Dremel recommendation for dog's toenails

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Dremel recommendation for dog's toenails

Postby Sunshine2Me » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:22 pm

My new girl is used to having a pedicure using a dremel. I'd like to continue that practice, but I don't have a dremel tool. What does the DDBB use or recommend? Is one from the hardware store too powerful?

hoopoe
Herd Member

Re: Dremel recommendation for dog's toenails

Postby hoopoe » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:27 pm

dremmels kits come with multiple attachments for many purposes from gentle to hard core.

dremmel does make this "dog specific" tool. An economical choice

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-7300-PT-4- ... remel+tool

onetrickpony
Novice

Postby onetrickpony » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:57 pm

hoopoe wrote:dremmels kits come with multiple attachments for many purposes from gentle to hard core.

dremmel does make this "dog specific" tool. An economical choice

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-7300-PT-4- ... remel+tool

We have that one, purchased new and never used. Let me know if you'd be interested in buying it, Sunshine.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:38 pm

Onetrick, why didn't you use it? No need or didn't like how it worked or???

I currently pay someone to dremmel my dogs' nails and have toyed with doing it myself...

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:29 am

I bought the most powerful cordless one for my show dog. About $100 and worth every penny. The less expensive cordless ones are underpowered, so take a long time to file the nails and dogs and humans generally don't like them. I will never clip a nail again. Dremeling nails is super easy and fast with a good, powerful tool.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:19 pm

I have a corded one that was about $60 at Lowe's. It has a speed adjustment, so it's not too powerful on the low speed setting. I use a round sandstone attachment with it. Have been using it on my dog for almost ten years now, and sometimes it comes in handy for other stuff too. My dog doesn't love it, but we have a deal where she gets a piece of kibble for each nail done, so she just looks away until I get it over with. :)
Keep calm and canter on.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:10 pm

And not the worries about nicking the quick with the dremmel that you have with the clippers.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:25 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:And not the worries about nicking the quick with the dremmel that you have with the clippers.

I've heard the quick "draws back" if you use the dremmel. Is that true?

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:02 am

The quick does not 'draw back' as you are using the Dremmel. You can still hit the quick with a Dremmel.
The quick draws back once the nail is trimmed back as far as the quick. But this also happens if you use nippers.

Make sure the battery is fully charged .... go slowly and don't hold it on for more than a second or two....and use fresh sandpaper after every 2-3 trims.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:29 am

You can hit the quick with a Dremmel but it takes some doing. It's like saying you can file your nails down to the quick- well, yes, but way before you get to a painful bit you can stop. Once you get used to the Dremmel, you realize it's much easier to regulate how much or little nail you take off.

My powerful cordless holds on to a charge for ever and is so powerful that I do have to turn the power way down. That being said, the dogs seem to prefer it if I up the power a little and get done with the blasted job. I used to do it more slowly and that seemed to drag out their misery. Both dogs put up with it and they know they get a whole slice of cheese afterward so it makes them pretty okay with the whole process.

More than once, I've pinched my own hands with the clippers or quicked a dog. I will never go back.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”