Baltimore and Area Snow Storm Update

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Baltimore and Area Snow Storm Update

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:11 pm

Nephew and friend are in Baltimore for the next week. Hoping the storm tracks south and east of them. How's everybody doing out there?

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Re: Baltimore and Area Snow Storm Update

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:35 pm

My DD is in DC. The government is closing at noon today. The metro will stop running at 10 pm tonight and not run all weekend. She ran out to get dog food this morning and said people are in a state of panic already. Stay safe east coast!

Janet
Greenie

Postby Janet » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:51 pm

I live about 40 minutes north and west of Richmond - and the first flakes are just starting to fall... We are forecast to get 24+ inches. This will cripple our area for at least a week! No joke - the schools are already cancelled for today, and I bet it will be a week or more before they open again. The grocery stores were out of bread, milk and toilet paper when I went to the store Wednesday afternoon! I feel bad for people who haven't gotten their supplies. It will be a long weekend for them without toilet paper! :shock:

My horses are safe in the barn. The hay, grain and water tanks are all full. The generator has been tuned up and is ready for use if needed. I will be trudging down to the barn every few hours to check on everyone - and hauling the manure out of the stalls is going to be an adventure with 24 inches of snow, but, I'm as ready as I can be!

Stay safe everyone!!

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Janet wrote:I live about 40 minutes north and west of Richmond - and the first flakes are just starting to fall... We are forecast to get 24+ inches. This will cripple our area for at least a week! No joke - the schools are already cancelled for today, and I bet it will be a week or more before they open again. The grocery stores were out of bread, milk and toilet paper when I went to the store Wednesday afternoon! I feel bad for people who haven't gotten their supplies. It will be a long weekend for them without toilet paper! :shock:

My horses are safe in the barn. The hay, grain and water tanks are all full. The generator has been tuned up and is ready for use if needed. I will be trudging down to the barn every few hours to check on everyone - and hauling the manure out of the stalls is going to be an adventure with 24 inches of snow, but, I'm as ready as I can be!

Stay safe everyone!!

Janet - keep an eye on the amount of snow that accumulates on the roof of your house and barn!

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:00 pm

Good thinking S2Me.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:04 pm

Thinking of all of you in the path of the storm. On the news last night, they showed fleets of power company trucks from Florida headed up to the Carolinas to help deal with the aftermath of the expected ice storm. Ugh...

dasher
Greenie

Postby dasher » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:16 pm

We now have a light dusting of snow on everything. It starts out so innocently, becomes beautiful, then turns into a giant PITA.
It is going to be especially bad for me this year with only one good arm and 11 horses to take care of.
Wind gusts up to 65mph, heavy snow accumulations up to 30", power outages expected to last for several days. State of emergency has been declared and National Guard assets are to be deployed.
I don't know how much longer I am going to be able to keep doing this by myself.
One day at a time, I guess!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:01 am

dasher wrote:We now have a light dusting of snow on everything. It starts out so innocently, becomes beautiful, then turns into a giant PITA.

One day at a time, I guess!

And there you have Winter. Hang in there folks!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:54 am

dasher, best of luck getting through the next several days. It sounds tough to cope with your weather even with two good arms!

As Maxine says, "There’s a time each winter when things go from magical to miserable. They call it 'January.' " https://www.facebook.com/maxine/photos/ ... =3&theater

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:07 pm

Near the shore area in central NJ - well over a foot and more in drifts. Still windy and snowing. Oh well, our winter was delayed for a few weeks and now is here.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:29 pm

they said we were going to get dumped on, then they said we were in the two inch range, ( north jersey) but we have more than that, hard to say how much more because the wind is horrible and has it all in drifts and ice spots. keep safe everyone

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:19 am

Snow-hardened veteran here. Steal your kids sled and use it instead of a wheelbarrow for mucking out.

Stay safe folks. We've had more than a few feet here this winter, but we are equipped for it.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:15 am

Now just over 2 ft so will see how much we continue to get overnight. Next weekend it's suppose to be in the 40's temperature.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:08 pm

The great dig-out has begun. I seriously doubt most employers, schools, etc will be open by tomorrow.

Has anyone heard the outcome of the barn collapse in VA? I think it was the Aldie area. The collapse in Poolesville trapped 12 horses, 11 survived.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:59 pm

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:27 pm

Oh no!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:49 am

Thanks for starting this thread, I have family in the area and was wondering how things are.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”