Equine travel accommodations

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Equine travel accommodations

Postby heddylamar » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:34 pm

Has anyone overnighted a horse somewhere while traveling? Anything I should be on the lookout for?

The two places I'm considering both require proof of recent Coggins, and I'm vaccinating in the next few weeks. Both also have hookups for electric ... I'm going to ask about tents. Not that mine takes up much room — I could even put it up in the bed of the truck.

exvet

Re: Equine travel accommodations

Postby exvet » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:59 am

When I moved from KC to Phoenix I unloaded my horses at a horse motel overnight. I had 4 horses in tow. My friend who was helping me booked the place but she was sure to get specifications about the barn/stalls so that we knew the size, if they had automatic waterers, their cleaning and disinfecting policy, if there would be other horses there as well as their vaccination and coggins status requirements. I felt lucky because we were coming in as the sole overnighters and not having to share with any other horses. The stalls were big, 14 x 14 and safe (no broken parts, no exposed nails, stall doors that worked, etc). These days I would ask for pictures of the aforementioned (size/stall specs) as proof. I had a good experience with the place we used. It was also helpful to know how far they were from the highway because late at night, it's good to have more to rely on than just GPS.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:01 am

This is super helpful, thank you!

I'm considering two places, and need to email them both. One looks like it has really high traffic, and is right up on the interstate. The other is a breeding operation (Belgians) two miles off the interstate. Both have good reviews. I'll be driving through on either a Monday or Tuesday night, so traffic shouldn't be too heavy.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:00 am

I used a fogger aerosol disinfector every time I either stable at shows or horse motels.

I spray especially all surfaces horses are likely to kick or touch with their mouths. I spray horses feet and disinfect my own feet before loading to leave using one to nine clorox solution.
Either in lucky or out works because I've come back from skies that were nasty source outbreaks for infections and avoided bringing them home.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”