are wonderful and they come through for you but when it’s going to be the long haul it’s not fair to expect that of them. Also I hear you on the animals! I’ve made the best financial arrangements I can to keep mine safe, but still….

Rockabilly, keep hanging in there and recovering. Your DH sounds like one of the good ones!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:23 pm

Heck Rockabilly, that's some severe stuff you are going through. I am glad you are well enough to do us a line. Jingles.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:27 pm

Holy Carp, Rockabilly!!! Massive jingles for recovery sooner rather than later. Maybe Billy was trying to help you survive from his side of the Rainbow Bridge ;)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:42 pm

Good Heavens, you have had a rough time. I'm glad you have the brain back and sure hope the body will follow for you.

Bless your husband for being a Good Egg. I'm sure he's been very worried about you. (I've found one of the worst parts of being incapacitated in the past is having to graciously accept my beloved DH's "cuisine.")

Please pop in and keep us posted as to how you are doing!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:55 pm

Oh, and I forgot a couple of things. One is I lost 63 pounds and personally I think it was due to terrible, awful hospital food. The other thing is I lost a lot of my hair and my Primary Care Doctor said it was due to stress. I hope it grows back.

Well, one more thing. I think hospitals should prepare patients of how they're going to feel when discharged because I am almost constantly amazed how tired I am am and how much rest I need and not feeling like I'm lazy. I am not lazy so I guess that's why it bothers me. I can't stand at the stove to cook, but I have a small table and an electric skillet to use. We have just started using "Hello Fresh" and "Blue Apron" and that is a huge adjustment for me that I have not done well with so far, but I'm trying after making a disaster over cooking crab cakes on Sunday. It just brought home to me (the perfect baker and cook) just how debilititying it all is.

There were many angels taking care of me and I thought they should develop wings so they could float out the door. There is a whole group of medical people I never knew existed. They are extraordinary and nothing like this plain person....me.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:33 pm

OMG Rockabilly, how dreadful. I’m glad you are getting better, but it is scary and awful. I will add to my white light list.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:48 am

Oh Rockabilly :shock:. Be easy on yourself. You are not lazy. You were septic which affects all major organ systems and they will come back but it will take time.

Huge jingles and energy vibes coming your way.

Susan

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:18 pm

Hi Susan, kidney's too?

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:38 am

Rockabilly, definitely. Sepsis (usually starting as a consequence of infection) drives the body into an overwhelming inflammatory response. Blood pressure markedly decreases and then you have inadequate perfusion (circulation) to all of the organ systems (kidneys, brain, circulation--heart/lungs), liver...all of them.

We are very lucky you are still here and we are very glad.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:51 pm

I searched back to reread why poor Rockabilly had been so unwell. What tremendous hard serious problems. I really feel for her family

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue May 03, 2022 8:59 pm

Me too Chisamba. She was the first person to reach out to me in the old UDBB. Such a lovely person. I hope her husband is doing well. Such a shock.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun May 08, 2022 12:55 am

A definite shock. Very sad news

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”