Considerations when leasing

capstone
Herd Member

Considerations when leasing

Postby capstone » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:55 am

As the lessor. For a specific, short term use. I've never been on either end of a lease.

As my husband put it when I asked what he thought, "I'm surprised you're considering it; you generally don't like to share your toys." But I am considering it.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Re: Considerations when leasing

Postby Fatcat » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:50 am

I've only leased out one horse and he stayed on my property. The leasee was stellar, and I realize I was very fortunate. I'd spell out who's responsible for any injury/illness that occurs during the lease period. Also, what specific uses and places of use (I.e. Probably don't want your horse barrel racing, or being hauled away for an endurance ride). I assume you're covering basics like where the horse will reside, what expenses are covered by whom, what tack will be used and what vet/farrier/dentist you want used on your horse.

Oh, I forgot to add, I'd make sure he is insured too.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:15 am

The event for which he would be leased will take place out of state, across country really. He would stay at his current facility, in his current stall, under supervision of his current trainer, until that time and then return immediately after, which would be the end of the lease. During the event, he would stay under the supervision of his trainer. Yes, insurance and understanding on liability would be required.

I'm considering this for 3 reasons, and to be honest with myself I'm considering them in this order of priority.

1. The money. The initial lease fee (on top of all his expenses for the month) that was mentioned is worth a second thought. Honestly I wouldn't even consider it as a free or cheap lease. This is despite #2 and #3.
2. I am not able to ride nearly as much as I would like due to now spending 2-3 weeks out of each month out of the country for work.
3. To help the girl out. They are thinking of "borrowing" a horse just for the event, which would mean she only has a few days at most to get to know him. Bring able to ride mine for the few weeks leading up would be a definite advantage for her.

ETA: Sorry to be cryptic - the event is the dressage seat medal finals.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:22 am

capstone wrote:The event for which he would be leased will take place out of state, across country really. He would stay at his current facility, in his current stall, under supervision of his current trainer, until that time and then return immediately after, which would be the end of the lease. Yes, insurance and understanding on liability would be required.

I'm considering this for 3 reasons, and to be honest with myself I'm considering them in this order of priority.

1. The money. The initial lease fee (on top of all his expenses for the month) that was mentioned is worth a second thought. Honestly I wouldn't even consider it as a free or cheap lease. This is despite #2 and #3.
2. I am not able to ride nearly as much as I would like due to now spending 2-3 weeks out of each month out of the country for work.
3. To help the girl out. They are thinking of "borrowing" a horse just for the event, which would mean she only has a few days at most to get to know him. Bring able to ride mine for the few weeks leading up would be a definite advantage for her.

ETA: Sorry to be cryptic - the event is the dressage seat medal finals.

I'm too much of a control freak to be comfortable with that scenario. A lot of things can go wrong with a cross country trip and competition, even if you're involved and you know the horse best. $$$$ would not make the risk worth it for me.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:25 am

Fatcat wrote:I'm too much of a control freak to be comfortable with that scenario. A lot of things can go wrong with a cross country trip and competition, even if you're involved and you know the horse best. $$$$ would not make the risk worth it for me.

Yes, I am a CF as my friends call it as well. The fact that money is the main reason I'm considering it is not a good sign.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:29 pm

If you are a control freak, you will be unhappy. I began a shareboard with a CF and it epically crashed and burned because of her. She didn't want to shareboard but needed to financially. Last I knew she was not shareboarding the horse.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:24 pm

Just as a counter point: we used to share horses pretty freely within my pony club, when my kids were involved. I always liked to see one of my horses ridden by another rider. They'd get something out of him that we didn't, and we'd see other tough areas arise for that rider that weren't tough for us. It was a kind of checkpoint in some ways.

Plus, of course, many of the upper level kids were better riders than I was, and they made my horse look stunning!

We generally figured the supervision of the trainers and teams was pretty stellar.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:34 pm

You need to truly trust your trainer for this to be okay (for any amount of money). And of course your horse needs to be well insured. Good luck.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:11 am

I technically own a horse that has been out on a free lease for 17 years. I don't even check up on her any more because I know she's well cared for and has had a great life. She's 26 years old now. My situation is very different from yours, but with your trainer involved I'd probably be okay with it. And I am a control freak, but something about the situation just seems okay to me. However, none of us are you so it really is up to what works for you.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:48 am

It is not uncommon for riders to lease a horse for an event. Yes it is not that uncommon in certain fields or levels. My friend leased her foresee to an FEI young rider and it included international travel. The horse was treated very well and returned safe and sound and with only a few little riding differences that were easily ironed out.

My first FEI horse was leased. Until he became mine. I would never had had the opportunity to ride at that level without the generosity of his owners. Alrhough the finances were favorable to then too, they had to be generous and trusting too.

And yes, I know it's a different level, but pony clubbers use my horses for shows every year. Fortunately it has always been a positive thing.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”