Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Horses and Conscience

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:52 am

capstone
Herd Member

Re: Horses and Conscience

Postby capstone » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:18 am

I thought the article was speaking to consciousness. I agree with that. Not necessarily conscience though.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:39 pm

Enjoyed the article, thank you.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:47 pm

Just mentioned to KeysFins how the mind reading horses seem to do has intrigued me since I was a kid. No matter how nonchalant I act, one of my guys can read me 100 feet away!

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:56 am

Good article. What amazes me at times are the horse people, good trainers, who shut down their horse's interactions with them. Misdirected "manners" if you will. I have one, who needs to touch me. Not in a space invading way... not meanly... but like a human friend would reach out and touch your arm. Are you there? Is it ok? Its a need to this type of creature (whether horse or human). If you block that, or shut it down... they sulk... or draw back... or get more worried about events around them. When you allow that interaction and engagement... they bloom and become so much more alive and brave. They begin to show their humour and personality. So many very very small things they look for and respond to. If you really pay attention and stop always controlling, it can be an eye opener.

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Here is another interesting article on the nature of horse's personalities and capabilities:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... of-horses/

Scientists are just now figuring out that mythos of the "stallion" is just that, a myth.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby kande50 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:58 pm

Literiding wrote:
Scientists are just now figuring out that mythos of the "stallion" is just that, a myth.

It does sound as if they do fight a lot, though?

I like this part: "Ransom was once watching a band of mares that stopped grazing and began heading for water. The stallion didn't notice. When he looked up and saw his female companions leaving, he panicked. “He started running after them,” Ransom told me. “He was like a little boy calling out, ‘Hey, where's everybody going?’” The mares ignored him. Whether the stallion caught up or not didn't appear to concern them."

I saw this a lot when my horse was a stallion. When the mares were in heat they just loved him, but when they weren't they could care less about him unless he was their only choice for companionship. And they didn't give him any say in their daily activities, either. They just did their thing and pretty much ignored him until they came back in heat.

periastra
Novice

Postby periastra » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:46 pm

I agree with you digihorse about letting horses touch us. I have always allowed it, and it has never lead to behavior problems. I have always been told by the vet, farrier and dentist that my horses are very easy to work on. Peri is a hugger and likes to nuzzle and rub on us. We also give treats by hand and have never had issues with manners. DH and I also hug and hang all over Peri. Thats the price of living here. :)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”