Trot poles

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Trot poles

Postby Hayburner » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:03 pm

We have trot poles at the barn that I can use, but they need to moved from the back of the indoor to where I want them and then must be put back.

These poles are freaking HEAVY! I can barely even drag them! I do not have a strong back.

Any suggestions on what I can use instead of heavy woooden poles?

At the old barn they had plastic pvc pipe, but I have seen them break and they are super sharp when broken.

Pool noodles, maybe taped or glued together?

StraightForward

Re: Trot poles

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:30 pm

A few years ago I bought some used jumps. There were two 12' wood poles included; I think they are about 3.5" diameter. I cut them down to make 4 6' long cavaletti and they are way easier to handle. I don't mind the narrower width and would even be fine with 4' as long as they aren't being used to create a fan or other curved pattern.

I suppose pool noodles might work for a careful horse; maybe if you bought the bigger ones and put a little sand or something in them for weight and plugged the ends? Not sure they would hold up well to being stepped on, and the way my horses are, once they stepped on it and discovered it was soft, I think they might quit trying to step over.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:55 pm

There's no incentive to step over something squishy when it's just as easy to step on it.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:27 am

Thank you for the replies

Hadn't really thought about what would happen if my horse stepped on the pool noodle and it breaking so easily. Tho, I do think sand inside might help.

Gonna hit the local lumber yard/mill and maybe they have something lighter in weight for me to use

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:23 am

it is true, heavy poles are a pain to carry but l like them best. they move least if knocked by the horse and it can be exceptionally irritating when riding alone, to have to stop, get off, adjust the pole and then get on again.

of course I have the advantage of being able to leave the gymnastic out for a few days

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:33 pm

I think pool noodles are a great idea. You can get the at the $1 store. They will degrade eventually, but they'll be OK. (I've had some in my pasture for years as play toys.) I think the least of your worries are that the horse will be OK with stepping on them. I think they color will be more of an incentive to pick up their feet then knocking them.

Return to “Dressage Training”