#rideforolivia

Shirrine
Herd Member

#rideforolivia

Postby Shirrine » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:50 am

Last weekend a talented much loved member of the Australian eventing community lost her life doing what she loved.
This has now become a world wide FB tribute to her. If you are on FB the post your favorite pic of you with your horse under the heading of #rideforoliver.

"a young girl of 17 lost her life in a tragic accident competing on her beloved horse who also did not survive the accident. In memory the family has asked riders to post favorite pictures with your horse in her honor."

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Re: #rideforolivia

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:22 pm

And make sure you tag your photo with #rideforolivia. An artist is taking all of the photos with this tag and making a mosaic of Olivia and her horse out of them. It's going to be gorgeous.

Over 1.8 million photos have been submitted so far, as reported on various media outlets.

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:44 pm

I saw this and at first thought it was just for Australians. But I realized that it wasn't and submitted my own photo.

It is a beautiful thing to do

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:33 pm

Even Olympians got involved, was wonderful to see how the world of equestrians got involved. I hope it helped her family and friends.

Shirrine

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:15 am

They can only use about a hundred photos for the actual mosaic, they have not decided what they are going to do with the many thousands of other photos they got, ( last i read) but it has been interesting to look at all the photos

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:30 pm

The mosaic has been completed and it is gorgeous. I would venture to say that they used quite a bit more than 100 photos, but definitely not all. Last count I saw was more than 22 million photos were tagged.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:08 pm

it is lovely, and yes it seems to be much more than a hundred used. i hope mine is somewhere in there, they probably started with aussies, and eventers and olympians, ( maybe) so mine might not be there but the thought is

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:07 pm

Here is a better photo and wow, did they use a lot of photos. I bet you're in there Chisamba!

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:05 pm

They used 200 photos, this is so clever. They will decide what to do with the rest.

Shirrine

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:47 am

While the outpouring of support for the family is truly wonderful, I cringe every time I see a #rideforolivia post. Why? Because in eventing I can no longer consider these tragedies "accidents". An accident is an unforeseen calamity. These frequent injuries and deaths are now only that- frequently occurring catastrophes whose occurrence can be minimized by changes in course and jump design. If there is a way to lessen the chance of just one more person getting injured or killed- why don't we do that? Because current eventing wouldn't be challenging enough? I challenge any modern eventer to get through an older-style event and say it wasn't a test of courage, conditioning, brains, and strength.

I am sorry for Olivia and her family's loss. I am also sorry for all of those others who have been devastatingly injured or killed, who didn't have a social media campaign to offer support to their families. They all deserve a thoughtful examination of why these injuries keep happening so frequently.

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:05 am

Sometimes these things take on a life of their own. To me this has been a tribute to all who lose their lives and to the horse world in general.

Shirrine

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:38 am

Scruffy, I feel the same way. So many people are saying it's an accident (true, these things do happen) but I want people to start questioning why is it happening, and how can it be prevented!! Not "Oh well, shit happens' in the true Aussie way.

However, I believe there is a committee forming to look into what happened. I hope for eventing's sake that people start wanting to look more at why it's happening.

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:06 am

I agree. The whole campaign makes me queasy. There are problems with the sport. One of them is permitting a child of 17 to compete at that level.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:23 am

People who ride eventing, like football players, car drivers and let's say smokers, all know the risks when that choose to pursue their sport. So do downhill skiers and other xtreme sports.

I think it's so typical of modern helicopter society to act as though ask risk should be removed from life. That said, at seventeen I read of horses collapsing at an international event and stopped eventing because I knew that I would not be prepared to ride my horses to death for the sake of sport.

So I have no problem with humans doing risky things to themselves, but I do dislike sports that are life threatening to animals, but if we are going to be honest, a lot more horses die on the race tracks than in eventing. So the triple crown bothers me a lot more than eventing.

Jmpo

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”