Help with European weekend trip ideas

capstone
Herd Member

Help with European weekend trip ideas

Postby capstone » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:10 am

Since I'm spending so much time in Switzerland, I am resolving to make better use of the proximity to other destinations in the new year.

I will have 1 or 2 weekends each month in which I can travel. So...can anyone suggest destinations for weekend trips? Either 1 or 2 nights could be possible. Flying out of Geneva or by train.

Some ideas I've gotten so far, some of which would be better for winter than others.

Annecy, France
Mont Saint-Michel, France
Madrid
Barcelona
Lisbon
Rome
Florence
Prague (my sister is insistent that I go to Prague but I'm reluctant for some reason)
Paris (I have been to Paris and have seen all of the tourist sights, albeit 20 years ago)
London (like Paris, my visit was 20 years ago)

Any help will be greatly appreciated! I would like to get my January trip planned soon before it's too late and end up wasting away in my apartment the way I have done most weekends so far.

orono
Herd Member

Re: Help with European weekend trip ideas

Postby orono » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:20 am

I've heard Budapest is absolutely magnificent and not to be missed.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:32 am

Yes, I will add that one for the spring!

I'm thinking Athens for January. It is their low season and so costs will be low while the weather should be manageable.

I'm looking at this site for ideas: http://www.athensguide.com/weekend/index.htm

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:40 am

Amsterdam.
Do go to Prague it is interesting and beautiful!
Berlin (of course ;) )
Brugge! (Belgium)
Italy would be my first choice. It's so close and has so much more to offer than just Rome and Florence, There's Milano, Venice, Pisa, Siena, Napoli...
And the south of France too, Grasse, Nice, Cannes...

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:41 pm

I'd go to Budapest. London and Paris have changed a lot in 20 years so put those on your list for after winter. Frankly, I'd go anywhere if I had the chance.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:30 pm

Prague my sisters travel extensively and LOVE Prague
Warsaw Budapest also lovely

I adore London. Check the What's On and look for fun theater or special event. Since Ryan Air is constantly running flights, it is easy and inexpensive .

Remember,too,all the FEI events. Continental 3day events, show jumping and dressage events. These need long term planning for the big events, like Aachen.

Milan, Chinqua Terra, Morocco

DD2
Greenie

Postby DD2 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:04 pm

Yes, Madrid and surrounding areas such as Toledo, Segovia and Salamanca. Or better yet, head a little further south and do Seville, Jerez (riding school), Córdoba and Grenada.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:04 pm

When I was in Germany (exchange) we spent 10 days in Italy (Iseo, the next lake over from Garda, IIRC). I am sure we did some travelling around to places like Milan, Florence, Venice (day trips). I also went to Berlin for a week, lovely city. Sans Soucci is a beautiful castle.

Also all sorts of trips (day, weekend, etc) around Bavaria and other German places.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:52 pm

Do it all. When I was small and my father was on Sabbatical in France, we went to all the places. Every holiday- and there are many in France!- and many weekends we would pile in the car and go. Everything is close and easy. Even the bad trips were good.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:50 am

Lyons. Best food in the world, interesting city, walkable. Not a big trip from Geneva.

Inamo
Greenie

Postby Inamo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:17 am

Valencia is a fantastic city to visit too. The idea of Seville and the Royal School at Jerez is also good. Portugal is a beautiful place to visit as well.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:34 pm

Another vote for Lyon. We had a lovely week there this fall. Annecy is also beautiful and relaxing.

For a winter break, I recommend Marseille (lively music and art scene) or Aix (beautiful college town) in France or a more southern area of Spain (Sevilla, etc.). Go south! It is brutally hot in much of Spain and Portugal in the summer, but lovely now into early spring.

Linda_V
Greenie

Postby Linda_V » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:35 pm

Prague hands down. Loved my trip there.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:44 pm

So since my last post on this thread, I have made weekend trips to Athens and Rome and day trips to Bern and Lucerne here in Switzerland.

The weather has been a real limiting factor at some points, in addition to the lack of a car. I likely would have been to Annecy by now but the train ride with multiple connections seems a tine-consuming for the short distance travelled.

I am considering Paris in April if I can swing the use of a friend's flat (for free). If not, I'm not sure.

In May, I have tickets to the World Dressage Masters competition in Weisbaden, Germany, near Frankfurt. Now I need travel and lodging arrangements!

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:14 am

Wonderful! Can't wait to hear about the dressage competition, have fun!

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Go to Paris even if you have to get a hotel room. The city is so worth it. And have fun at the dressage competition. Drool-worthy horses I'm sure.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:54 pm

PaulaO wrote:Go to Paris even if you have to get a hotel room. The city is so worth it.

I will go but maybe not in April - I'm a little low on funds right now. I have been there before many years ago.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:12 pm

I went to Barcelona this weekend. I will try to link to my FB photo albums.

Next month I go to Wiesbaden, Germany, for the World Dressage Masters.

Then my husband comes over here the week leading up to Memorial Day and we should take a small trip then. No decision where yet. Venice has been suggested.

And finally, we are seeing if my mom and sister could come over here to visit late June/early July. I am thinking to plan the weekend trip to Paris at that time.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”