Countdown to Total Solar Eclipse

texsuze
500 post plus club

Countdown to Total Solar Eclipse

Postby texsuze » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:49 pm

One week and counting to The Big Dark! Of course, the current weather prediction for us (in the heart of totality!) is cloudy skies and possible thunderstorms :roll: Anyone else planning to observe this feat of nature?

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Countdown to Total Solar Eclipse

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:53 pm

Yes, but we are only getting a partial

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:54 pm

Yep! We'll get nearly 3.5 minutes here!

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:34 pm

I'm visiting family in Dallas this weekend and they live where there is over 3 min of totality. Of course, the forecast may dash it or make it much less impactful. But, I'll have a nice visit with them either way.

I put it on our calendars back in 2017 when the last eclipse came through the US. My brother moved in between - but stayed in the path of totality!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:20 pm

I bought eclipse glasses yesterday. We are in the path of 85-90% totality. I think I’ll watch it at the barn to see if the horses notice.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:50 am

Cool! We dont get to see it here, I remember seeing pics of the weird shadows and people saying the birds went quiet when it went dark.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:57 pm

After a cloudy morning 20 minutes before the total solar eclipse the clouds parted and we had perfect clear skies for the whole eclipse. It was incredible - totality was a truly moving experience.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:15 pm

Zevida glad those clouds moved out of the way! Same thing here, we were very fortunate. The drifting cloud streams actually added some extra "O-h-h-h-h-h!" to the surreal display. Got out my binoculars during totality and it all took place just as so many had described, although nothing like witnessing in real time. Chickens knew it was too early to go to bed, but they stayed near the barn anyway. Nearby rooster crowing, roadrunner calling for a long time, a neighbor cow mo-o-o-o ed! It was very exciting!

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 pm

texsuze wrote:Zevida glad those clouds moved out of the way! Same thing here, we were very fortunate. The drifting cloud streams actually added some extra "O-h-h-h-h-h!" to the surreal display.

Yeah the wispy clouds moving past the sun during the partial part of the eclipse was actually kind of neat - added some dimension and dynamism to the eclipse. I'm very glad they were gone during totality though!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”