Just joined a CSA

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Just joined a CSA

Postby PaulaO » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:47 pm

Community supported agriculture. I've always wanted to do this and my co-worker and I are splitting an every other week delivery. I'm very excited. This will force me to prepare more veggies. I need to call dibs on any carrots since she doesn't have a horse....

Mareless
Herd Member

Re: Just joined a CSA

Postby Mareless » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:45 pm

That's great!

I've gardened for a long time, so never joined a CSA (although I'm tempted, lol, because it would be so much easier than growing my own :lol: ). You are going to be amazed at how awesome fresh veggies are. There are so many more things I eat since I started gardening than I ever did when all I knew was veggies from the store--especially canned or frozen ones.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:37 pm

Agree with Mareless. Fresh veggies taste ever so much better!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:07 pm

Yes, we did this last year, and will sign up again this year. I will confess that we got a bit tired of kale and some of the mixed greens were a bit on the tough and aggressive side even for us ("Oh God, not bat wings again!"), but on the whole it was successful.

Alex
Herd Member

Postby Alex » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:42 am

Boy, Mountaineer, I wish you'd posted about not liking kale. There are some really kool things you can do w/kale in soups and purees and coulis that eliminate the whole bat wings thing!!#$! (That's a great expression for tough leaved greens like kale!#$!)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:02 pm

Yes, my fear is that half the box will be kale and kale chips are the only thing I know to do with it. Maybe we need a kale thread in the cooking section.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:38 pm

I am taking the plunge and joining a CSA with a 'small' bi-weekly and see how it goes... oh and a dozen eggs.

They are an organic farm about 4 miles from where I live. I looked at what should be in my box this week and I may be back for 'what do I with' questions... baby turnips??? I have no history with turnips.

They also have a store so I will check out what else they have available.

:D

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:40 pm

Mashed turnips? I've heard they are good combined with carrots (also mashed).

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:46 pm

PaulaO wrote:Yes, my fear is that half the box will be kale and kale chips are the only thing I know to do with it. Maybe we need a kale thread in the cooking section.

I'm trying to learn to eat kale (and other 'leafy green's) because I've become chronically low on iron. So far, baby kale is good in salad, and 'older' kale I am treating like spinach and putting it in omelets, quiche, etc.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:13 pm

I have started doing more omelets now that I have figured out how to cook them well :)

I don't remember if I am getting any kale this week or not...

We'll see tomorrow as I will be going to pick up my box as well check out the store and see how wheelchair accessible it really is :)

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:18 am

Our CSA farmer is very very careful to have a variety (even in the early weeks) and not to overload with one thing. It takes meticulous planning, skill and good luck. He plants a huge variety of stuff so even if somethings fail, there are other choices.

One of my favorite things is the newsletter the farmers put out every week, talking about what went on on the farm that week, what is going to be in the share and ideas for cooking, which usually come from the foodie farm interns. It is just so sweet.

Also, this very fine book is available from our CSA collective. From Asparagus to Zucchini. Last winter I was in California and was so delighted to see this Wisconsin book front and center at the big Seed Bank in Petaluma.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:28 am

Oh, we did lots of things with kale :) I got very good at massaging it... the field greens were actually more challenging. The problem here is that we have a very short growing season and we can get a frost or snow in just about any month but August (really, we have had snow on our July 4th parade before now,) so the choice of potential local produce is pretty limited. However, I will support them again this year. I didn't buy much in the way of veg at the grocery store for about 4 months last year, which was great.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:29 pm

I just looked... in theory, today's 'small' box has

Baby Spinach
Bok Choy
Green Romaine
Salad Mix
White Turnips

Yay, no kale to have to figure out. Not sure on the bok choy or white turnips so those will be interested.

Also ordered a dozen eggs and hoping to check out the store to see what else in available.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:22 pm

I love Bok Choy. Don't overcook it. We often have it with braised short ribs :)

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:00 pm

How the heck do you cook it and what does it taste like??? :)

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:35 pm

A PS for the moment :)

6 miles door to door. Small store but the produce looked fantastic... multiple varieties of loose leaf lettuces, same for daikon. Beets, carrots (baby and large), dill, cilantro, fennel, bunch green and red (got a bunch of the red) small onions. *Fresh* strawberries (had to get a pint of those.

Chickens greet you as you want in the door (they're really not running about loose but right by the door) and watched a few take a dirt bath.

The salad mix greens look great.

Still no idea what to do with the baby turnips or bok choy but google is your friend.

Baby spinach - think I'll just lightly sauté with a 'spot of butter' and some seasoning.

And my dozen fresh eggs - can hardly wait to try those :)

And a PPS... what is wrong with this picture. A lovely box of organic produce with a package of Peeps on top :oops: (which did NOT come from the organic farm store).

Paints
Herd Member

Postby Paints » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:58 pm

Bok Choy is often used in stir fries. Very mild and yummy!

Roast the turnips or boil and mash with cream and nutmeg. Yummy.

You have inspired me. We moved a year ago to an area that has wonderful fruit and wines but I had trouble finding veggies. I looked up some local CSAs and I think I will try it this year.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:09 pm

Glad I was part of the CSA inspiration.

This one is organic which I like, 6 miles from home and yes, organic as it is posted on the way into the farm.

I was thinking stir fry with the bok choy - I was thinking slice thin, sauté and stuff into an omelet :)

I don't know that I've ever had turnips so good ideas (I'm all about easy).

The organic chicken they raise themselves (both eggs and whole roaster type). No beef. No 'shrooms :( Forgot to check on corn but I am hoping so late in the summer.

Close enough to check them out every week even though my box is every other week at the moment. They also get bread in twice week so want to check that out as well :)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:58 pm

If I'm having bok Choy with something like short ribs, I'll just blanch it in boiling salted water. If having it with something like chicken then I might saute it in some sesame oil and add some fresh ginger.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:46 am

I'm resurrecting this thread to post this spicy kale chip recipe I came across

sriracha lime kale chips

I have it bookmarked for the next time I have some kale!

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:20 pm

I will have to try this. I'm batting a big fat zero on kale chips. I know people rave about them and I know more than one who makes them nearly every day. Mine of been mostly inedible. The first recipes had too much oil and too high heat. Scorched. Then Jacque Pepin told me to just rub some oil on my hands and then toss the kale. Hardly any oil. And lower the heat. OK. Still not all that tasty, but not burned. *sigh*

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:06 pm

I forwarded the kale chip recipe to my friend who is splitting the box with me. Her response? BLECH. You can have all the kale!

avma
Greenie

Postby avma » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:51 pm

What a timely post resurrection! I've been meaning to join the CSA that gives back to my son's school. I too hate kale. Blech!!! LOL I do use it in my smoothies though. :D We once were members of a CSA that gave us heads and heads of cabbage. I had no clue what to do with it. We would get two heads...and then a couple of weeks later get another two heads! LOL Luckily we were doing worm composting...so what we didn't finish...we didn't feel quite so bad about. At least the worms were getting fed!

Off to go join a CSA!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:12 pm

I must be lucky.

The organic CSA I joined (pick up every 2 weeks) has had kale only once, very few repeats other than for the loose leaf lettuce and even then it is a different variety every time. Even one time strawberries :D I also get a dozen free range chicken eggs and a yummy loaf of bread.

Today is pickup day. Thanks for reminding me to check to see what I am getting!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:17 pm

PS Just checked... today is supposed to be

1 bunch Carrots
1 bunch Celery
1 bunch Chiogga Beet
1 bunch Dandelion
1 head Farm’s Choice Lettuce
1 each Fennel, Baby
1 bunch Spring Onion, Purple

You can also get a juice box and a fruit box. 3 different sizes with either weekly or bi-weekly pickups (plus the egg and bread add ons). They also sell duck eggs but I haven't been brave enough to try those :)

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:08 pm

Okay :) beets???

What do I do with beets? (I love pickled beets). About 3" in diameter...

hummmm - wonder if you can quick pickle beets...

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:15 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:hummmm - wonder if you can quick pickle beets...

Martha Stewart says you can!

I love roasted beets - peel if necessary, cube, toss with a little olive oil and your favorite seasonings, and bake at 425 or so till lightly browned.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:46 am

Roasted is an interesting idea and yes, I found a few "quick" pickle recipes where I don't have to can them :)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:11 pm

According to my sharing partner, our box will be all veggies, with maybe melon at the end of the summer. Rats. I was looking forward to some fruit. Guess I will seek that elsewhere.

One of my favorite salads is roasted beets with goat cheese, so thanks for how to roast beets info.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”