Alternatives to MTG?

HafDressage
Herd Member

Alternatives to MTG?

Postby HafDressage » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:55 pm

My boy likes to scratch his fanny from time to time (not his tail, more just general backside of rump area) and usually using a little mtg helps prevent this. BUT, I hate MTG. It stinks, it leaves a residue, and it turns his coat and tail dark.

So, what other products have you guys found work well for various itchy situations?

martha sc
Novice

Re: Alternatives to MTG?

Postby martha sc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:04 pm

not what you asked, but have you checked that he doesn't need his sheath cleaned, or have bites or ticks on the 'nether regions' ?

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:50 am

Hi Martha - Yes, those are common suspects, but not the culprit in his case. I clean his sheath super regularly and groom him 5 days a week. Every once in awhile he just decides to rub fanny. I also put a ton of diaper rash cream all over the underside of his dock and inbetween his hind legs every time I groom him. He gets swamp fanny and so that will make him rub sometimes. The diaper rash cream does a pretty good job of keeping that under control.

Does anybody use anything other than MTG?

awa
Novice

Postby awa » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:58 am

Calm Coat topical

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:15 am

Listerine was suggested by my vet.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Feeding flax might help his itches. If nothing else, flax will probably make his coat shine more.

Melody
Novice

Postby Melody » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:40 pm

I had no luck with MTG and yes it stinks. Also tried calm coat on a horse once on her tail area and it scalded her. One thing I use to use that worked was scalpicin for people designed for itching. My Shire use to rub her butt and her mane every spring. She never could grow a mane. Put her on this: http://www.su-perstore.com/m7/sfefarrie ... mbles.html really for her hooves but a nice side affect, no more rubbing tail or mane. I had heard from somewhere that hoof supplements can help. She finally has a mane now.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:59 pm

I think MTG is just mineral oil and sulphur isn't it? With some liquid smoke added ;)

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:00 pm

To answer your question though, IME, nothing kills itch better than Panalog ointment, it's got a pretty strong dose of steroid to it.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:21 am

I second flax, only I use there oil, excellent for skin itches, and and immune boost.

I am so sceptical about supplements and nutrition fakasueticals...fake nutriceuticals, but flax really really helped a very itchy highly allergic gelding live a few extra years of happy life.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon May 02, 2016 4:00 am

Chisamba wrote:I second flax, only I use there oil, excellent for skin itches, and and immune boost.

I am so sceptical about supplements and nutrition fakasueticals...fake nutriceuticals, but flax really really helped a very itchy highly allergic gelding live a few extra years of happy life.

I love flax oil too, but i use it on the inside not applied topically. I'm not sure which way you meant ;) I agree on the skepticism as well. That said, Freeway had a real tendency towards gooby eyes (he wore a flymask 24/7 about 9 months of the year BUT as long as he got daily flax oil, it wasn't really an issue. Run out, and in a week he'd be a bit of a mess. Allergies and the flax oil magically helped? I don't know, but it worked, so I always (and still do) feed it.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Quelah wrote:
Chisamba wrote:I second flax, only I use there oil, excellent for skin itches, and and immune boost.

I love flax oil too, but i use it on the inside not applied topically. I'm not sure which way you meant ;) I agree on the skepticism as well. That said, Freeway had a real tendency towards gooby eyes (he wore a flymask 24/7 about 9 months of the year BUT as long as he got daily flax oil, it wasn't really an issue. Run out, and in a week he'd be a bit of a mess. Allergies and the flax oil magically helped? I don't know, but it worked, so I always (and still do) feed it.

Yes, i was not clear, internally as a nutritional supplement is how i use it

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:42 pm

I feed flax and/or chia, but have one horse with sweet itch who needs extra help. I've used Kill Itch by Carr and Day and Martin and love that stuff. It's expensive but you don't have to use it very often once you get the itchies under control. It saved my horse's mane and tail last year. I went through two bottles total, about $80.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon May 09, 2016 9:05 pm

Another flax supporter here. My gelding gets the goopy eyes from allergies as mentioned above, and the flax does wonders for him. I would never have believed it had I not tried it.

Rocking the Sandbox
Greenie

Postby Rocking the Sandbox » Thu May 12, 2016 7:54 pm

MTG has come out with a scented alternative to combat this common complaint

tempi20017
Greenie

Postby tempi20017 » Thu May 19, 2016 2:24 am

I love MTG for scratches, but be careful if you are showing. Horses will come up positive on a drug test, especially with the scented version. I don't know for what positive but my daughter's trainer strongly recommends she not use it.

Cymraes
Greenie

Postby Cymraes » Sun May 29, 2016 3:47 pm

Does flax help with sweet itch? Do you feed it whole or ground?

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Mon May 30, 2016 11:49 am

I know flax needs to be ground up and fed fresh to maintain it's benefits. I've just started feeding it to my horse and donkey.

How much does everyone feed at a time and how many times a day?

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Mon May 30, 2016 4:46 pm

Saddlebum wrote:I know flax needs to be ground up and fed fresh to maintain it's benefits. I've just started feeding it to my horse and donkey.

How much does everyone feed at a time and how many times a day?

I feed HorseTech's stabilized ground flaxseed product, Nutraflax. It won't go rancid, and has a balanced Ca:P ratio. I feed a half cup a day. You can feed more, but mine are on weight control diets.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Mon May 30, 2016 10:31 pm

I feed the same brand as fatcat, HorseTech. I feed 1/2 cup twice daily. You can also buy whole flax and grind it in a coffee grinder right before you feed it.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Tue May 31, 2016 1:51 am

Here is a good article I found about Flax Seed and the benefits to horses, whether to grind or not to grind...

http://www.understanding-horse-nutritio ... -seed.html

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”