Perfect bread

bascar
Herd Member

Perfect bread

Postby bascar » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:34 pm

This is the Mark Bittman recipe from the NYT for no-knead bread.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

I have always been unconvinced that any bread recipe will work for me because a) I''m a crap baker and b) altitude - but I was convinced to try this, and it worked - spectacularly!

Notes: while I was making this I was still completely unconvinced - the dough was so wet that it was like working with porridge, or slime mould - so the second rise I put a glug of olive oil in the bowl and swilled the dough around, left it for 10 minutes and then poured it onto a monumentally well dusted worktop where I prodded it into a ball shape a couple of times.... it didn't hold the shape at all.... imagine a balloon half filled with water squishing about..... and unconvinced, edged it back into the bowl to rise for 2 hours. I poured it into the hot casserole dish and again thought that it was a waste of time and energy but in for a penny in for a pound, might as well bake it anyway. Lo and Behold! Amazing bread.

Except for just one thing... it doesn't actually taste of anything. Is this the flour? I just used generic strong white. I can probably up the salt a bit, but I know you can't go too far with the salt or you won't get the rise. What say you, bakers?

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Perfect bread

Postby KathyK » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:20 pm

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:35 pm

Brilliant - thanks - I'll do the parmesan olive next :D

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:11 pm

I've been making this bread for yonks. Stopped when bf (now ex) worked for bakery who made the world's most amazing sourdough bread, but he's gone so now I can make bread again. Here are my notes:

No knead bread - aka easiest best bread ever

3 cups flour
1 heaped tsp salt
½-1 tsp yeast (use more if shorter time required. Use quick-rise/breadmaker yeast if you want 12-hour or less bread, or normal dried yeast if you will be leaving it for a day or two)
Add seasonings as desired – or not… a pinch of chilli powder and a heaped teaspoon of paprika… chopped sundried tomatoes… olives… fresh or dried herbs… grated cheese… crushed garlic…. cranberries (or other dried fruit) and nuts… The sky is the limit! Chop or don’t chop these things, it doesn’t matter.
1 – 1.5 cups of lukewarm water (add less water to start and see how it mixes together). Note: amount of water will vary depending on temperature, season, moisture level… I just eyeball it each time.
I usually add a splosh of oil – olive or grapeseed - or leftover oil from jars of sundried tomatoes or similar.

Mix all together.
You want it to just barely come together into a lump. It will be messy, not a nice smooth ball of dough. It’s ok to be a bit wet or a bit dry. Start with the lower measure of water and add a bit more if it’s not coming together. It will increase in moisture during the rising process.
Put aside in bowl, covered with tea towel/plate/lid/gladwrap, in a not-too-cold place (pantry/cupboard). Doesn’t need to be a warm place unless you’re aiming for a quick rise – then, in airing cupboard or very gently pre-warmed oven (under than 40 deg C).
After 8 to 12 (or 18-24) hours, sort of scrape around the edges of the bowl and shape the dough into a ball. Leave to rise again for 1-2 hours before baking.
NOTE: you can repeat the rise/shape process if you want to 12-24 hours later (this dough can do a 3-day rise). Basically, it needs a longer rise to start, then whatever length of rise you leave it for, then the final “shape” and 1-2 hours resting before baking.

Heat oven to 200-220 degrees C (fan forced). HOT!
Pre-heat a heavy baking tin/pot with a lid for about ½ hour (I have a cast iron dutch oven which is excellent. I’ve also used two cast iron frying pans, one as the lid).
Use a silicon cookie sheet or piece of greaseproof baking paper to line the baking tin, so the bread doesn’t stick.
Tip ball of dough into tin.
Bake for 45-60 mins with lid on, then remove lid and bake for another half hour (or so) until nicely browned.

The original:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dinin ... .html?_r=0

A simplified version:
http://www.simplysogood.com/2010/03/crusty-bread.html
And some Q&A from the same blog, which may help if it doesn't work as you think it should:
http://www.simplysogood.com/2012/08/cru ... forum.html
There are some ideas for rye, wholemeal, wholeweat, gluten free and various other versions within the comments on the two blog entries.

I typically make loaves with:
- a sprinkle of chilli powder, a teaspoon or so of paprika, and several sliced sundried tomatoes
- as many herbs as you care to put in (at least one cup of whole leaves stripped off the stems, or chopped), and a teaspoon or two of chopped/crushed garlic
- herb and cheese (approx 1 cup of each)
- herb cheese & garlic
- herb, garlic, and a splash of balsamic vinegar (about 1-2 tablespoons) - may need to reduce the water slightly. I usually mix to a dry-ish dough then add the balsamic and mix lightly, which gives the cooked loaf streaks of dark brown from the vinegar. You can add caramelised onions as well, or serve with them or relish on the side.
- chopped nuts (1/2 to 1 cup) in addition to any other loaf (usually walnuts).

The sky is the limit!

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:38 pm

I think the big thing wrong with the basic recipe and all its basic permutations is that it lacks any depth of flavor and texture. I have been consistently disappointed

a bit of olive oil for sure helps, I think 1/4 tsp yeast is stingy. I use conventional yeast and bloom it rather than rapid rise. Never underdose salt in a bread recipe

flour is highly variable and I would get the best bread making flour possible

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:13 pm

That sounds like a recipe for rustic White Wonder Bread; no "wonder" it is so bland!

I think it is worth the money to buy good flour, like King Arthur, to make a good bread. I have used a similar recipe, but substituted whole wheat for half the flour and added maybe 1/4 cup cracked wheat and a few T. olive oil. Experiment with herbs and nuts. The comment section below your NYT recipe has some other ideas.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:13 pm

bascar wrote:
Except for just one thing... it doesn't actually taste of anything. Is this the flour? I just used generic strong white. I can probably up the salt a bit, but I know you can't go too far with the salt or you won't get the rise. What say you, bakers?

It's the long fermentation that gives it the flavor. I made no knead for months because I couldn't get consistent oven spring, and when I got tired of that and switched back to kneaded bread I found the flavor quite bland compared to the no-knead.

I was watching a baking show on TV and the baker did say that a 90 minute first fermentation was ideal for developing the maximum flavor and texture for the light italian bread she was making, and a shorter first fermentation wouldn't allow for maximum flavor development, but a longer one would mess up the texture she was looking for.

I don't worry overly much about adding flavors to the bread when I make it, as I find it much easier to just add more flavor to the top of the bread when I eat it.

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:52 pm

No knead baquette making. What a project. But what you learn is the longer time spent in the refrig (up to 4 days) the more flavor.
http://www.americastestkitchen.com/epis ... e_browse_1

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:16 am

Interesting. That would explain why most bread machine bread tastes like cotton wool.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:23 am

yeast builds the flavor and I would for sure go more than 24 hours on the basic recipe

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:58 am

Additionally, one learns to rise bread in the refrigerator when one is at altitude since bread can rise too fast and not develop the nice yeasty flavor. I didn't believe that bread would rise in the refrigerator until I tried it - worked like a charm! :)

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:13 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:Additionally, one learns to rise bread in the refrigerator when one is at altitude since bread can rise too fast and not develop the nice yeasty flavor. I didn't believe that bread would rise in the refrigerator until I tried it - worked like a charm! :)

really? so it doesn't need 70 degrees? hmmmm. So leave in fridge for maybe 48 hours?

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:16 pm

Bascar, I used to rise my pizza dough overnight or during the day - yes, it rises albeit not very fast. But, that 'not very fast' is what gives the good yeasty taste to combat the rising too fast at altitude (I lived at 7'K feet at the time).

Same process... dough in oiled bowl covered with plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out... presto, raised dough.

I don't think I ever went 2 days ... yeast might starve with that length of time... trying to remember how long for sure but I am sure I never went more than 24 hours.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:39 pm

hoopoe wrote:yeast builds the flavor and I would for sure go more than 24 hours on the basic recipe

If I let it rise too long it develops an unpleasant sour flavor, although that's probably because I leave it in an unheated room and the temp doesn't stay low enough to be able to let it ferment for that long.

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:34 pm

Yes. The long rises are done in the refridge. Not on the counter.

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:20 am

Ha ... and now you don't even have to turn on the oven to cook your no knead refrigerator bread. Crock Pot bread. http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2012/05/29/crock-pot-bread-baking-fast-bread-in-a-slow-cooker

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Hell in a hand basket is the phrase that comes to mind

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:54 pm

Woost2 wrote:Ha ... and now you don't even have to turn on the oven to cook your no knead refrigerator bread. Crock Pot bread.

Perfect!

If use 9 cups water then I don't have to measure the flour, because I can use an entire 5lb bag. Trouble is, it makes 5 loaves and I only have room for 4 in my oven. So I'm going try cooking the leftover dough in the crockpot next time.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”