Dressage at Rolex- good seats?

martha sc
Novice

Dressage at Rolex- good seats?

Postby martha sc » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:06 pm

Does anyone have any advice on seat selection in the stadium on Friday for the dressage ? I'm getting tickets and can't tell from the diagram, they all look about the same. Covered would be nice if it rains, but if it's cold, and it can be, sun is better.
Suggestions?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Dressage at Rolex- good seats?

Postby PaulaO » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:51 pm

They are all good seats. I always get uncovered, down in the front, close to the ring. Covered are higher up. I like to have seats in the rows closest to the arena, in the middle section, on an aisle. I'm picky!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:02 pm

I'd be afraid to get uncovered. The weather at Rolex is SOOOOOOO variable.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:26 pm

If it rains, you pop open your umbrella. If it's sunny, you put on a hat, or pop open your umbrella!

Back in the olden days when show jumping was on grass and you didn't buy a seat, just crowded around the arena or sat on the free bleachers, it rained so hard that a) I ended up smoking under a goose neck trailer with a bunch of other smokers and b) we got soaked down through our underwear. But that is also the year we saw Mark Todd, Dan Jocelyn, and I can't remember the 3rd person, all sitting on their horses, in a row, waiting their turn. It's all worth it.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:39 pm

I remember the good ole days. I watched Kim Severson before she was Severson running in her first four star. I don't think we bought seats for dressage either. Just pulled up a patch of grass as I recall (but that was a LOOOONNNGGG time ago). I think Andrew Hoy won that year.

Nope, just went and looked it was Blyth Tait.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:02 pm

2000 was my favorite year with BT winning. Kim had no rails in hand and BT jumped a clear round. Looked like Kim was going to win but she dropped a rail in the last or second to last jump. My friend and I just clutched each other--we figured we'd get lynched if we cheered! We were the only BT fans in the whole place.

Nope, back in the old days when it was a real 3 day, you didn't have to buy any seats......I miss those days. Now I go for nostalgia, and to see beautiful horses.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:31 pm

PaulaO wrote:2000 was my favorite year with BT winning. Kim had no rails in hand and BT jumped a clear round. Looked like Kim was going to win but she dropped a rail in the last or second to last jump. My friend and I just clutched each other--we figured we'd get lynched if we cheered! We were the only BT fans in the whole place.

Nope, back in the old days when it was a real 3 day, you didn't have to buy any seats......I miss those days. Now I go for nostalgia, and to see beautiful horses.

My friend and I were rooting for Blythe Tait to win too! Or Kim. Didn't matter to us. It was so much fun. It's fun now too but back then....it was GREAT. I remember that my friend was so excited to see David OConnor and get her picture taken with him.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:19 am

Should we have a DDBB meet up this year? We can find a tent that sells bourbon......

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Ky. bourbon is the best! I'm from Cynthiana, just north of the Horse Park, I can drink some Bourbon. I'm there Friday and Sat. how can we find, and recognize each other?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:52 pm

Saturday is too crazy to try to meet. Friday will be best. We'll put our thinking caps on as for a place to meet.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Got my tickets in the mail over the weekend. I'm ready to rock and Rolex. There is an patio bar at Bob Mickler's in the trade fair (the outdoor part, the fancy one). We will set up a time to meet there and have 4 Stars.

I know Jenn and her husband will be there cuz I'm meeting up with them. Any other Rolexers?????

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”