Back Up Cameras for hauling

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Back Up Cameras for hauling

Postby redsoxluvr » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:27 pm

Does anyone use a backup camera for hauling horses? Mr. Redsoxluvr is muttering about getting me one and we have no idea where to start.
Help! TIA

dasher
Greenie

Re: Back Up Cameras for hauling

Postby dasher » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:33 pm

I got one for Christmas a few years ago.
I had it installed inside the nose of the trailer and hardwired into my light switch.
I can view the horses when I haul.
The screen is small, but I can see what is going on back there. I would go for the biggest screen possible.
It came from an auto parts store.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:44 pm

are you looking for help to maneuver, hitch, or see the horses inside?

We just bought this: http://www.costco.com/1-Backup-Camera-System-with-7%22-LCD-Screen-by-Rear-View-Safety.product.100128963.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=916985&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine= for our trailer. It's got inputs for three cameras (or two cameras and a DVD player :roll: ). Very good reviews, as long as you have the space to put a large display.

We also have a swift hitch for visualizing the trailer hitch and tongue. Saves a lot of yelling at each other.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:31 am

I have absolutely zero hauling experience. What is more important? Having a camera to see behind you or to see the horses?

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:53 am

I have a little wireless portable one. Generally works well but the battery only has about 4hours charge. The best spot int eh float for it is behind the horses on one of the corners. This of course means the storm doors interfere with the reception. Friend has hers wired in and its much more reliable. My OH has plans to wire in my unit but its way down a fairly long list at the moment.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”